• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Joe teaches an important lesson!

I'm a big Fender amp fan..... I tend to prefer clean hifi sounding amps and then use pedals for the overdrive/distortion. It's more versatile for me as a guy who does note for note covers and having to get the tones from a lot of different songs from the recording. Sure beats hauling 4 amps to a gig.

But for me I just prefer the sound of a high headroom 6L6 Blackface/Silverface Twin Reverb, Pro Reverb, or Super Reverb with 6 or so OD pedals to choose from for a live show. For home or recording, I do dig my old 5E3 cranked but generally I tend to prefer preamp distortion and a bright sizzly tone from pedals with clean amps. I was never into the whole LP + Marshall stack thing. And most of my favorite bands did that. I just can't get into it personally.

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
I could have posted that myself. I like Fender amps w/a lot of headroom, & a tube reverb circuit. About 40 to 60W is what I need. And I prefer 10s to 12s.

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
Everybody needs a high headroom 6L6 amp of their choice... For me, it's a Twin... I'm just sayin'... :peace2