• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Joe teaches an important lesson!

J.D.

There ya go. Nothing like a good video by a pro to clearly illustrate it.

Along those lines, I never agreed that a 1-pickup Jr. was a "one trick pony". :jim

goldtop0

Thanks Tom and thanks Joe........yep that's the good oil right there:2cool
Personally I hate pedals.........what did rock 'n' roll start out with........no pedals for sure.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Thanks Tom and thanks Joe........yep that's the good oil right there:2cool
Personally I hate pedals.........what did rock 'n' roll start out with........no pedals for sure.

Pedals have their place, and can really sound great.
I normally play without them. :salude

Billy Porter

This month's Guitarist magazine features an article with JB and a video tutorial (Download).

I rarely buy Guitarist as I think it’s a bit pricey but this month’s is excellent value

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks much to Joe for "beautifully illustrating my point", which has always been, "the guitar has knobs for a reason, use 'em"... :peace2

brandtkronholm

I've only ever owned a wah pedal - that's it; I do the rest with the right hand, volume & tone knobs.

(Well, there's some left hand involved too, but you get the point!)

Billy Porter

I've only ever owned a wah pedal - that's it; I do the rest with the right hand, volume & tone knobs.

(Well, there's some left hand involved too, but you get the point!)

+1 though I also have a tuner as I find it hard to tune with the other noise going on.

Changing my LP to 500k pots and 50s wiring sure helped getting more use out of the tone controls. I much prefer rolling off the volume a bit nowadays :)

Texas Blues

Great video!

This is exactly why we need a JBLPlayer on this forum.

I know I have been guilty in the past of just diming both the guitar and amp and lettin' it rip and most times it sounds great.

And then the next day it sounds like shit.

How many thousand's of times has that happened to a poster and the first reaction is to get another pedal or change the pup's.

But dammit, if I only had Grover's.

The situation as related above is what guitar players do.

What Joe does in the video is show us what a musician does.

joemags54

Thanks TW, (and of course JB) for the tutorial. It helps to reinforce good technique......... (There's probably a good reason why this fellow played the Royal Albert Hall, and all over the globe, my guess).

chuckNC

Thanks for putting that up, Tom. Joe does indeed know how to operate a Les Paul. I thought the chords played on the neck pickup sounded lovely. Guys who set their amp up to sound good with the bridge pickup controls dimed won't find that sound.

Joe, you're a jewel. Glad to see you still contributing here!

Xpensive Wino

Changing my LP to 500k pots and 50s wiring sure helped getting more use out of the tone controls.

Decent pots with a taper that works + the right caps all help...

wiring50s.jpg

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I suggest every Les Paul lover [and guitar lovers in general] put that site into their favorites. David Plues owns the site and is a recent member here. He is dedicated to making it a great place and an archive.
It is the best thing since Burst Serial, and is growing! :dude:

http://www.burst-videobase.com/

Also, save a link to the video itself, as at some point the website will feature a different video on the home page.