• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1971 Les Paul Standard 58 Reissue

FlyingFred67

Hi Folks,
thought I might share the latest addition to my small collection:
One of Gibsons early attempts for a 50s LP Reissue, called "Standard ´58" it was actually a reissue of a 1954 Les Paul. They did everything right on this one: chunky 1-piece neck, 1-piece mahagony-body with thin binding in cutaway, small 50s-style headstock, aluminum lightweight tailpiece. Only a few where made, 25 in 1971 and 1046 in 1972
This one has untouched solder and is all original the pot codes say 1377142 and it has the "goof hider" pu rings. I have seen these with and without the rings. The original plexiglas Bobbin "Gibson" embossed P90´s heave very strong outputs with resistance over 8 Kohms.

qf5ckx4f.jpg

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Nice one Fred. :dude:

They made a few of these with tune-o-matics also. :)

Mark Kane

All Access/Backstage Pass
Those were cool guitars. I bought one new in '72. It was the only guitar in all my years of playing that I sold because it was just too damn heavy. A 10lb. guitar doesn't bother either to this day. God only knows what that thing weighed. It did sound very good though. On another note, I never saw anything under those goof rings that looked worse than the goof rings themselves.

DanD

HNVGD :salude

Looks like greening on the upper bout. Just when did Gibson change the paint on GTs? :hmm

textor101

Hi all. I've got a '72 that I've decided to sell. I'm the original owner. Have original case and hang tags. If interested, contact me. Excellent condition. 6K.

AA00475Bassman

I had a 72 from 1980 - 1994 really liked this guitar . Bought the guitar from Alenov he had several GT 's at the time all the other ones had TOM's and were pretty much heavy dog,s . PETE had one that night he showed me he called the salamander it was black and gold not green this guitar was sold . All the gold tops came from a musician collector from the Chicago area . I bought a guitar strap that night and someday i hope to use it with the 72 again, the only Guitar I've owned i want back !

Disclaimer , I bought two 54 LPC's RI's of that vintage , Those TOM guitar's IMO were pretty much like that Thunders song , Just another girl . Something about a P 90 stop tail guitar i really like !