• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson 56' RI with bigsby, Mostly Bigsby advice needed?

joeperry

Hi Guys and girls,
need some advice here.
My main guitar is a 54' RI oxblood which I love more than everything ,but I've come to conclussion that I need another guitar for home recordings and backup on live sets. can't find another oxblood within my budget (that would be the dream of my life) but I've found a 56'RI with bigsby and Jason lollar PU's. The neck has been professionaly shaved to match the thinner 60's style, (I prefer the 50's style) but adapt very quickly so I'm shure shifting between guitars wouldn't be a problem.

Well, the guitar I'm looking at, is equipped with a Bigsby, I havent tried that before so would like to know the pros and cons of these bigsby equipped Lp's?
I'll ecspect it to weigh more, but does is tilt back?
(Once had a Firebird 1 and hated that is was neckheavy and didn't "stay in place", seemed like a struggle to play and half the energy was focused on holding the neck up when playing live. Is this the same with bigsby Lp's just the other way....Or?

Any info on the Jason lollar PU's would also be appreciated as I don't know them at all.
The guitar is priced at 2253,61$ wich for me is more than a months workin pay so can't afford to just go buy another one if I take the plunge. Also I have in mind that the neck is shaved so it might be hard to sell Again if I'm not comfortable with it. I'ts outside my area so if I buy it wil be Cash first, delivery 2 days after.

Sorry my bad English:0( Hope some of you understood the questions and can enlightend me?

Best regards
TPJ
(Denmark)

Big Al

I have Bigsbys on about half of my Les Pauls. If your nut slots are cut properly and your bridge saddles as well as a well set up Bigsby you should enjoy it.

I have not encountered any issues with mine. Do not try and use it as a Floyd Rose, it functions best for gentle shimmy on chords,(I cannot help but do a little Bigsby Dip when I hang on a minor chord, especially Em), and cool warbles. I do use my P90 Goldtop with a B70 Bigsby for Hendrix/SRV/Trower stuff.

Weight isn't an issue.

Jason makes some mighty fine P90's. The neck shave might bother me more than anything else you describe. The only way to tell if you really like it is to spend some time with it. I suggest hitting a nice open Em chord and see if you just have to DO THE DIP!

shred

+1

Here's mine... The Bigsby is surprisingly functional, adds no significant weight and doesn't affect your right hand position whatsoever... I wasn't looking for a Bigsby LP, but I loved this top and after playing it, I realized there was no difference in playability between a Bigsby and non Bigsby LP other than the aesthetic...

DSCF1819.jpg

Texas Blues

I hate Bigsby's.

And Lollar pup's

Trust me I know.

I have both on this guitar, a '78 LP Pro with a super thin 60's neck.

I fact I loathe Bigsby's and Lollar p90's so much I slapped 'em on my V's too.

You will learn to hate 'em too.

Why?

Because you're gonna' want more Les Paul's with a Bigsby and Lollar p90's!

I still think Gibson p90's are the gold standard to be met but Jason Lollar makes pup's

that sound goodern' hell!

latestarter

Lollar P90's are fantastic. I have one in my SG Jnr and it brings a smile to my face every time I hear it.

Big Al

+1

Here's mine... The Bigsby is surprisingly functional, adds no significant weight and doesn't affect your right hand position whatsoever... I wasn't looking for a Bigsby LP, but I loved this top and after playing it, I realized there was no difference in playability between a Bigsby and non Bigsby LP other than the aesthetic...

DSCF1819.jpg

Shred, it kills me when you post pics of that guitar. Good lawdy miss Maudey have some mercy puleeese!

Oh my that is just so inviting.

shred

Thanks much Big Al. I must admit I'm quite fond of it myself --even with the dreaded Bigsby :hippy

Dothedew

My R7 Black Beauty and first Epiphone both have B7 Bigsbys on them. It took a little time to get used to navigating to the neck pu volume control coming from guitars without Bigsbys as the Bigsby Arm/pivot is positioned next to the control. I haven't noticed any balance issues and the Bigsby's added a negligible amount of weight to a LP.

Like Big Al said, as long as the nut and saddles are set up properly you shouldn't have any major issues.

If you do have tuning instability/pinging at the nut/string hangups the most drastic measure would be to install a new nut/saddles made from a different material like Tusq etc. Even then, those changes would be easily reversible if the outcome is not desireable.

Texas Blues

All of my Bigsby equipped guitars as shown above stay in tune as well as they did sans

Bigsby before as they were well setup.

My '07 R4 GT which I have a very special love for and is my favorite Gibson, hasn't been

played much since adding the Bigsby to those guitars.

Did I mention they stay in tune?

And of course there is the cool factor.

Bigsby equipped guitars just look coolern' hell to me no matter if they're a Gretsch,

a Tele, a Gibson, or other some such.

And properly setup they stay in tune.

Have I mentioned that?

And you don't grope them like a teenager on prom night.

A Bigsby ain't a cheap $100 dollah' Vegas hooker.

A Bigsby is that hot long haired red head divorcee that needs some special attention.

Pet her gently and treat her right and she'll moan like a she wolf in heat at midnight.

Cons?

Only one.

A pain in the ass to restring.

Get a Vibramate Spoiler to go with the Bigsby and restringing is easy as pie.

A good Les Paul is like a seeing a suitcase full of cash.

A Les Paul with a Bigsby is like seeing a suitcase full of cash and that hot redhead showing

up on your doorstep with a big bag of blow and a bottle of tequila.

Trust.

Texas Blues

One more 'thang.

I was always worried about the Bigsby gettin' in the way of the volume and tone controls.

No problemo.

I manned that sheeit up.

Before Bigsby I'd do a two finger grab on whatever knob on the fly.

Now I simply give it the ole' penitentiary reach around but use my pinky and roll it.

Its just so simpo'!

Dothedew

One more 'thang.

Before Bigsby I'd do a two finger grab on whatever knob on the fly.

Now I simply give it the ole' penitentiary reach around but use my pinky and roll it.

Its just so simpo'!

What a description :ha

scooterj13

Mostly Bigsby advice needed?

I am in the process of building a Bo Diddly guitar and would like to use the Bigsby b7 instead of the b5, The b7 has the look that i want on this guitar, my questions is has anyone used this model on a flat top guitar as apposed to an arch top? thank you