• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

50´s and 60´s style neck

Mats A

Could you choose between a 50´s and a 60´s neck on a Standard Les Paul up until the asymetrical neck came?

Don

Yes. I think they started offering that choice on the Standard in 2002 until the asymmetrical neck was offered.

Triburst

Those 50's necks at this time were pretty sweet, too (on the Standards). As I recall (I had two of them), the 50's neck at that time was very similar to some Custom Shop 60's necks. For instance, my 2005 '68 LP Custom RI has a neck that is very similar in thickness and difference between 1st fret and 12th fret neck depth measurement to those Standards. The really thin necks at that time were on the "Classics."

sonar

My pre-redesign, '08 Standard 50's profile neck is second only to my '56 Martin D21 for my personal preference. The Standards vary a bit, but mine is extremely comfy. This was also before Gibson USA went all Louisville Slugger with the 50's profile.

The differences between the 60's and 50's profile from the '02-'08 Standards aren't as drastic as you would think. They trend towards the same shape from frets 1-5 and when you get about halfway up the neck, then the 60's tends to go shallow.

Marshal artist

My Studio Deluxe II has a 50's neck. At the time the 60's neck was all the rage but I actually prefer the 50's profile. To each his own I guess.