• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1967 Gibson Trini Lopez Standard Possible purchase.

RR82

Hello everyone, it's been quite a while since I've posted anything. I wanted to check in with you guys here and the incredible knowledge everyone here has to offer. I recently found the owner of my grandfathers Gibson 1967 Trini Lopez Standard. I have not yet seen it in person but a friend of mine who actually knows the owner has recently seen the guitar. Obviously I will be inspecting the guitar myself but, it has been explained to me this guitar is still 100% original and super squeaky clean, a perfect example of the guitar. Where I need the forums help is 1, its my grandfathers guitar originally, and I do not want to over pay based on a emotional sentimental value. I still have to pay fair value on both sides to make this transaction feel right. I fully understand everyone here is simply basing thier opinion on the rather limited information I have at this point besides being told it's extremely clean. $5500 is the price the man is stuck on. In the real world is this a gouge with him knowing how attached I am to this guitar or is this a fair price for an extremely clean (red) 1967 Trini Lopez Standard?? Thank you all in advance for your opinions. :salude

TM1

The big reason most don't want a semi from 1966-67 is because the nut width on alot of them is very narrow; 1 9/16" and prices reflect that. However since you want it for a very personal reason, don't get taken and maybe tell the guy that you'd rather just walk and see if that prompts a reduction in price on his part. I hope it works out, but you shouldn't pay more than $3,500.-4,000 tops

RR82

Thank you guys so much for your opinion on the guitar. Well... I did end up purchasing the guitar, and yes I paid more than I wanted to but I now own it. I NEVER I mean NEVER let sentimental issues make a decision for me when it comes to guitars. This one was just different. I purchased it, drove to my moms house and she cried and just wanted to hold the guitar, She is 75 years old and the only person left on her side. I was definitely smiling from ear to ear. The overage of I paid was worth it. Can't win them all and I've sure won a lot. This one was just different. Again thank you for your value insight that you gave me. I certainly would not have gone against reason but today I did and I have no regrets. On a players aspect it's outstanding!! Very clean and sounds excellent and THAT judgment is certainly not off today haha!

RR82

https://imgur.com/gallery/PN6Ui
imagejpeg

Last edited:

Pellman73

Thank you guys so much for your opinion on the guitar. Well... I did end up purchasing the guitar, and yes I paid more than I wanted to but I now own it. I NEVER I mean NEVER let sentimental issues make a decision for me when it comes to guitars. This one was just different. I purchased it, drove to my moms house and she cried and just wanted to hold the guitar, She is 75 years old and the only person left on her side. I was definitely smiling from ear to ear. The overage of I paid was worth it. Can't win them all and I've sure won a lot. This one was just different. Again thank you for your value insight that you gave me. I certainly would not have gone against reason but today I did and I have no regrets. On a players aspect it's outstanding!! Very clean and sounds excellent and THAT judgment is certainly not off today haha!

Awesome! Great story and congrats!

i can't see the pic though

would love to see it

renderit

I don't think you paid too much. It is a vintage guitar after all. If all we value things on is resale what a dry dry world we have here. A new Memphis build 335 is 3-6K after discounts. This is an actual 67. I think it is worth it.

VamboRool

Guitar looks great! And it still has a bunch of case candy with it!! How did you know this was your grandfathers? You should see if you can find any pictures of him playing it and post those also. What became of his amp? What did he play the guitar thru?

RR82

Thanks everyone! Also, I definitely need to find some photos with him playing the guitar that would be great! I believe the amp he had from what I can remember was a fender silver face deluxe nothing crazy. He did play a few times back in the day possibly with this very guitar even with Gene Autry, they were cousins.

latestarter

You can't really put a value on something like this. I wouldn't lose a moment of sleep paying than market price for something like this.