• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD: 1st Gibson Les Paul, 2003 LP Standard

Bluesbreaker59

Les Paul Forum Member
So after many years of lusting after one, playing different models, comparing, etc, I finally got my own Gibson LP Standard. I was all set to buy a mid 2011 Gibson LP Traditional that I had found for a reasonable price; but I got a call last night from my old guitar instructor/musical mentor, and he said that he was ready to sell his beloved Les Paul. So after trying out and not liking an SG 61 reissue and a PRS DGT, I thought, yep... this is home. Unfortunately due to a bad back he has had to give up playing Les Pauls permanently.

Now for the backstory, I was in the shop the day he bought it, I myself had been playing it earlier in the day at the same shop and trying to figure out how I could buy it. He played it and within 10 minutes I knew it was his. Over the years, he's had me play it when sitting in on his gigs a number of times and it just sings, one of the most responsive guitars I've ever played. The guitar is cherry sunburst, pretty light colored really. Its pretty darn light weight, I believe around 8 lbs, and it is LOUD even playing it unplugged. Now over the years its had some battle scars (finish dings mostly) but its been played alot. Frets are in good shape, pickups are still stock, I'm not sure if they're Burstbuckers or 57 Classics or what, but they are throaty and meaty sounding. Looks like the caps are Mojo Dijon caps, not sure if that's good bad or otherwise.

So what should I know about 2003 Les Paul Standards? Anything good, bad or unique? I'm still just really excited for landing this one. I'll post a pic here soon too.

chuckNC

A good one is a good one is a good one, whether it has the "right" specs or not. Or even if you don't know what the specs are! Like so many of the best things in life, this guitar will be appreciated more because it didn't immediately fall into your hands the moment you first saw it. I'm stoked just hearing you describe it!

Play it in good health. :salude

sonar

I've played 3 or 4, non-vintage guitars that I would consider ones that "got away." One was a particular 2003 Standard that had just had the goods.

Congrats!

Big Al

GOOD FO YOU!!!!!
Sounds like it was meant to be. IMO every year from 52 till now has banner Les Pauls. You have a nice one and it has a cool story. Play on, brother!!:hank

Bluesbreaker59

Les Paul Forum Member
GOOD FO YOU!!!!!
Sounds like it was meant to be. IMO every year from 52 till now has banner Les Pauls. You have a nice one and it has a cool story. Play on, brother!!:hank

Al, thanks, that means a lot, I remember when I first discovered this place you were one of the first ones to "smack me around" since I was bragging about my then new Heritage 150CM. That was also a great guitar, but long gone I'm afraid.

zoommutt

They should be Burstbucker V's I think or what became Burstbucker 1 & 2. I love my 2002.

Last edited:

Bluesbreaker59

Les Paul Forum Member
Got to plug it in last night at home after my little one went to bed. Plugged into my Tweed Deluxe and let'er rip. What a tone! Nice power, but nice clarity to the notes. I'll likely switch to 50's wiring, because I strongly prefer that sound. Also tried it quickly for some clean tones with my Victoria 45410, that was some mighty fine tone! The note bloom on this thing is fantastic.

mistersnappy

The coolest thing about this story to me is that it belonged to your self-described musical mentor and friend! Nothing like keeping it in the family.

Bluesbreaker59

Les Paul Forum Member
The coolest thing about this story to me is that it belonged to your self-described musical mentor and friend! Nothing like keeping it in the family.

Damn skippy!!! We met when I was 22 and a young confused guitarist. I remember being scared to talk to him. He's been the premier guitarist in our area for years, (blues, blues-rock, country, rock, rockabilly) he's a machine. He showed me lots of cool licks, tricks, scales, disected songs, all kinds of chords, playing with triads, etc. He taught me how to use the gear I had to get the tones I want. I'm lucky to count him as a friend and most definitely my musical mentor. Truly an honor to use his Les Paul.

On another note, I got on the Tom Holmes waiting list about 2 mos. ago... My time should be coming up soon, quoted 2-3 mos. I'm very impressed with whatever pickups are in this thing; but I've always wanted a set of Holmes.

Ryan Givhan

correct me if im wrong but that looks like an abr bridge, shouldnt a standard have a nashville?

Big Al

Al, thanks, that means a lot, I remember when I first discovered this place you were one of the first ones to "smack me around" since I was bragging about my then new Heritage 150CM. That was also a great guitar, but long gone I'm afraid.

Those were love taps, I come across more strident than intended. Not everyone gets it. I'm sorry if I came across that way.

The guitar is lovely, as is the amp!!!! Mmmm, mmm, good! That is a tasty tone recipe! As Mister Snapalicious posted, great history with that axe. Mojo infused tonalicious voodoo karmalating vibe machine.

Couldn't be in better hands.
:hippy

Bluesbreaker59

Les Paul Forum Member
I confirmed that the bridge does have a wire, so I believe that ABR-1. Also, he called me today, and said that he forgot that the original pickups were changed out for Suhr SSV humbuckers. Thus far no complaints with them, again very clear sounding. Have no idea if they're good or not. But in the end it doesn't really matter, because I've been on the Tom Holmes wait list and my number just came up. So its going to receive a set of those. I also still had a set of Jensen paper in oil caps sitting around my parts drawer... might have to try em. Not sure if they're better or worse, but might as well try em.

I ordered some small parts to replace broken or missing stuff (switch plate cover, input jack cover, etc. I polished her up with some Virtuoso and put some fresh DR Blues on and I top wrapped it.

One of the pickup rings is also cracked, any difference between regular Gibson pickup rings and Historic pickup rings?

Bluesbreaker59

Les Paul Forum Member
Been playing the guitar for a few gigs now. WOWZA! This thing just rings and sustains like crazy. I took out the Suhr's after the first gig and found a cheap set of Duncan Antiquities to hold me over until the Holmes show up. The Antiquities sound incredible! I forgot how great they were.

I had a local tech re-do the wiring with RS Guitarworks volume pots and CTS 500k tone pots (from RS) and used a pair of Angela oil and foil caps I had laying around. We did 50's style wiring, because I like having the tone knob work very gradually. For some reason it seems that its not working though... I've verified it against a bunch of different diagrams and it looks correct. But if you roll the volume knob down a notch or two you lose highs. And if the volume is full up, the tone knob doesn't seem to be able to roll off highs until about 3-4 on the tone knob. So I think I need him to verify his work.