• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

my beat up les paul junior is the best Gibson ive EVER played

GeraintGuitar

A student left his junior after for me to restring about 4 years ago and...well he never got it back. The same night he left it i restrung it , plugged it in and played all night , i'd never had so much pleasure and fun playing guitar , the thing growled out of marshall speaker like nothing ive heard , the guitar so expresive , responsive and yet simple i HAD to have it , after much persuading he sold it to me ,ive played every day since but sopped gigging because it was getting TOO beat up. who else is loving thier JR ?

renderit

Yes.

36302724992_2592980e54_h.jpg

35662964713_4dd18012cd_h.jpg

GotTheSilver

I played a really beat up Jr (a '59, I think) at the Arlington guitar show a few years ago. It was unbelievable! The thing just roared! I was not planning on spending that much money on that trip, so I hesitated. I went back a couple of hours later determined to go ahead and buy it. Alas, it was gone!

I still need a Jr, one chock full of rip roaring P-90 goodness!!!

AlvisX

JUNIORS,My favorites Les Pauls . I never subscribed to the cult of the sunburst ......they're as boring to me as a stratocaster. But I did subscribe to the cult of the Junior . I would like to say it was Leslie West who brought me in . I loved Mountain as a kid ,but had no clue about his guitar
But it was actually when me and some schoolmates found some flawed AEROSMITH posters in a dumpster around '77. That guitar Brad Whitford was playing looked so cool. It was a pic from their Midnight Special performance circa '74

I was about 14. My guitar education was just gettin started . I soon learned it was a Les Paul Junior ...Mountain ,Mott, Bad Co and that double cut thing that Lonesome Dave n Keef played

My 1st Junior was a DC stripped humbuggered 59. I was able to plant a p-90 back in there with no real cosmetic evidence . Unfortunately , I went thru a long "unplugged" phase from about '86 to '96....and let it go .

Man, it was kind of a bear to get that $tuff back ......but worth it

Progrocker111

A student left his junior after for me to restring about 4 years ago and...well he never got it back. The same night he left it i restrung it , plugged it in and played all night , i'd never had so much pleasure and fun playing guitar , the thing growled out of marshall speaker like nothing ive heard , the guitar so expresive , responsive and yet simple i HAD to have it , after much persuading he sold it to me ,ive played every day since but sopped gigging because it was getting TOO beat up. who else is loving thier JR ?

We need :photos

GeraintGuitar

JUNIORS,My favorites Les Pauls . I never subscribed to the cult of the sunburst ......they're as boring to me as a stratocaster. But I did subscribe to the cult of the Junior . I would like to say it was Leslie West who brought me in . I loved Mountain as a kid ,but had no clue about his guitar
But it was actually when me and some schoolmates found some flawed AEROSMITH posters in a dumpster around '77. That guitar Brad Whitford was playing looked so cool. It was a pic from their Midnight Special performance circa '74

I was about 14. My guitar education was just gettin started . I soon learned it was a Les Paul Junior ...Mountain ,Mott, Bad Co and that double cut thing that Lonesome Dave n Keef played

My 1st Junior was a DC stripped humbuggered 59. I was able to plant a p-90 back in there with no real cosmetic evidence . Unfortunately , I went thru a long "unplugged" phase from about '86 to '96....and let it go .

Man, it was kind of a bear to get that $tuff back ......but worth it
After getting rid of so many guitars and regretting it i vowed that this junior i own will never leave my side haha it will have to be pried from my dead cold hands haha :) peace man

GeraintGuitar

I played a really beat up Jr (a '59, I think) at the Arlington guitar show a few years ago. It was unbelievable! The thing just roared! I was not planning on spending that much money on that trip, so I hesitated. I went back a couple of hours later determined to go ahead and buy it. Alas, it was gone!

I still need a Jr, one chock full of rip roaring P-90 goodness!!!
i feel your pain , finding a REALLY good one can be hard but don't discount the newer or reissue ones some of 2009 ones are killer for example

crashbelt

My 55 LPJ is the most musically brutal sounding vintage guitar I have by a country mile. Played straight into 50s tweed Gibson amps, no pedals, it makes a fearsome sound at the natural clipping points.

I love my DC 59 and 60 Specials and 63 LPJ (SG) but they don't do what the 55 LPJ does.

As for humbuckers, they belong on vintage 3**s not Les Paul's imho!!!!!!:laugh2:

GeraintGuitar

My 55 LPJ is the most musically brutal sounding vintage guitar I have by a country mile. Played straight into 50s tweed Gibson amps, no pedals, it makes a fearsome sound at the natural clipping points.

I love my DC 59 and 60 Specials and 63 LPJ (SG) but they don't do what the 55 LPJ does.

As for humbuckers, they belong on vintage 3**s not Les Paul's imho!!!!!!:laugh2:

yeah a good JR is very aggressive , not for the faint hearted ! i allways feel the single cuts sound MUCH fatter than the DCs or SGs
and im begining to feel the same way too about humbuckers:hmm

GeraintGuitar

also i hear what your saying about plugging straight into a valve combo with no pedals, its an gibson electric guitar in its most raw and pure form

thin sissy

I hear you man! I've had such a love affair with my 57 Jr these last months (I got it refretted) I don't feel like playing anything else at all. It's almost annoying how good that guitar is.

BTW, still saving up for an old Goldtop though :laugh2:

tuica

Thanks for the great info, and photos. Since 1971 have owned a Tele, SG, Strat, LP Studio, and currently a pretty nice Three Burst Strat. But in my heart, will always prefer a Gibby. LP Junior, Special, or DC next. Think the LP DC, or SG, may be the best looking guitar design in history. And looks make a difference.