• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO FEELS THIS WAY?

Elliot Easton

Am I the only guy who finds it really lame when guys refer to their guitars as "she"? I know it's totally petty, and I have no idea why this bugs me, but it just seems really dopey.

NewOldCokeDave

I guess I should confess, I did name mine...

"Strat" for my Stratocaster
"Tele" for my Telecaster
"LP" for my Les Paul
"ES335" for my ES-335
"Hamer" for my Hamer
and "Martin" for my 000-28

:laugh2: :biglaugh:

Cream Fan

Well, I do call the one in my avatar "The Clapton SG" for obvious reasons and it does have "Eric Clapton" engraved on the trussrod cover, so there you go.

tele00

whether it be a Guitar a Boat or a beloved rifle......I think " she " or " this old girl " is from a generation long before this 1962 born youngin' . If its said by someone thats 80 or something......fine....... but otherwise..." she " should have a full set of female organs ........

LookerBob

Yeah, it bugs the hell out of me... almost as much as giving them actual girls' names.

*shudder*

Elliot Easton

Cream Fan said:
Well, I do call the one in my avatar "The Clapton SG" for obvious reasons and it does have "Eric Clapton" engraved on the trussrod cover, so there you go.

No, that makes total sense, and anyone who knows SG's would recognize your guitar as the Clapton SG. I'm talking about guys who say something like, "well, she's a good one, but I think I'll put some of Tom Holmes' pickups in her". :bigal

the399

"she" just sounds better then "it" , and guitars tend to make some people feel emotion and most of us are men and saying he just doesn't....

Elliot Easton

tele00 said:
whether it be a Guitar a Boat or a beloved rifle......I think " she " or " this old girl " is from a generation long before this 1962 born youngin' . If its said by someone thats 80 or something......fine....... but otherwise..." she " should have a full set of female organs ........

Thank you.

Elliot Easton

the399 said:
"she" just sounds better then "it" , and guitars tend to make some people feel emotion and most of us are men and saying he just doesn't....

I'm sure Picasso got pretty attached to his paint brushes too, but I'll be he didn't call them "Fifi", and "Coco"! Guitars are tools. Beautiful tools, to be sure, but tools just the same. I get emotional about the music that they serve to create.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
tele00 said:

You guitar doesn't?!?! :lol

Adwex

2 threads?

IMHO, if you're gonna give a Les Paul a name, it should have a manly name since generally they have a beefy, ballsy tone. My R7 drips with testosterone.

Ok, no homo jokes.:biglaugh:

DoubleBoogie

It may have started back with BB and Lucille. Who knows. It doesn't bother me a bit though. If someone finds a guitar that helps him to develop his "sound", it is only natural for that person to become attached to it. If he wants to give it a girls name, so what? I can see why you (and myself) don't do it. Yep, it may be a little on the dopey side, but there are a whole lot more things out there to be bothered about than people giving their guitars a feminine name. Just my opinion...

Last edited:

55Custom

Elliot Easton said:
but it just seems really dopey.
:laugh2: :applaude

I never even heard of such a thing til I read LPF. I guess it's just a way to personalize a guitar that someone has feelings for. :hmm
There are cases though where certain names can make a guitar of distinction more well known. For instance, "Bengal Whore" because of how it looks.

I might name a certain guitar I have just to build it up as something more than what it really is, just to give it some disingenuous notoriety in case I have to sell it. :lol

B

Bluesslinger

DoubleBoogie said:
It may have started back with BB and Lucille.

That's my thought, but we know how the guitar came about it's name and it surely wasn't a term of endearment. This question got me searching for the nautical origins of this practice....haven't found anything too definitive. I've since named my favorite screwdriver Matilda and my retracting tape measure Bernice.

Chlsmo

All Access/Backstage Pass
My good friend refers to my 86' Standard and my 90' Classic as Excalibur, and Destroyer. He'll come over and ask to play Excalibur or whatever. Its funny I think he got it from Wayne's World.

PS The Cars rock man! The Cars greatest hits on cassette was my first music buying experience in the later eighties! (I played that one tape until it broke, I even played it in my teddy ruxpin)

phil47uk

How about Happy Humphrey.. Now that aint feminine?

Mind you... If one reads some of the strange names some people call themselves in here, their guitar names sound quite tame...:laugh2:

Phil.

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
Elliot Easton said:
I'm sure Picasso got pretty attached to his paint brushes too, but I'll be he didn't call them "Fifi", and "Coco"! Guitars are tools. Beautiful tools, to be sure, but tools just the same. I get emotional about the music that they serve to create.

Exactly. I don't object to B.B. King calling his guitar Lucille, because he's B.B. King, and we're not. But for me, that's the exception that proves the rule.

dwagar

The 'hourglass' shape, the Cali Girl case, the antiquated expression "Yep, she's a beaut!". Just common slang I think.

AndyC

I actually don't mind it when other people call their guitar "she", but I certainly feel like a total pile when I say something like that myself. I do have a "relationship" with my guitar, but it's not sexual.. :rolleyes