• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Sound difference ES-335 vs ES-350?

Bluuzman

:2cool Could anybody describe the sound difference ES-335 vs ES 350, both with P-90 pickups?

Axel

I didn't know there were any ES-335's with P-90's made.

GotTheSilver

Why the question?

I believe the OP had another thread recently where he said he had been bit by the hollowbody/semi-hollow bug and wanted to get educated on 335s.

Bluuzman - I am familiar with 335s, but have no first hand experience with the ES-350. Still, based solely on the specs, I would expect these to be very different sounding guitars, with different advantages/disadvantages in different situations. Structurally, they are very different guitars, especially if you are talking about the full depth 350 and not the thinline version 350T. Which one is a better choice for you depends on what you want to use it for. I'm sure people more familiar with the 350 will chime in and be more helpful than I can be on the sonic differences.

When you think about musicians whose sound you really like, what do they play?

bizzwriter

I used to have a '56 ES-350TN (just like Danny Gatton's with the spruce top). While it looked really cool (REALLY cool), it wasn't very good for playing leads. Not as much neck to work with as an ES-335 and the bridge kept moving around when I really tugged on the strings (floating wood bridge). Plus as I recall it had a shorter scale than the Gibson standard 24.75. I think it would be okay if you're mostly playing chords, but if you do a lot of leads, I would recommend the 335.

apossibleworld

I'm a big fan of 350Ts but they're a weird creature indeed. But hey, it's the first Chuck Berry guitar! The only way to make them play well is to use very heavy strings, which won't end up feeling so heavy with the short scale. That's probably why your bridge was moving around. You've got to use 12s or 13s or higher.

But to compare with a 335, well that's just apples and giraffes. Did the OP mean to write ES-330? Because that's a more sense-making comparison.

Bluuzman

Apples and bananas.

Why the question?

:2cool I have seen that some guitarists used an ES-335 to get the T-Bone Walker sound. Others used an ES-350 to get this sound. Especially, the ES-350 version with the push/pull potentiometer for the Bridge pickup shall deliver the T-Bone Walker sound.

bizzwriter

Sorry. Can't let this thread go any farther without a photo of my departed '56 ES-350TN. Last time I saw her, she was in a box headed to Belgium.

ebay063.jpg

MikeSlub

Administrator
Even the thinner ES-350 is going to sound very different from an ES-335 due to the completely hollow body of the 350 versus the center block 335. :hank

j45

I've had several 350's. One was pretty good. I much prefer the sound of a 330 with a more "Gibson-like" spacing of the pickups and the tone of the more traditional placement on the harmonic scale. 350T's never sound as rich and sweet (to my ear) as 330's. If I was going to pick from a pair of hollow vs. semi-hollow thinlines it would definitely be a 330 rather than 350. I do like 350T's but the bigger body with small, skinny neck is awkward to me and a 330 feels just right.

j45

The best thing about 350T's is the looks IMO. One of the most beautuiful guitars ever. This one was the prettiest I had but my '59 330 laid it completely to waste in every way imaginable:

3501.jpg

3504.jpg

3502.jpg

keef

:2cool I have seen that some guitarists used an ES-335 to get the T-Bone Walker sound. Others used an ES-350 to get this sound. Especially, the ES-350 version with the push/pull potentiometer for the Bridge pickup shall deliver the T-Bone Walker sound.

T Bone used various Gibsons. On his most famous T Bone Blues album - essential listening - he is pictured with a ES-5.

T-Bone_Walker.jpg

Elliot Easton

later on, t-bone used a kessell to get t-bone sound. which proves how important the guitar is,:lol :lol :lol