• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Why so little love for the Florentine?

asg612

Hi All,

Was just wondering why the Semi-Hollow Florentine isnt as loved as other LP models?

Besides the fact I'm a sucker for f-holes, these guitars are really beautiful. Just picked up a 97 with a nice natural finish and quilt top.

Are the differences between the Florentine and Florentine plus just the tops used? Flame and Quilt vs. no flame/quilt?

Why did Gibson stop making these beauties? Are they still available through the Custom Shop?

As a newbie (sort-of), getting back into playing and collecting - Gibson's website is pretty bad at giving information about, well, anything IMO. Can't make heads or tails what's available, what's not etc.

Insight into the Florentine is greatly apprecaited!

Best,

asg

C-4

I love the Florentine LP! But most here are traditionalists.

treeofpain

They are very cool, but they kinda fall in between a LP and typical semi. It's kind of a niche market I guess.

xjustice09x

I always liked florentines. I almost bought one in 2001 or 2002, but ended up getting and SG supreme instead.

donw35

1997 Florentine, one of my Favorite guitars but for the 57 pickups..
2a.JPG

asg612

Thanks for your comments -

I think what I like about the florentine is the fact that its a bit of a hybrid - gives a great clean tone, and overdriven is rather unique, compared with my hollowbody guitars.

Appearance wise, I just think they are beautiful. Not many guitars have captured my heart like the Florentine has.

Regarding pickups - have you swapped the '57's out? If so, what have you replaced them with? Very interested to know!

Also - anyone know if these guitars can still be ordered through the Custom Shop?

Your natural quilt is quite a looker - I have its brother at home. When I can, I'll take some pics - your quilt is more defined and nicer than mine. This place, well, Its easy to get jealous I guess :).

Thanks a bunch!

asg

Hammertone

Don't forget the "stealth" Florentines, which don't have f-holes. The ones I have seen on ebay sold for plenty of love. Mike Slub has a really nice birdseye-topped one featured in his article "Unusual Custom Shop Les Pauls and More!" featured on the LPF home page.

Last edited:

donw35

I have not replaced the 57 although I want to or pot them, I realy like the sound of the burstbuckers in my R9 and want to give those a go in the florentine

Ad_02Std

I'd love one. Never see them here in the U.K. though.

I remember seeing a feature in Guitarist Magazine when Clapton had his big clearout, selling a huge amount of instruments, and one pictured was a sunburst Florentine with P-90s.

sharq attaq

I'm surprised that when Uncle Ted went to Les Pauls, it wasn't one of those. He's lost something without the fire breathing f-holes IMO.

GuitArtMan

I had one for a while - a beautiful '96 (I believe) burst. In my case, the semi-hollow didn't save me any weight - it was within an ounce or so of my 1988 Pre-Historic R9. I also found the combination of the semi-hollow body and/or ebony board made it brighter than my Pre-Historic R9. In the end, I just liked the tone of my R9 better and so let the florentine go. I'll have to see if I still have any photos of it - she was a beaut!

fentonjames

i had the epiphone version, the les paul es for a few years. not a bad guitar. the gibson would be much better!!! i am jealous!!!

trapland

Mine is my #1. It sounds just like a standard. Even more "solid body" sounding than todays chambered guitars. No acoustic properties whatsoever.

asg612

Here are some pics of one of my Florentines. This guitar is insane! I agree with the post above - no hollowbody qualities on this one whatsoever - it is one screaming guitar.

This one is a 2000 CS I believe. My other is a 1996-97 - sounds much much different.

LPFlorentine1.jpg
LPFlorentine2.jpg

Here are some pics of one of my Florentines. This guitar is insane! I agree with the post above - no hollowbody qualities on this one whatsoever - it is one screaming guitar.

This one is a 2000 CS I believe. My other is a 1996-97 - sounds much much different.

LPFlorentine1.jpg
LPFlorentine2.jpg

WOW! I love that one!:salude

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
Ya know... A florentine with Standard appointments might have been a better seller. You know. Rosewood board, small headstock, trap inlays, etc.