• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Sunburst: How the Gibson Les Paul Standard became a legendary guitar by Tony Bacon

Big Al

I wish it was a better author. All of the Bacon books have some poor research and the same, often mislabled pics. I wouldn't hold my breath for new info.

Tom, that cover pic looks like the catalog Burst used to launch the Historic range. You could literaly write a book about that guitar and it's history. But I think you know all about that. :wah :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Tom, that cover pic looks like the catalog Burst used to launch the Historic range. You could literaly write a book about that guitar and it's history. But I think you know all about that. :wah :rolleyes:

No, I don't know about that guitar for certain.
I have seen several Les Pauls that were used in catalog photos. One belongs to a friend.
But it isn't the guitar in that photo. What's the story on it? :hmm

Big Al

As I remember it, that was THE guitar in all the magazine ads as well as the cover of the very first Gibson Historic Catalog. Numero Uno in most peoples minds. There was also a more authentic looking 60 Burst Reissue paired with that iconic big stripe 59 Reissue. That particular guitar was a big deal for many and became famous. I belive this was in 93.

Now I may be wrong, Tom, but I believe that was the guitar that was counterfeited with fake certificates, serial number and fake paperwork on a very similar looking R9. It was bought by a forum member and touted here at the forum.

Everything was OK till the TRUE owner of the TRUE guitar posted here to dispute the claim of the poor guy who unwittingly bought the forgery.

MAYHEM ENSUED!!!!!!

Tom, I thought you were here when the shit hit the fan.
OMG! Lawsuits, a big, BIG Historic dealer and a famous Les Paul enthusiasts and builder were involved, and it was a greedy, dirty mess that all played out here.

It happened and I think it was THAT very guitar at the center of it all. I hope so as I'm going on memory and it may have been anotherone, but I think it was that one.

Big Al

I can't double pick worth a damn but I rule at double posting.

saxosim

Thanks for the input I think I will leave the order standing just out of curiosity really to have a read when it is released as it isn't very expensive.

Al you certainly are king of double posts :)

Big Al

Thanks for the input I think I will leave the order standing just out of curiosity really to have a read when it is released as it isn't very expensive.

Al you certainly are king of double posts :)

Right now I'm at my computer, rare, as it is upstairs, and hard for me to access. I have been posting on my Playstation when not killing outlaws in Red Dead Redemption. I don't know why, no matter what I do it likes to double post. It takes me forever to post with that damn controller, and then I have to erase the double post one letter at a time!!!

I'll get the book, too. The price is why, and I have every other book, by everyone else.

MikeSlub

Administrator
As I remember it, that was THE guitar in all the magazine ads as well as the cover of the very first Gibson Historic Catalog. Numero Uno in most peoples minds. There was also a more authentic looking 60 Burst Reissue paired with that iconic big stripe 59 Reissue. That particular guitar was a big deal for many and became famous. I belive this was in 93.

Now I may be wrong, Tom, but I believe that was the guitar that was counterfeited with fake certificates, serial number and fake paperwork on a very similar looking R9. It was bought by a forum member and touted here at the forum.

Everything was OK till the TRUE owner of the TRUE guitar posted here to dispute the claim of the poor guy who unwittingly bought the forgery.

MAYHEM ENSUED!!!!!!

OMG! Lawsuits, a big, BIG Historic dealer and a famous Les Paul enthusiasts and builder were involved, and it was a greedy, dirty mess that all played out here.

It happened and I think it was THAT very guitar at the center of it all. I hope so as I'm going on memory and it may have been anotherone, but I think it was that one.

Al, the guitar on the book cover was the one that was used in the first Historic catalog in the 1993/94 timeframe. However, it is not the guitar over which there were two with the same serial number -- that was one of the 1999 40th Anniversary Les Pauls. In that instance, RD of Vintage World talked Tom Murphy into changing the serial number on a 1999 Historic to 9 9001 for a customer, and it was discovered by a Japanese collector, who owned the real 9 9001 and reported it to Gibson. The dealer subsequently lost his Gibson franchise over that one. :hank

Last edited:

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner

I probably was here, but I paid very little attention to Historics then, and not much more now. I'm pretty much a vintage guy.

The reissue Burst I know of is the one in the 1987 Gibson catalog, listed as Les Paul Reissue.

Big Al

I probably was here, but I paid very little attention to Historics then, and not much more now. I'm pretty much a vintage guy.

The reissue Burst I know of is the one in the 1987 Gibson catalog, listed as Les Paul Reissue.

Yeah, I had the guitar right, but I said I wasn't sure if it was that lawsuit/counterfeit one, said I remember it but obviously my memory is shot!! That is why I mentioned no names. I'm glad I was wrong about the guitar's nefarious history, as I certainly spent lots of time staring at that photo and dreaming of the day.

Tom I am an old fart but I don't think I'm old enough to be a vintage guy.

Big Al

Al, the guitar on the book cover was the one that was used in the first Historic catalog in the 1993/94 timeframe. However, it is not the guitar over which there were two with the same serial number -- that was one of the 1999 40th Anniversary Les Pauls. In that instance, RD of Vintage World talked Tom Murphy into changing the serial number on a 1999 Historic to 9 9001 for a customer, and it was discovered by a Japanese collector, who owned the real 9 9001 and reported it to Gibson. Ronn subsequently lost his Gibson franchise over that one. :hank

Yeah Mike, I got the catalog part right, (who could ever forget that!!!!), but the wrong guitar for the mayhem monkey business!! That's why I mentioned no names.

DANELECTRO

As Big Al said, the "burst" on Tony's book is the Historic that appeared on the cover of the 1993 Historic catalog, but it was not the one that was at the center of controversy. I believe Rob S (Lpflametop) is the current owner.

2nd from right

Bacon's book has not been released yet, so maybe the photo will change by the time it is printed. Prior to being released, the Amazon photo of Robb Lawence's "Les Paul Legacy" had an Epiphone Les Paul on the cover.