• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Vintage P90 Dog Ear Cover?

Garcia

I'm looking for one to go on a 1965 SG Junior.
Any idea where I can find one and how much I should expect or hope to pay for it?

DANELECTRO

Gibson has been using the same mold to make dogear covers since the 1950's. I've compared the covers from my 1957 Junior to those of my 2006 RI Junior and the inside of the covers have the exact same scribe lines and scratches on the mold surface. Its like a fingerprint. That mold has been in use for over 50 years. You could put a brand new Gibson P90 cover on your '65 SG Jr and although it won't be old, it will be exactly like the original.

sharq attaq

My guess would be that it is. Production materials definately has changed for safety/enviromental reasons.

I bet that's right.

and Garcia, don't take this too negatively...but if that were my guitar, I wouldn't be looking to spend serious $$ for a pickup cover.
I can't tell you exactly why, but I feel different about correct parts for a mid '60s SG than I would about a mid/late '50s Les Paul.
Having said that, if my '65 was needing a new p/u cover, I think I would buy a new one and try to put a little wear on it...just so it wouldn't be like a sore thumb.
On the other hand, if you offered to trade a new one for the one from my '65...would I do it? No. :hee

Anyway, whatever you decide....good luck. Got any pics of your '65?

27sauce

The old covers age differently than the new ones. I tend to tear them up, and the new ones get scratched in a jagged way and the old ones wear ilk they are some sort of fiber like plastic. They feel the same. Just get anew one, IMO
this is an old one.
DSC05377.jpg

sharq attaq

The old covers age differently than the new ones. I tend to tear them up, and the new ones get scratched in a jagged way and the old ones wear ilk they are some sort of fiber like plastic. They feel the same. Just get anew one, IMO
this is an old one.
DSC05377.jpg

Nice! Cool picture too.
Also, I'm glad to see mine ('58) isn't the only one that someone added a strap button onto the horn.
(really, it's where it should've been all along, IMO.)

Your's looks like a new one up next to mine, tho.
Mine's not that pretty, but....you know. Great personality!

:spabout
This one is also old:

P1010044.jpg

And this one is what the OP is looking for...a '65:

6.jpg

Last edited:

27sauce

WOW!!!!!!
Awesome.
Yeah, I played mine with the original strap location and just couldn't get into it.

Garcia

I do have photos of all my guitars and would be happy to post them, well.... I did have photos. I went looking last night for my SG pix to post a few and realized that my iPhoto folder failed to get backed up before my computer received its new hard drive, and the old one got a lobotomy. Fuke. I'm not a happy camper. Lots of great stuff now GONE.

I'll borrow my brothers camera and take some fresh photos to post as soon as I can.
As for the pickuup cover, I think I might as well get a new one and distress it a bit to match.
Thank you for your replies.

27sauce

I do have photos of all my guitars and would be happy to post them, well.... I did have photos. I went looking last night for my SG pix to post a few and realized that my iPhoto folder failed to get backed up before my computer received its new hard drive, and the old one got a lobotomy. Fuke. I'm not a happy camper. Lots of great stuff now GONE.

I'll borrow my brothers camera and take some fresh photos to post as soon as I can.
As for the pickuup cover, I think I might as well get a new one and distress it a bit to match.
Thank you for your replies.

Cool, post it in the Other Gibson section, you will get more feedback...