• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Recommended case for my R9

mohansno

I am not happy with the lifton case that came with my R9. I don't think it will protect the guitar well enough. For example isn't the case made symmetrical: The three tuningheads for the brightest strings almost touch the side of the case, while the other three tuningheads have a lot of space before they touch the case. So if it gets a bit bumpy during transport I might risk some damage on the tuningheads/neck.
Can anyone recommend a high quality replacement case?

J T

Scan e-bay or somewhere for a Gibson Gen-1 case. Lots of members here put their guitars in them. Don't worry if it is listed with broken latches because you can get replacement latches.

Welcome!

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Scan e-bay or somewhere for a Gibson Gen-1 case. Lots of members here put their guitars in them. Don't worry if it is listed with broken latches because you can get replacement latches.

Welcome!

Called a Protector case, and the first version [called Gen-1 here] is the preferred model.

The smaller one in these photos:

normal_917_p22003.jpg

normal_917_p22004.jpg

And best to put a small cloth [polis cloth or wash cloth] under the neck to keep the headstock from touching.
:)

Xpensive Wino

And best to put a small cloth [polis cloth or wash cloth] under the neck to keep the headstock from touching.

Make sure that said cloth is woven from undyed "old growth" 100% cotton...:rofl

mohansno

Well the problem isn't the headstock itself. It's the tuningheads for the three brightest strings. See the picture. So a cloth won't protect the guitar. What about new cases? Which ones are good?

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
TW59 knows a little something about a Les Paul and the limitations of a Lifton case.

The ends of the tuning keys (won't touch in a protector) are of no consequence compared to keeping that headstock from touching.

Big Al

I always liked the old black TKL Custom Art & Historic cases with the burgundy lining.
The Protector Gen 1 case is a dilly!

Uncle Gary

I always liked the old black TKL Custom Art & Historic cases with the burgundy lining.
The Protector Gen 1 case is a dilly!

I like the regular TKL cases that Big Al speaks of. They can be found on eBay or purchased new from several suppliers.

DanD

Epiphone OHSC all the way and consider it theft proof. :laugh2: :biggrin: :2cool :couch

landminelenny

Les Paul Froum Member
I am not happy with the lifton case that came with my R9. I don't think it will protect the guitar well enough. For example isn't the case made symmetrical: The three tuningheads for the brightest strings almost touch the side of the case, while the other three tuningheads have a lot of space before they touch the case. So if it gets a bit bumpy during transport I might risk some damage on the tuningheads/neck.
Can anyone recommend a high quality replacement case?

The earlier Lifton style reissue cases from 2002 were terrible with headstocks touching the bottom of the case but the current ones are great IMO with extra padding and more depth.

I've seen guitars where the necks are installed at a slight angle so the bridge and tailpiece are not dead centre on the body making the the headstock sit closer to one side of the case. Measure from the edge of your tailpiece to the edge of the body on both sides to make sure yours doesn't have this problem before laying out more $$$ on a case.

Big Al

The earlier Lifton style reissue cases from 2002 were terrible with headstocks touching the bottom of the case but the current ones are great IMO with extra padding and more depth.

I've seen guitars where the necks are installed at a slight angle so the bridge and tailpiece are not dead centre on the body making the the headstock sit closer to one side of the case. Measure from the edge of your tailpiece to the edge of the body on both sides to make sure yours doesn't have this problem before laying out more $$$ on a case.

I dunno that I'd agree with you entirely, Rich. You are right about the earlier Liftons, but they are more vintage correct, and I am not a fan of the original Liftons so phooey on both. The two new style Liftons I got with the two Historics I bought in 2013 sucketh mightily and are not very good cases in general, with misaligned and hard to close latches, a light build and though better than the older more correct versions, these still are not what I'd consider a good case.

For the big dough that is attached to the purchase price of these guitars I'd want a quality case and I feel screwed paying more and getting a case that is way cheaper in all respects and of lesser quality than the TKL hard cases I got with my earlier Historics. Honestly the less expensive USA cases seem better than that Lifton wannabe case. At least IMO.

I can only guess that the vintage appeal of a Lifton Brown Case is the only reason anyone would really prefer this case. That's cool for some but that ain't how I roll. I think it sucks that I have to shell out another couple of hundred dollars or more to get an acceptable case on a guitar that cost 4K!!!!!