• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Installed a Bigsby on my Les Paul (with Vibramate)

2manyGuitars

I've always loved the look of a nice Les Paul with a Bigsby. There's just something so classy about it. Plus, I actually like the subtle vibrato you get from a Bigsby or Maestro. The problem is, I could never bear the thought of drilling holes into the top of any of my guitars.

A while ago, I'd seen a product called the Vibramate that allowed you to mount a Bigsby with no modifications. It's essentially an aluminum plate that mounts to the existing holes from your tailpiece. Then there are threaded holes that line up with the screws on the Bigsby. The problem was that the only model they offered was for the Bigsby B5 (the horseshoe shaped version). There are fine for SGs, Explorers, LP Juniors, Flying Vs, etc., but no good for a Les Paul. Well, I was recently delighted to find out that they had finally come up with a version for the B7. I tracked down a used B7 about two weeks ago, ordered the Vibramate V7, and as soon as it showed up in the mail today I couldn't wait to get to work...

Here's my 2001 Les Paul Classic Plus before...
v7_01.jpg

The Vibramate V7...
v7_04.jpg

v7_03.jpg

You start by removing the strings and tailpiece. Here's what the underside of the unit looks like...
v7_05.jpg

and here it is mounted to the tailpiece holes (they included both standard (Gibson) and metric (Epi, ESP, etc.) bolts)...
v7_06.jpg

Here's the other plate that attaches at the bottom...
v7_08.jpg

and a helpful hint. Attach it to the Bigsby first, then mount it to the guitar with your strap pin. The small opening in the hinged portion of the Bigsby won't slip over most strap pins. Here it is installed...
v7_16.jpg

Then you simply install the two small screws and you're done...
v7_11.jpg

2manyGuitars

All that's left to do is string it up and enjoy...
v7_13.jpg

v7_14.jpg

v7_12.jpg

As you can see, the Vibramate is pretty inconspicuous from a few feet away. Even up close, it doesn't exactly stand out...
v7_18.jpg

v7_15.jpg

v7_17.jpg

The installation took less time than it did to restring the guitar afterwards. Another added bonus is that with about 20 minutes work, I can swap it to any number of other guitars I own and the guitars remain completely stock.

zombiwoof

Looks good. I used the Vibramate to put a Bigsby on my SG Classic, and it worked out fine. The only things I didn't like about it the brushed aluminum finish on the Vibramate doesn't match the Bigsby (why the Hell don't they finish them with nickel plating to match the Bigsby better?), and the screws are cheap (also not nickel plated), and you have to be real careful to avoid stripping the tops of them. Also, the mounting screws that show are flat top, not slightly rounded like the stock Bigsby screws, that and the lack of nickel plating makes them stand out a bit.

Other than that, the Vibramate is a good product. It could be better if they supplied better screws, and nickel plated everything.

Al

Drew68

Sweet! It's a wonder that those haven't been around for years. It's not like it's rocket science.

I think Les Pauls with Bigsbys just look cool. I've never played one but I'd consider putting it on my Classic for cosmetic reasons alone. I do have a question though. Do the wound strings snag on the saddles?

2manyGuitars

I have a couple of Gibsons with Maestros and I imagine it'll be the same with the Bigdby. I personally don't bend the pitch enough for the strings to slide over the saddles. It's more a matter of altering the string tension just enough to give it a little bit of a "shimmer".

Now, having said that, I usually use graphite saddles on my guitars with vibratos.

jsegovia

Wow, VERY nice! That's a handsome Classic. Do they make a gold Vibramate? I'd seriously consider putting a Bigsby on my Custom.

Jesse

Billy Porter

Looks great :)

A few questions:

1 – does the Bigsby not get in the way when adjusting the volume or tone ?
2 - does it affect the tone ?
3 – how do you get the guitar into the case ?

PS – I’m not going to do it – just curious :hmm

2manyGuitars

1 – does the Bigsby not get in the way when adjusting the volume or tone ?
I imagine if you're trying to adjust with your pinky literally while playing, it might make it difficult. If you're tweaking in between strums or between songs, it's pretty much business as usual.

2 - does it affect the tone ?
Don't know yet. I'll have it at rehearsal tomorrow, so I guess I'll find out. My guess is that it shouldn't be that noticeable.

3 – how do you get the guitar into the case ?

No problem at all. You swing the arm towards the bottom and it naturally angles down. The rest of the unit really doesn't stick up that much higher than the bridge. There's more than enough clearance.
BUT, I've heard the reissues with the Lifton cases do not fit.

v7_19.jpg

zombiwoof

Not only do they come in gold, but left handed as well.
http://www.vibramate.com/

BTW, here's the guy I bought mine from...
http://stores.ebay.com/HDCustom-Guitar-Supply

He's about 20 to 25% cheaper than buying direct from Vibramate, and he also sells the Bigsbys about 30% cheaper than allparts.

As far as weight, it was 9 lbs on the nose before. I'll have to see what it weighs in at now.

The cheaper prices are from Allparts dealers, as they distribute the Vibramates now. When they first came out, you couldn't get them less than list, because the only source was the Vibramate company, and everyone was selling them at list price. If you buy anything directly from Allparts, you also pay list price. If you buy from an Allparts dealer, they will generally discount their parts anywhere from 15-30%. I waited a while to buy my B5 Vibramate until they were available at a discount, and got it for less.

Al

zombiwoof

The screws that hold the Bigsby to the Vibramate look fugly to me.

All of the screws are "fugly" to me. All of the screws have a plain steel look next to the nickel finish on the Bigsby. So does the Vibramate plate itself, it just looks cheap next to the Bigsby's finish. It's ridiculous. And the tops of them strip out easily. Big flaw in a good design. They put a finish on the gold ones, why not on the regular one? I have thought about emailing the company with my feelings, but don't know if I'd just be pissin' in the wind.

It worked well for me, but the finish needs improvement.

Al

modoc_333

my 2 questions:

1. it seems there is a lot of stress on the back strap button now. wasn't there a reason they always had 4 screws back there? is there a chance of trouble (wallowing out the hole for the strap button)
2. that plate looks sort of thick when you're talking about the finer adjustments in setups and such. it gives a more shallow angle over the bridge due to the tension bar be elevated vs on a normal install. any ideas how that may play into things?

i also have to agree that they could have made it look better. the screws should have been a no-brainer, and the plate itself could have looked better since it pokes out from under the bigsby.

all of this is a critique of the product though. your guitar looks great and i'm glad you dig it. i don't mean to take away from that! :) i REALLY love your top!

Wookie

All Access/Backstage Pass
Welcome to the Virbamate/Bigsby club.

Took me all of about 5 minutes to adjust to any knob tweaks. Added some weight to a fairly light Les Paul, but that's cool with me. The added shimmering vibrato and retro-cool-chic looks were worth it. And it fits just fine inside the standard case.

swervin55

Prices for the B7 seem to be all over the map. Am I correct to assume that:
a) there are USA made B7's that cost a premium over the "licensed" B7 (which I presume are made offshore)?
b) all USA B7's are nickel plated aluminum (despite several dealers calling them "chrome")?
c) once removed, there are no (and I mean NO) lasting impressions left from the Vibramate dogbone bar?
d) a Schaler strap lock will still work on the bottom end (the straplock button will still protude far enough past the B7 mounting plate)?

I know, a lot of questions, but....

Swervin