• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

SLASH LP with DiMarzio's 36th

prolik

Hello!
I'm owner of Slash LP Signature Custom shop guitar. It is actuality first incarnation of the whole line :)
This guitar is chosen not because I love Slash so much, but more as it has slimmer neck and loved it in my hands.

So, this guitar has Alnico II Pro's Seymour Duncan pickups factory installed. Those are regular APH-1, not new Slash models.
Guitar originally sounded very aggressive, even shrill but really responsive.
I was able to smoothly play my fast blues licks and Slash songs sounded just as they should.

I wanted to try something less specific to that tone, to have option for more tonal choices.
I swap pickups a lot (BB's, BB pros, other Duncans etc..) and decided to try DiMarzio 36th anniversary.
Guitar now has more of the vintage to modern vibe, less shrill but more compressed and with a little "hair" to it. Regarding solos, it was blast!
DiMarzio's and Duncan's excel in that categories compared to Burstbuckers I also tried.

I recorded whole song on a Gibson Slash LP guitar loaded with DiMarzio pickups. I think it sounds contemporary but with enough vintage vibe to it. Kind of in the middle of the road.

Here is a link to whole song (studio recorded/mastered):
GORAN KOS - Izgubljeni Pas - YouTube

Let me know what you think about this swap? (and don't tell Slash) :dude:

-

Ryan Givhan

sounded good. seemed a bit over processed to really be able to pick out the nuances of the pickups.

Big Al

I liked the song, a lot!!! I've always been a fan of good pop music and even though I couldn't understand the lyrics I understand the rest. Excellent!!!!

I produced and recorded several bands with similar sound and I thought the guitar tones were very well recorded, and I liked the tone. Crunchy slash power chords were perfect with nice CaChunk bass and crunchy mids. The cleaner stuff had a nice airy twang without glass shards. Lots of compession, but appropriate for that style. I do like the 36th ANN DiMarzio PAF.

I don't find anything in the booteek pickup market that I can't get from Duncan or Dimarzio, usually better made and less dough. I can't think of better made or more knowledgeable pickup manufacturers or designers.

prolik

Thnx for your review.
Yes, I was also surprised how DiMarzios (and Duncans) can sound. People often bashing non-boutique pickups, but hey - how come those manufacturers become worldwide know if they did not have good product.

Overall, the guitar layers sound very nice and defined. I like the overall vintage to modern sound of the guitars.

:yah

Pat Boyack

Way too many players buy by brand and the mystique. Go with what works for your!! :peace2

Triburst

I really liked the tone for that song, especially on the descending chord licks just prior to the chorus. Very nice!:salude :dude:

John Potter

Thank you for sharing. I loved the song and video. Couldn't hear too many nuances with the pickups, but I have 36th Annis in one of my LPs and I love 'em too! You can really get a nice balance between all 3 positions with them.
Not to criticize, but if you, the bass player and the drummer all played to the descending lick, I think it would add a nice touch.
I also enjoyed how y'all kept getting more and more covered with 'whatever that stuff is'... (I'm just having brain-freeze!)
Keep up the good work and I wish you success!

lanman

Are you guys from the former Jugoslavia?

I thought that was a well put together song that was very catchy. REALLY nice work!

prolik

Are you guys from the former Jugoslavia?

I thought that was a well put together song that was very catchy. REALLY nice work!

Yeah, we are actually from Croatia which was part of Yugoslavia.
This is rebellious song about a man who finds his true way and is not "lost as a dog". :yah

Thnx for your comment
:dude:

Pat Boyack

I am half Croatian. My grandmother was from a small village near Gospic, Licki Novi. :yah

lanman

My last name is Setka. I live here in Los Angeles in a city called San Pedro that is known as a Croatian/Slav town. Used to be 50% Slavs and Italians as it was a popular migration destination due to it's fishing, proximity to the ocean and mediteranian climate. My Mom was from the island Murter and my father was from a small town near Metkovic. Might be coming out next summer for the first time to visit the homeland. Keep them pretty women happy until I get there!

Last edited:

prolik

Greetings to Pat Boyan and Setka!
I try to keep rock music going strong in the Croatia ! :dude: