• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

All mahogany models?

rufes

Formerly dmartinez
Gibson has made some all mahogany models over the years. With Mahogany tops or just without any top.

- Some Black beauties (but I don't know which ones)
- Les Paul Studio Vintage Mahogany
- Some custom shop....

I would highly appreciate your input on this matter

Ryan Givhan

the only black beauties were the 50's and 60 LPC (body was one piece) and the new reissues which are a one piece back and then a book matched mahogany top.

Thunder Dump

From about Q3 2011 - Q2 2012 they made the Traditional Mahogany in four colors, in both left- and right-hand models that had mahogany bodies and mahogany backs. Satin finishes:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Ele...-USA/Les-Paul-Traditional-Mahogany-Satin.aspx

I really enjoy mine:
tradmag-12.jpg

tradmag-49.jpg

Ad_02Std

the only black beauties were the 50's and 60 LPC (body was one piece) and the new reissues which are a one piece back and then a book matched mahogany top.

I read that the 50th Anniversary 1960 Custom reissue was one piece, without a separate top.

CPM55

I am pretty sure that all of the 53-61 vintage Black Beauties were one piece solid mahogany and so were the '72 '54 reissues. I also believe that the 50th Anniversary and recent 20th Anniversary issues were also one piece all mahogany bodies like the originals.
All the new Customs that have Ebony fret boards I belive are solid one piece mahogany bodies with a maple cap.

Big Al

Firebrands, some Classic's and Standards came in LTD ED Mahogany tops. Studio Worn Brown and Worn Cherry, most all Jrs, Specials, Jr Specials, Melodymaker, SG, Explorer, Flying Vee, Firebirds, and Les Paul Personal, Professional, Recording as well as som Mauraders and S1's.

All mahogany or mostly Mahogany represent the bulk of Gibson Solidbody models. For damn good reason. Tone, easy to work and visual as well as sonic appeal.

Sct13

This is solid Mahogany, smells great! Plays nice and growls at me when she's feeling mean. Middle position is very thick strat on steroids.

2000 R4 #16 of 50 according to Gibson

IMG_7977.jpg

Wally

All-mahogany versus mahogany with maple cap was an area where Les Paul disagreed with Gibson's decisions as I have read. Les Paul thought that the lower priced Standards should have been all-mahogany and that the Customs should have had the maple cap.
Sct13 and ThnuderBump, I like those two guitars you have. Sharp looking instruments.

Big Al

All-mahogany versus mahogany with maple cap was an area where Les Paul disagreed with Gibson's decisions as I have read. Les Paul thought that the lower priced Standards should have been all-mahogany and that the Customs should have had the maple cap.
Sct13 and ThnuderBump, I like those two guitars you have. Sharp looking instruments.

Wally, I've read that interview with Les. I have it around somewhere. It's from the late 70's or 80's. It is a load of crap. Les had no input on the design of the Les Paul guitar other than color and his bridge. Gibson had already made the guitar when he agreed to endorse it. As there was only the one model and no other to choose. How could Gibson have gotten it wrong?

There was no Custom or Jr or Special model in 52, nor had they been concieved. It was not common for Gibson to make various grades of a single model, instead having seperate ones, ES125, ES150, ES175, ect..
With the successful run of Les Paul Model guitars Gibson had to expand the range to cover all price points. The agreement with Gibson meant ALL solidbody guitars made would be Les Paul guitar's. All designed by Gibson.

I have read in some interviews in the 50's 60's where he claims it was his idea for the all Mahogany bodies of Customs. I find it interesting to note that all three new models had one piece mahogany bodies. AS did all of the post 60 models.

John Potter

Sorry to drag this back on topic, but Gibson also made a run of all Mahogany '58 Reissues. I used to own one and it was nice.
I saw recently that Dave's Guitar Shop has one available... hmmm...

neuroy

What about the 1972 ´54 limited edition RI´s ?
How were they built ?