• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Jeff Lynne Les Paul

Per Granlöf

My favourite group in my early teens - ELO with Jeff Lynne playing his P90 GT.
Any info about this guitar? Might be a -72 according to sources on the internet.
This is probably playback but the video shows the guitar.
This is just one of many wonderful songs by Mr Lynne and friends.
Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76n73u_evHo

montesada

Thanks for that, ELO is one of my all time favorites. I love that polished studio sound like Alan Parsons etc. as opposed to the raw "Rolling Stones" sound.
Jeff's guitar tones on "Ma Ma Bell", "Rockaria" and some other songs are some of the best ever. I think it's that same P90 guitar. Brilliant!

George

All Access/Backstage Pass
Indeed. I saw ELO on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert doing Ma Ma Ma Belle probably 35 year ago, and that rude nasty P90 tone is still one of the most memorable Les Paul moments in my life. :salude
Might just be me, but that looks like an original LP top carve.

CocoTone

Les Paul Froum Member
Thanks for that. I forgot what a great studio wizard Jeff was. Page couldn't carry his guitar case!!:hee

CT.

ch willie

A terribly underrated songwriter, singer, guitarist, arranger, and producer.

And he's a snazzy dresser as well...

jefflynne-1.jpg

C-4

Jeff Lynne and ELO have always been one of my very favorite bands.
I like Jeff no matter what type of music he does.
His LP is a '72 model, but he has a great old fiesta red strat and some other fine guitars as well.
Superb taste and production! :peace2 :jim

keef

A terribly underrated songwriter, singer, guitarist, arranger, and producer.

And he's a snazzy dresser as well...

Terribly underrated? He sold millions of records and had a string of hits with ELO, won a Grammy, wrote songs with Dylan, Petty, Harrison, he worked as a producer with many greats, including the BEATLES (or the Threetles)....do underrated people get to do that? :salude

ch willie

Terribly underrated? He sold millions of records and had a string of hits with ELO, won a Grammy, wrote songs with Dylan, Petty, Harrison, he worked as a producer with many greats, including the BEATLES (or the Threetles)....do underrated people get to do that? :salude

I agree with you. He has done all those great things, and I don't mean to say nobody recognizes it. But check out guitar magazines: near zero press. He's never on the top guitarist lists of music journals. Even on this forum, he rarely gets discussed. He may not be "terribly underrated"--maybe "undermentioned" is a better word.

pit_s_xroad

Hi there...

you know what... :wow because of your post I ordered the CD "Out Of The Blue" online this very moment... I completely had forgotten how good this was and I instantly fell in love again with it when I listened to the clips on the shop's homepage... :peace2

Thanks for reminding... :applaude

PIT... :salude

Red Baron

I might just order it myself, I haven't owned an ELO album since the days of vinyl. :)

I saw them perform at a large outdoor stadium in the late 70's and it was one of the most memorable concerts I've seen. The venue was surrounded with large trees to which they attached mirrors to reflect the laser beams. Thoughout the show there was an absolutely spectacular array of coloured lasers shooting everywhere. :)

L

LPDEN

I always liked Jeff's music... ELO, Travelling Wilbury's, Tribute concerts... all good stuff.

Schtang

Jeff is fantastic with the Travelling Wilburys - You know when ELO tour Australia in the last 70's I think (not old enough myself) a friend of my parents saw them and apparently (and this was reported in a Sydney paper at the time) all the concert was pre-recorded - not to take anything away from Jeff Lynne's talent.

ch willie

Yes, I remember some controversy about the use of prerecorded material on the Out of the Blue tour.

Lenny

When you are/were buddy with George, Paul, Zim, Big O, etc and make records in your Beverly Hills mansion, you don't really worry about ratings.
I hope you have all seen the fabulous documentary Mr. Blue Sky.