• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Modern Les Paul wiring in untouched 59?

ChevChelios

Folks,

While browsing some pictures of the burst at Emerald City Guitars I found that the wiring is actually the wiring that the newer Les Pauls were given. Has anyone ever seen that before? It seems to be original ...

1959-Les-Paul-Standard-121.jpg

PaisleyTube

not with my own eyes but (if I do remember correctly) there are some posts on this great forum stating both ways of wiring were used during the 50s so it could be original/factory-spec.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
You might contact Forum member Dr. Vintage [Rick Norman] on this subject.

ChevChelios

Hi Tom,
I don't doubt the originality of this wiring, since it is definitely untouched and the parts are all matching. I was just wondering if this happened regularly and if so, was there any sense for that? E.g. brighter sounding guitar = "modern" wiring, other guitars = "57 wiring"?

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Hi Tom,
I don't doubt the originality of this wiring, since it is definitely untouched and the parts are all matching. I was just wondering if this happened regularly and if so, was there any sense for that? E.g. brighter sounding guitar = "modern" wiring, other guitars = "57 wiring"?

That's why I suggested Dr. Vintage.
I am sure he knows the answers.
So do others.
I was just pointing to an answer. :salude
[I didn't doubt it was original.]

Classic

If the Modern wiring pieces is true that would mean at least two 'big' myths have been busted in the last 6 months or so. First was that only PIO caps were used until '60s and now that Modern wiring was only used from the '60s.

Anyone hazard a guess at the percentage using modern wiring?

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
If the Modern wiring pieces is true that would mean at least two 'big' myths have been busted in the last 6 months or so. First was that only PIO caps were used until '60s and now that Modern wiring was only used from the '60s.Anyone hazard a guess at the percentage using modern wiring?

I'm sure that was pointed out years ago. :hmm