• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson builds... 2013 vs 2014

Smolder

the 2013 builds were highly touted... was it hype? I assume it was to make up for the wood raid fiasco and related PR. How are the 2014's in comparison? I'm mostly interested in an SG Standard, but I assume the same care goes into product SGs and Les Pauls.

Anybody compared them year for year?

goldtop0

No not hype, the '14s are also good LPs with one '50s spec improvement, hide glue for the neck/fretboard.
Some of the R8 tops are just good and flamey.

Big Al

The Historics and the Memphis stuff just seems to be brilliant since 2013. Very good stuff.

JimFog

I recently picked up a 2013 Traditional.......8.5lbs, with no weight relief. It's simply an outstanding instrument, no matter the price point. I haven't been able to compare it to 2014's, but I'd like to.

buckaroo

Formerly Tweedguy
IMO the 2013 and 2014 are all great guitars. I think after the 2012 guitars Gibson knew they had to deliver. I bought two 2013 (335) and three 2014 (Les Paul) models.

The Gibson 2014 Benchmark Les Pauls in particular seem to have really good sounding wood. I have played about two dozen of those and all were really resonant guitars with just KILLER tone. I believe that there is something legit to the marketing that suggests the best wood is for those Benchmark guitars.

goldtop0

IMO the 2013 and 2014 are all great guitars. I think after the 2012 guitars Gibson knew they had to deliver. I bought two 2013 (335) and three 2014 (Les Paul) models.

The Gibson 2014 Benchmark Les Pauls in particular seem to have really good sounding wood. I have played about two dozen of those and all were really resonant guitars with just KILLER tone. I believe that there is something legit to the marketing that suggests the best wood is for those Benchmark guitars.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't those Benchmark LPs available from only one dealer?

Smolder

Well I ended up buying an SG Standard from each year. It's a small sampling I now, but we'll see how it shakes out.

Texas Blues

You bought 2 ES's and 3 LP's in 2 years?

I hate your stinkin' guts! :rofl

Who do you think you are?

Mike Slubowski?

Love ya' Mike. :dude:

dragonfire

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't those Benchmark LPs available from only one dealer?

They are available from 4 dealers:

Wildwood Guitars
Dave's Guitars
Rainbow Guitars
The Music Zoo

And generally, they are most excellent guitars with high attention to detail, weight and more importantly for me, 10% underwound humbuckers - which seem to my ear to be much more vintage oriented and really show off in the overtones department!