• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

74 Black Beauty

maxwedge

I've been gassing for a LP Custom for some time and thinking of getting this one locally from CL. It's had a few part changes but I think the price is okay. The add says "knobs and tunners changed. All gold parts chromed but pu's and pots original. No refin or breaks, 2nd owner". It clearly is a "player's" which is fine with me.
Serial # is 120580 and Pot code is 1377412

Like I said the price seems okay, wadda think?
I'd be getting rid of all the chrome if I get it.

Edit: whoops, I didn't put the price up. He wants $2150

Last edited:

Kris Ford

I'd hit it..the changed parts just give you some bargaining leverage..and also, I was born in '74, and this is on my GAS list..I like chrome myself on a Custom.
Good luck!:yah

maxwedge

Thanks. I'm going to offer 2k and I replied to the add this morning but haven't heard back yet. The ad has been up for several weeks.
The bummer is that I won't have that in cash today, unless the wife has it stashed in the mattress!

The Schallers are a bummer. Does anyone know if the head stock need to be enlarged when going from waffle back tunners?

Last edited:

Mitchell

I luv those early Custom's like that!

Yeah, bummer about the tuners and probably drilled out too.
Like previously mentioned, make sure everything else is right, especially the pickups and take a peek inside the control cavity.
Inspect the head stock good too and I like to look under the truss rod cover.
Good Luck!

maxwedge

He called me and I'm going to see it a 3pm Pacific time. Says that he has had it for 30 years and all of the electronics are original including the pickups. Says it was his main guitar and that he had a regular gig 6 days a week as a rhythm player so the frets are still nice.

Good Luck ---
Does anyone know if some of the '72-'74 Customs originally came with speed knobs from the factory?-
My '72 has speed knobs as well. Luv the necks on Customs from that era- a
bit heavy but rips TONE.

maxwedge

I got it for 2k flat. More info to come later...I've got to go cook but I played for a bit and it sounds very nice even though the strings are dead as a door knob and it's filthy. The fret board is caked with dirt but the frets aren't too bad.

Pics to come but I removed the strings and lifted the pickups out and they are patent stickers. I have to unsolder the covers to see the "T" I guess. In the control cavity it looks all original but I'm not sure on the caps. Their small 50v yellow CD caps.

The bad is that this guy must have been wearing a belt and something around his right wrist like a watch. He really chewed it up in these areas. :dang

Tomorrow I'll clean it up and put new strings on it. :)
PS, the neck really has a nice shape and plays like butter!

shred

Congrats... 70's customs rock... You scored :dude:

Progrocker111

Congrats to 74 Custom, 70-74 Customs are my favourites. Pickups and electronic are original, caps too. :)

maxwedge

Congrats to 74 Custom, 70-74 Customs are my favourites. Pickups and electronic are original, caps too. :)
Thanks! Good to know that the caps are original because I didn't know but I knew they were 70's. I told the guy that I thought that they had been replaced and that made it easy to drop the $ down a little, lol.

landminelenny

Les Paul Froum Member
Great score. Does it have the large volute? Hard to see in the pics you posted? I just scored a killer 71 Custom that has quickly become a fave.

Last edited:

maxwedge

Wow, major checking on that baby!:jim Nice!
This one I got has minimal checking but major abuse marking, lol.
I'm not an expert on these so I'm not sure on the volute but it looks larger that what is on yours but it's not bad at all and doesn't get in the way of my hand. I'll post a picture of it later.