• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Neil Young with "Old Black" and a cranked up Tweed Deluxe

style0

Nice, now if I can come up with some cash to go see Crazy Horse in Chicago. Neil aint coming any closer to St. Louis this time, and I bet this will be the last time to get to see the Horse.

Ryan Givhan

i love Neil and his tone. but he has a huge pedal board and a huge midi board. so its not quite strait into a great amp.

MS 57

Great clip ! Thanks for posting.
I saw Neil live in 2008 and that concert is very high on my all time greatest list. He gave it all and touched my soul.

Shakeyjake

i love Neil and his tone. but he has a huge pedal board and a huge midi board. so its not quite strait into a great amp.

Not so many pedal's.

This is what I've read or been told over he years.

BF1 Flanger hardly used.
Mu-Tron Octave Divider used with MXR 118
Alesis Microverb hardly used.

His signal usually goes through tube Echoplex and Fender Reverb unit.

The 'Whizzer' is used to control these effect's and alter amp setting's
on the fly.

Le Noise tour quite different..no whizzer.
Bass pedal's (Roland/Korg) and Korg SDD3000,..and a bunch of old Tweeds.

John Smolakis

Not quite true... the board controls the Whizzer primarily, as well as a flanger, Boss delay, and perhaps reverb. But only very occasionally. I've never heard him use anything that sounded like one of those effects before that I can remember.

zombiwoof

Not quite true... the board controls the Whizzer primarily, as well as a flanger, Boss delay, and perhaps reverb. But only very occasionally. I've never heard him use anything that sounded like one of those effects before that I can remember.

His sound is mostly the combination of the old tweed Deluxe, along with a Baldwin ss amp and a Magnatone mixed in a little (the other amps are usually hidden inside the "giant Fender" prop amps behind him). The effects are only used for his "freak-out" sound (like "My, My, Hey, Hey" for instance), generally it's just guitar into amp with reverb. The 3 amps are mixed into his own personal monitor system, with the sound of the Deluxe dominating. His setup is detailed on the net, even though he has those few effects they are only used sporadically, in certain songs. All distortion comes from the tweed Deluxe, no OD or distortion pedals are used.

Al

John Smolakis

His sound is mostly the combination of the old tweed Deluxe, along with a Baldwin ss amp and a Magnatone mixed in a little (the other amps are usually hidden inside the "giant Fender" prop amps behind him). The effects are only used for his "freak-out" sound (like "My, My, Hey, Hey" for instance), generally it's just guitar into amp with reverb. The 3 amps are mixed into his own personal monitor system, with the sound of the Deluxe dominating. His setup is detailed on the net, even though he has those few effects they are only used sporadically, in certain songs. All distortion comes from the tweed Deluxe, no OD or distortion pedals are used.

Al

Right, right. The Baldwin is SS?!?! I didn't know that.

Neil's pretty much my all-time favorite musician, for what it's worth. This tone is to die for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u5gCiKq9Zc

:XRE

NeilYoungV.jpg

j45

Neil's pretty much my all-time favorite musician, for what it's worth.

One of my top ten for sure. Whenever I'm at a loss for inspiration he's one of the few I'll go to.

I saw Neil live in 2008 and that concert is very high on my all time greatest list. He gave it all and touched my soul.

I find his guitar playing very similar to MacLaughlin's "Mahavishnu" personna on Inner Mounting Flame and Birds Of Fire specifically. At times there was so much of the players's personality and heart exposed that all barriers that exist between the studio recording process and the listener are broken down and overcome to the point that you literally feel like you are in a heart to heart, one on one conversation with person through his instrument....it's really overwhelming. It's the pinnacle of communicating through music IMO. Jimi, Miles, and many others could do it but I don't think it has been captured on record with a guitar to a greater level than what is on those first two Mahavishnu records and then some moments with Neil. If I could only know what it's like to spend just spend one minute in that zone that Neil sometimes plays in I think my quest as a musician would be fulfilled.

DonR

Kerry,

Check out Anders Osborne. A perfect blend of neil young and lowell george.

DonR

j45

Kerry,

Check out Anders Osborne. A perfect blend of neil young and lowell george.

DonR

I know Anders. Heard him play around since he moved here about 20 years ago. Very good songwriter, too.