• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

help me indentify this Dog Ear P-90

DanD

Is that a new to you SG JR? If so, where did you purchase it? :hmm

Kris Ford

Might be one of those Epi import P90's
yep, I was thinking the same..the lack of braided wire and that baseplate is not anything Gibson..
Also, looks like this Junior has had the same mod as mine...

...which isn't always a bad thing..at least the dogear cover hides the sins of the past for the OP's..but on mine, the damage is done, with out having a lil body work done..fortunately, the HB (unpotted BB2 in mine) actually sounds amazing..but so would a period correct P90.
I would have to see all of the pickguard to tell if it's a real one..but is pretty unwarped..pretty much EVERY one I've seen has some kind of warp or distortion in the screw holes..:hmm

karl1

Please see my post about help with my 64 junior in the others part of this site- it is a KD copy of the pick guard- this I knew- yes it was routed- as you see in the pics I am filling it back in and touching up- I can post a pic- it is a player of a guitar so I am not too concerned with looks- I think it is an Epi or a All Parts from the 80's- funny thing is it sounds wonderful- I am tempted to leave it in.

Kris Ford

Ouch..those peghead holes look a lil rough..in order to go back to the three on a strip Klusons, you'd need a conversion bushing..BUT, hope they would fit! But aren't the right look, and would have the circular dents from the Grover washers..they originally had small grommet type bushings like this: (my old '69 for comparison)

So without some serious plug and drill and refin action, those damn dents will always show..which IMO, always looks worse than Grovers..
The holes in mine were waay worse than yours, so without a total redo of the headstock, I'm stuck with Grovers...which is fine by me..I actually prefer them..you can see where the finish chipped from the dumbass who prolly used a drill on high speed to ream those holes out..luckily, the washers cover most of that mess..

As for the mess under my HB..again, crudely done, but is completely covered by the HB and vintage M-8 (it had some non Gibson ring and an old Duncan Distortion in it when I got it)..and it actually sounds phenomenal! And suits my needs more with a humbucker, than a P90..has original pots and cap though..both CTS 500K, 137 65 04, very early in '65..
Mine had a Badass on it when I got it, didn't care for the way it looked...I'm currently rockin' an original lightning bar, thanks to Forum Brother Kharrison, :salude with a wound G, but may have to give Dan at Mojoaxe a holler if I wanna gig with it, OR build up finger strength!! I usually bend the hell out of the G when I do leads, and man, is a wound one a tough bugger to get to sing!

So it stays..until I get the itch to completely restore it, which I may or may not ever do, I've just accepted that the damage was done on this poor girl, but sounds KILLER.which is probably why so many of these Juniors had this "treatment" done to them..guess the P90 sound isn't for everyone..I for one would NEVER do such things to Kalamazoo old wood, but since the damage was done, and no budget to repair/restore properly..(if it couldn't be done to where the repairs are INVISIBLE..I'd always know they were there, and that would bug the shit out of me...)I can live with it.:)

Best of luck with yours!:salude

karl1

Thanks Kris for the info- I tried 90's grovers on it and the foundation was too big- the grovers on it were from the 70's- and had a smaller foundation- not the actual shaft you wind on to- I bet I can fit the Klusons in those holes...what do you think- I will find out Tuesday....at this point I am not worried about looks- BTW yours is killer...I already ordered a wrap from Dan.

karl1

BTW- I have lots of old parts- the hole is too small for even tulip style Gibson plastic or modern Klusons with the white round tuners. Do you think he drilled it out or are the messed up parts of the wood from getting the old original bushings out?

Kris Ford

Thanks Kris for the info- I tried 90's grovers on it and the foundation was too big- the grovers on it were from the 70's- and had a smaller foundation- not the actual shaft you wind on to- I bet I can fit the Klusons in those holes...what do you think- I will find out Tuesday....at this point I am not worried about looks- BTW yours is killer...I already ordered a wrap from Dan.

BTW- I have lots of old parts- the hole is too small for even tulip style Gibson plastic or modern Klusons with the white round tuners. Do you think he drilled it out or are the messed up parts of the wood from getting the old original bushings out?
Thanks for the compliment!:salude I love this guitar!:yah
The damage could very well be from haphazard drilling..those grommet bushings were barely press fit originally..The Klusons should fit no problem, but not sure if an adapter bushing will..the holes appear to be too blown out for a regular size one..so I guess you'd have to try both...worst case scenario is if that the hole is too large for regular bushing, but too small for conversion bushing...I'd just ream it to accommodate the conversion bushing, which probably isn't all that much..on mine, I could strangle whoever went balls out with the electric drill..the holes are less than straight, to put it nicely..fortunately enough, the holes are straight in the back, which allow the Grovers to seat properly and the wandering end gets covered by the Grovers washer..but you could see how it took a couple of chunks with it..GRRRR..but, it's part of it's life...again, I'm a Grover fan, so I'm good with this being done to mine.
Also noticed yours never had a vibrola..I had a '64 (back in the early '90's..) that never had one as well..and look at the headstock LOL..another Grover'd one..back then, I actually thought the Badass was an upgrade..but it was Grover'd long before me..

karl1

Kool Kris! I will try to make it work. I will tell you- I met my match as far as buying a guitar sight unseen goes with this one that is- this is my 89th Gibson - please do not laugh- I play them all- of late my biggest problem is which to play out with- I play at least once a week out...mostly solo of late- I am tempted to bring it to Wednesdays gig.....But getting back to this- 0 feedback e-bayer- would not respond to questions- I took a chance and got a partial refund cause of all this nonsense. I am happy- It has been played- and for good reason- wide nut- wonderful neck - but that intonation!!!!! I spent 4 hours the first day trying to get it right....I even but a badass on just to see if it really could be right! It did work...I know it looks funky by the pickup but it is a player- nuff said- I really do not like grovers- I feel it sucks tone out of the head stock- really- I never ever bend notes- keeping in tune is not a prob for me- with a good set-up I am ready to go. I will post changes on Tuesday---I actually play Tuesday solo also- maybe I will have it done by 6pm.

Kris Ford

Kool Kris! I will try to make it work. I will tell you- I met my match as far as buying a guitar sight unseen goes with this one that is- this is my 89th Gibson - please do not laugh- I play them all- of late my biggest problem is which to play out with- I play at least once a week out...mostly solo of late- I am tempted to bring it to Wednesdays gig.....But getting back to this- 0 feedback e-bayer- would not respond to questions- I took a chance and got a partial refund cause of all this nonsense. I am happy- It has been played- and for good reason- wide nut- wonderful neck - but that intonation!!!!! I spent 4 hours the first day trying to get it right....I even but a badass on just to see if it really could be right! It did work...I know it looks funky by the pickup but it is a player- nuff said- I really do not like grovers- I feel it sucks tone out of the head stock- really- I never ever bend notes- keeping in tune is not a prob for me- with a good set-up I am ready to go. I will post changes on Tuesday---I actually play Tuesday solo also- maybe I will have it done by 6pm.

AWESOME! Looking forward to hearing your report!!:salude

karl1

Played it tonight- at the Gig- unbelievable- raw- cool- but rubber neck- new tuners and wrap from Danelectro- super- the in line Klusons bushings did fit Kris- more photos to follow- I can see why Les took his name off of this- sorry- but you really have to be careful when playing these- but it is worth it- truly a rock and roll machine. My 69 Special neck is much more stable but no dog ear.....and my Jr. weighs 6lbs!

Kris Ford

Played it tonight- at the Gig- unbelievable- raw- cool- but rubber neck- new tuners and wrap from Danelectro- super- the in line Klusons bushings did fit Kris- more photos to follow- I can see why Les took his name off of this- sorry- but you really have to be careful when playing these- but it is worth it- truly a rock and roll machine. My 69 Special neck is much more stable but no dog ear.....and my Jr. weighs 6lbs!
Right on Karl!! Glad the bushings worked out, couldn't really tell from the pics if they would or not..
I don't notice a tremendous amount of neck flex on mine when standing up, but I do when sitting down to play..:hmm
Have had good luck so far..Unless the neck pulls right out of the pocket...which happened to me actually..wasn't mine, but happened when I was trying a '63 or '64 Junior out at a guitar store!! The owner was standing there as I wailed away, and I had already decided to give the man his $599 {in the early '90's} and go home and have a nice Junior..UNTIL I gripped the neck to unplug it and watched in horror as it damn near folded like a lawn chair...screw and strap button on my lap, which was probably the only thing holding the neck in..He wasn't pissed at all, asked me if I still wanted it, that I could get some wood glue and a larger strap button screw, and I would be set..I passed..kinda wish I had it now..woulda been an easy fix..

karl1

Kool story- I did play sitting down btw.....The Mojoaxe bridge is incredible- I had it up and running in 10 minutes.