• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

How many of you use flat wounds on yer Les Pauls?

karl1

I just put flat wounds on my 88 Custom and love it! Am I nuts? I use them on my Es 165, 335- Midtown Kalamazoo and Es 125. I never seem to read about the use of them on a Paul. Tell me what you think or have found. I play mostly a so called Jazz style of late.....

RNELEE

I occasionally use them on my LP Special. Besides the strings lasting a long time, I like them for slide, less noise.

lonesomesheik

I turned to flats on my 335, and I intend to do so on my R4 as well. On his Newport Strat , Dylan was using flats as welll...:hmm:hmm:hmm:hmm

Big Al

They are great for getting that smooth warm Jazz tone. Sliding licks instead of bendy ones.

Stevedenver

I use 13 TI flats, on my LP recording guitar pretty consistently
sometimes on my LP Artist too.

both have highs to spare, so I can dial up or back

have also been playing around with some tape wound 12s, sort of a hybrid between round and flats soundwise-and very soft tenstion-wise

lonesomesheik

I've just put Pyramid's 11/48 (flats) on my R4, and Ho god, you can get the whole Chuck Berry repertoire at the tips of your fingers ( Maybe not Van Halen, I confess), Champ or Mesa don''t matter much!!!! Not to speak of the historic Chess Sound, and many more who came after, I sure won't get back to round wound (Xcept for my beloved 00028, see avatar :jim):salude

59Cherrytop

Used them on my Fenders in the mid sixties, on my first L-5 in the seventies and on the Barbour ES-5 since the eighties. After setting up some of Ritenour's guitars about eight years ago, I started keeping a Strat set up with his 52-42-32 Chromes and 17, 13, 9 custom gauge mixte set. Last year for fun I put the same hybrid FW set on my Standard and it's fun! No fret noise and cool jazzy tones.

dylumph

I've been thinking about using them on one of my guitars. My band plays ALOT of oldies from the 50s & 60s. Which P/U would Y'all recommend P-90 or humbucker? 335, LP or SG?

dylumph

Our bass player uses them on his Fender P-bass, Rickenbacker 2001 & real 64 Hofner. Man, they sound good!

roadrunner

Always have them on my P-Bass, love 'em on my ES-5, they're great on Fender's... haven't thought to try them on a Les Paul yet. I'll have to do that.

lonesomesheik

I would recommend LP & SG with P90; with a335with humbuckers, it is more jazzy, a 335 AND P90 shoud be quite interesting:hmm:hmm:hmm Anyone tried it???

dylumph

Well, a 330 is kinda like a 335 with P-90s. That might be a great place for flatwounds!

sonar

Never on a LP, but now I'm intrigued...

suggestions for a flatwound brand/gauge set for a Standard w/humbuckers? Currently its set-up for nickel-plated steel .010 - .046?

dylumph

I've got Pyramid flat wounds on my 12 string Ric. They sound like that guy in We Five- "You Were on My Mind". Being my age and my band's material, I think I'll do a semi hollowbody, probably a 330.

I'd still like to try them on a LP. Maybe a 56 ri.

lonesomesheik

I'm sorry to insist, but you should try an LP with P90s (a la R4), I could recommand Lollars, but I'm partial!:jim

lonesomesheik

& yes, of course Pyramids, 11~48 is no brainer with a bridge tail piece combo a la R4, and even the 12~58 is extremely sweet on my Peerless Charlie Christian Special.