• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Why were LPs unpopular in the fifties?

Cliff Gress

Les Paul never wore his hair long. That's the reason the guitar that bore his name never made it big in the early days of rock 'n roll. Also, old Les lacked the bad boy mystique. No sideburns, no scowl, and no hip action, either. Without crazy passion, it's hard to start a revolution, baby.

And Leo had these qualities?!!!

jubelo

Les Paul was a wild and crazy driver behind the steering wheel of a 1950 Lincoln Cosmopolitan.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I love to see the documentary on the Wrecking Crew that was done by Tommy Tedesco's son.

I saw it in October, with Denny Tedesco at the show discussing it all after the film. Very fascinating. And getting closer to public release. :dude:

Pat Boyack

I saw it in October, with Denny Tedesco at the show discussing it all after the film. Very fascinating. And getting closer to public release. :dude:

You should hear Carol Kaye's response to this film. She is not a fan.

Triburst

These posts by Docc should be required reading for any MBA degrees -- great insight on how the consumer is usually ahead of corporate marketing.:applaude

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
You should hear Carol Kaye's response to this film. She is not a fan.

I would like to, as I felt she was well represented in the film.

And, I found out my drummer played gigs and recording sessions with her years ago [in Denver I believe].

jubelo

That is really great, I will get to see that documentary film fairly soon then.

Redhod

....The hip Bass for our area was Ampeg SVT I think..although the tubes originally used were a bit problematic. a monster when they worked..

I remember seeing the Stones at Madison Square Garden in the fall of '69. They had this lineup of Ampeg SVTs going across the stage. They very well might have had so many amps in case one amp blew they could just move the plug to another.

Uncle Gary

I remember seeing the Stones at Madison Square Garden in the fall of '69. They had this lineup of Ampeg SVTs going across the stage. They very well might have had so many amps in case one amp blew they could just move the plug to another.

I've always said that was the rational for having 5-6 diesel locomotives on the front of a train. Back in the day, a single steam engine hauled a train it now takes 6 diesels to move. Actually, it only requires three. The other three are extras for when the first three break down.:spabout

Redhod

I've always said that was the rational for having 5-6 diesel locomotives on the front of a train. Back in the day, a single steam engine hauled a train it now takes 6 diesels to move. Actually, it only requires three. The other three are extras for when the first three break down.:spabout

Aw, you're not going to get into the whole diesel-powered amps versus steam-powered, are you? I tell ya, I swear by steam-powered amps. Tone for days.

Gets a little wet on stage, though...

MS 57

And, I found out my drummer played gigs and ......

Hey Tom, be careful how you describe the guys you are playing with :
Mick Jagger once ( and one time only ) called Charlie Watts " my drummer " - Charlie immediately punched him in the nose :dude:
I guess he would have preferred " The drummer in the band I play in " :peace2