• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Thoughts On The 1960 Historic Double Cut Special??

Boogie Bill

Got my eye on one of these. Been wanting something with P-90s ever since I had to sell my 1975 Les Paul '55 Special Reissue. I love the shape of the body of the Double Cuts, but the single cut is probably more stable and sounds better.

Any advice?

Bill

jb_abides

One of my faves. No ABR, old school rockin' vibe. The "slab" but with access, a cool look, and as a "Special" 2 x P90s with a more 60s neck. Not so slim taper as a USA or VOS SG; more like an R0 but a bit more beef on mine, almost close to a Real Feel. Maybe I just got lucky.

I don't know about not sounding better than a single cut.... but perhaps you have a point regarding stability if you mean neck joint and lack of mass. I mean, I have both and think they are not fragile in any sense. Then again, I don't abuse them or let them fall from stands. But headstock is where they are all prone. I was never unduly worried about single versus double cut stability of a Reissue/VOS.

Sorry if this doesn't help you in your quest...

:salude

Last edited:

moonweasel

I found my brother a used Historic Double Cut Special for $1100 bucks on Craigslist. Best deal almost ever on an historic, it is KILLER. I have an R4 so it is interesting to compare them. The R4 is fuller sounding, but the Special is every bit as good, just a little thinner. His is a feather weight too. Cherry Red color.

Pip

This combo covers my P90 needs.
IMG_1460.jpg