• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Just sent another Historic off to Kim at Historic Makeovers®

BlueSkyBurst

I sent my first Lester for a "Real Deal Series" to Kim in March. When I received my Historic back, I was completely blown away with the transformation; specifically its stunning looks with a perfectly sculpted top carve, dark Brazilian board with “Mazzucchelli” cellulose nitrate inlays, along with just the right amount of checking/distressing.
Most importantly, the “old School” craftsmanship made my Les Paul play, feel and sound better than ever. My Les Paul now feels vintage, broken in and has the “Burst-like” vibe I’ve been chasing since I was 16 years old.
I was so amazed with the overall difference, I sent 4 more Historics.

i-4wBvC6z-XL.jpg

i-MmQ8DDq-XL.jpg

i-4DV7W7R-XL.jpg

i-Gr2DKXP-XL.jpg

i-F7jQb6c-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Stoj

Nice - I can't wait to see your other LP's post makeover :salude

duaneflowers

Wouldn't it be awesome if they actually shipped that way from the factory?

Well, maybe not for Kim...

But for the rest of us... for the exorbitant prices Gibson charges nowadays (not an accusation, just an observation) shouldn't some attention to things like top carve, wiring, inlays, aged parts for the aged guitars, and guaranteed quality control be part of the package?

I'm wondering how much more it would actually cost them to produce a "quality line" and iffn't (is that still a word) that might not be an alternative to anniversary inlays, robo-tuners and holograms. I'm thinking that is probably the direction reissues are heading in, i.e., kaizen at its finest! :salude

TM1

Nice! Kim has done Six of my guitars! I could not be more pleased with the results out of each of them. I get alot of nice comments on their tone and the way they look from the people who come see our shows.

KOTR

Looks great Blue Sky! I used to own 9-6008 pre-makeover. It was a great guitar then and I'm sure its even better now. I love the color you chose for it. Very cool.

BlueSkyBurst

Looks great Blue Sky! I used to own 9-6008 pre-makeover. It was a great guitar then and I'm sure its even better now. I love the color you chose for it. Very cool.

Thanks KOTR, it's a great guitar and love the top you chose; lucky me!
I love the flames with the unBurst color Kim perfected....

rbig80

Looks great!:salude Look forward to seeing the rest. I've made up my mind to send my r8 to HM.

BlueSkyBurst

Nice! Kim has done Six of my guitars! I could not be more pleased with the results out of each of them. I get a lot of nice comments on their tone and the way they look from the people who come see our shows.

TM1 - I've seen your recent post on what I believe is your latest HM from Kim. It was a real stunner and love the color and mineral streaks...I'm planning on having one done up slightly lighter, more of a classic Cherry Burst. The tone and overall feel of my HM is amazing, a huge difference from when it was stock...Couldn't be happier with it.

BlueSkyBurst

Just received this update from Kim and he shared this video with me. He told me he's been working on putting this new state of the art paint booth in place for a few years.
Looks quite pro!

Code:
<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/r-dNLCYGiW0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
Historic Makeovers® Paint Booth

Last edited:

Pip

Wow that is just lovely - what a beauty, looking forward to seeing the rest of your makeovers.

An interesting point is being made about makeovers, in that they appear in many respects to out gun gibsons best efforts. We pay thousands of pounds but carve, aged parts etc are just not as good as a makeover - why?

I looked at my Fender relics (sorry) and the parts, pickup covers, screws etc are way better looking. Whilst I applude all the Gibson improvements, with yearly price hikes they really need to start getting the finer detail more correct.

TM1

Yeah, Kim texted that to me yesterday! Very nice booth!! It's funny as I've seen the paint booths at Framus and Hofner, both in Germany, and they're fairly simple/crude by comparison to this one!

kthesheep

i like kim's work.

i LOVE dave johnson's work.

WTF! Can't you find somewhere else to TROLL?:troll
Please stop saying you know me from Albany. Because you didn't!
Your comments are sad.