• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Slipping away. I am losing the Les Paul feeling. :(

papersoul

Guys,

I have been a Les Paul guy for years but it is slipping away. I recently joined up with a 90s rock and grunge cover band and noticed I was struggling on my LP Standard to solo in the upper registers. I pulled out my PRS CE-22 and it was a breeze. The ergonomics, thinner body, upper fret access.......all help. I also noticed my shoulder and back felt much better without the weight of the LP. So, after back and forth, I can not deny...I am slowly becoming a PRS man. It doesn't feel right because I have been carrying the LP flag for years.......I am starting to raise the PRS flag as I search for a nice PRS DC245, SC245 or used McCarty this spring or summer.
Do I need help or is this OK?

Al Russo

u have been reported to the moderators for immediate termination of your membership...lol....by the way...whatever keeps your back and neck healthy...I"ve already had two lumbar surgeries and one cervical surgery...so i can relate...

Ryan Givhan

a lot of those 90's grunge bands used fenders . . . they can be light too. throw a humbucker in the bridge, use a clean amp with a boss ds-1 and you will be just about there, tone wise.

Troy T. Blues

Blasphemy!!

Just kiddin'. Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do. Whatever works best for you!

MikeSlub

Administrator
The only PRS that inspires me is the DGT. I put 10's on it (my wimpy hands can't handle David's 11's which are spec for the guitar). None of the other PRS guitars I have played come close. But at the end of the day I'm still a Gibby guy. :hank

2012%20PRS%20DGT%20Whole%20Body.jpg

Last edited:

shred

DR Shred says: Play the guitar that inspires you the most and helps you play your best, regardless of what it is. Ultimately what gave all these guitars cache in the first place was the music that got played on them... If you're struggling to play your best on your LP, and you love the your PRS, lucky you! You don't even need a new guitar...

Doesn't Jerry Cantrell play G&L stuff?

BTW Wicked top on your PRS Mike :dude:

davidd

It happened to me also. Over the last few years Telecasters do it for me....

les strat

Soundgarden - LPs & SG's
AIC - G&L w/JB's
Pearl Jam - LP's and strats
Nirvanna - Fenders with buckers mostly
Mudhoney - Fenders and Gibsons
STP - LP's
The Melvins - LP's
Screaming Trees - LP's
Gruntruck - LP's and SG's
Green River - LP's
Skinyard - Fenders
Temple of the Dog - LP's and strats

Creed = not grunge, lol.

I'd say Gibson is highly represented in in the real bunch of original grunge bands. PRS did not become as prevalent until the late 90's, when real grunge was dead and nu-metal (barf) and slacker rock took over.

If you feel more comfy on a PRS, then go for it. They are wonderfully-built guitars, but I have never felt really got it on with one. I'd still hold on to my LP. This too shall pass.

papersoul

a lot of those 90's grunge bands used fenders . . . they can be light too. throw a humbucker in the bridge, use a clean amp with a boss ds-1 and you will be just about there, tone wise.

Unfortunately I can't stand Fenders. Sound great when others play them but I could never bond with Fenders. I have owned 5 strats and played many but always moved on.

Last edited:

papersoul

Soundgarden - LPs & SG's
AIC - G&L w/JB's
Pearl Jam - LP's and strats
Nirvanna - Fenders with buckers mostly
Mudhoney - Fenders and Gibsons
STP - LP's
The Melvins - LP's
Screaming Trees - LP's
Gruntruck - LP's and SG's
Green River - LP's
Skinyard - Fenders
Temple of the Dog - LP's and strats

Creed = not grunge, lol.

I'd say Gibson is highly represented in in the real bunch of original grunge bands. PRS did not become as prevalent until the late 90's, when real grunge was dead and nu-metal (barf) and slacker rock took over.

If you feel more comfy on a PRS, then go for it. They are wonderfully-built guitars, but I have never felt really got it on with one. I'd still hold on to my LP. This too shall pass.

Did I say I was in a grunge band? I said a 90s band! 90s rock, hard rock and grunge. :dude:

I could care less what the 90s guys played! I play what I like to play, period.

I don't like the PRS DGT. I prefer a hardtail because we change tunings between some songs and a trem can be a pest! I also hate the DTG neck! MUCH prefer the older PRS Wide/FAT neck. Don't see the big deal about the DGT.
But right now, my CE-22 in Eb with 11-54 gauge strings is killing my LP Standard. :-(

shred

It's funny because PRS is so out of fashion these days... Beautiful guitars but hard to sell, according to a dealer in my neck of the woods...

Since it's a buyers market for PRS, you could probably find a good, used, 22 fret, fat neck, 10 top w birds, in the colour you want for a good price.. I got a 20th anniversary 10 top w birds for $1400 off CL before Christmas... Great guitar, but I ended up moving it to free up cash for my Historics...

shred

BTW Are you more of a one guitar guy, or do you like to play lots of different gear? I find people come in two main types... The guys looking for one ultimate axe and guys that want variety... I'm definitely in the latter group... I like a lot of different guitars, and go through phases where I'm playing different brands...

Last edited:

les strat

Did I say I was in a grunge band? I said a 90s band! 90s rock, hard rock and grunge. :dude:

I could care less what the 90s guys played! I play what I like to play, period.

I don't like the PRS DGT. I prefer a hardtail because we change tunings between some songs and a trem can be a pest! I also hate the DTG neck! MUCH prefer the older PRS Wide/FAT neck. Don't see the big deal about the DGT.
But right now, my CE-22 in Eb with 11-54 gauge strings is killing my LP Standard. :-(

Sorry, I misread your original post. A PRS will do well with most anything, but you know you will always come home to the LP! :dude: