• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Orig. ´56 GT Experts Help Please

Rich R

In the Zone/Backstage Pass
I would say JJB's GT is a much better buy than the one you missed out on, wannatone, IF you don't mind the all-gold paint. It's originality is beyond question, and it's a good deal cheaper.

Chef Greg

Rich R said:
I would say JJB's GT is a much better buy than the one you missed out on, wannatone, IF you don't mind the all-gold paint. It's originality is beyond question, and it's a good deal cheaper.

"ditto... (there's no funny business with that guitar--it' just been played a lot, IMO)

auch, Ich nehme gern einem Ortsbier (oder vier) --wie heisst dieser Brauerei?

Wannatone

Thanks for your advice!
It could be a nice deal if it doesn´t get much higher. Just remember that I would have to spend some extra 20 per cent on VAT & customs. I´ll keep an eye on it, though.

Chef Greg,
Paulaner Roggen Naturtrüb. Four bottles don´t sound bad :) They´re being offered in half boxes containing ten bottles ;-)

Rich R

I don't know what it's like getting through German airport Customs (in France they don't even have a Customs agent bother to stand there, let alone actually check anything), but if you have to pay an extra 20% if it's shipped to you, why not consider a RT to Montreal, pick it up in person, and hand-carry it back to the Fatherland? You'll save money, and get a cool trip in the bargain.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I might have missed if this was mentioned, but:

Old Goldtops [I am most familiar with 56s] seen to have two coats of gold paint, and the top one changes color while the under coat stays the original tint. I have seen it so many times.

MikeSlub

Administrator
Tom: Thanks for this info; you confirmed what I've seen on a few of them and wondered about! You're the greatest! :)

Wannatone

Tom, thanks to share your tremendous knowledge!

I wonder if they just painted them twice when they were not fully satisfied with the first finish?

Thanks everybody!

I have to extend my local beer offer to a considerably larger number of forum members than I thought initally :))

Just let me know when you´re on a trip to the cradle of beer!

johnnyjellybean

Re: Got Pics

Wannatone said:
front view

rear view

edit

The ser. no. is actually black under the clear coating. I must have remembered wrong.

The "dual" finish can be seen on the higher resolution top photo.

That guitar was a great deal at just under $16K . Nice looking. No ugly wear or green spots.
I won't let mine go unless it reaches around $16,500 or more. If the bids don't move up,I'll be cancelling the auction 24 hrs before the end.

Mike I think you would have to spend closer to $25K to get a 9.5 or cleaner these days. I know a collector in Brooklyn who just bought one for $25K

Wannatone...... Do you know Volkmar Borneman? He's a dealer in Germany. You might want to check out what he has.

Last edited:

DrRobert

Les Paul Forum Member
I'm confused. Why would a 56 GT sell for 25K and a 54 sell for 15K in the same condition. Is the tuneamatic worth that much more?

Rich R

The TOM has always been the chief draw of the 56. Although stud bridges have their aficionados, the TOM was a major technological jump, and vintage guitar aficionados have been willing to pay the premium for years now. Interestingly, there's a silver lining: if the stud bridge is your thing, you can save significant $$ on your vintage GT.

Gary Dick once told me he simply views ANY TOM/ stoptail Gibsons as desirable and collectable. Such is the allure of the TOM.

Another point: the LP evolutionary improvements are ALL associated with significant, discrete price jumps: trapeze to stud, stud to TOM, P-90s to PAFs, GT to Burst. The prices for the "good stuff" may get us down, but there's a certain internal logic to them!

One last point: want to "game the system" a bit? Try vintage Gibson solid-body "arbitrage"! original Black Beauties all have TOMs, and the later ones have PAFs, as do ES-345s and 355s, yet are priced far below GTs, Bursts and Dotnecks. Given the market dynamics described above, might these represent current "opportunities"? ;)