• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Scratchplate Gap

Hiwatt

Hi folks.
I've been playing my Les Paul for a while with the scratch plate removed.I like both looks so decided to install it again but looking at the scratch plate from a playing angle,there is quite a gap between the scratch plate and the guitar.I don't remember it being this obvious.
Has anyone got any tips for getting it to lay tight against the guitar?
I've tried adjusting the nut and the guard but there's still a gap.

JJC

Can you post a photo? What you're describing could be normal.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
I prefer it to be off the guitar top and be almost even with the top of the ring. Based on the same/similar application on other Gibsons, I'm sure it is not designed to rest on the guitar top. If it does touch, put some felt or something under it so it doesn't cut into the finish.

Hiwatt

Most other pictures I've seen have the pick guard fairly tight against the guitar.
I don't remember it being quite this big a gap?
20140310_231552.jpg

Here's a pic before the pick guard was removed.Although it's from a different angle it stil doesn't look quite so apparent to me?

IMG_0420.jpg

Last edited:

Hiwatt

everything looks normal to me.
Really?Most pics I've looked at at Les Paul's I haven't seen that space between the pick guard and the guitar.
Plus I also wasn't sure if the gap was there before I removed it thinking it was something to do with the way I put it on but if you guys think that's normal then that's fine by me?
Thanks a lot.

Wilko

If Ted wanted 'em flat against the guitar, they'd have screwed 'em down.

JJC

It's quite possible something shifted or changed a little bit. Even the tightness of the front screw can affect how it lies. Here's my 2005 for reference - it is definitely flat in the area you describe:
100_1702.jpg

That said, they're all different and a couple others I have show a wider gap. But just for kicks, try backing off the front screw a half turn and then re-adjust the bracket nut.

Last edited:

Hiwatt

It's quite possible something shifted or changed a little bit. Even the tightness of the front screw can affect how it lies. Here's my 2005 for reference - it is definitely flat in the area you describe:
100_1702.jpg

That said, they're all different and a couple others I have show a wider gap. But just for kicks, try backing off the front screw a half turn and then re-adjust the bracket nut.
I've only seen a couple that has a space similar to mine.I have tried messing with the screw and adjusting the bracket but can't get it to sit flat against the guitar.
I think I'll jut need to live with it.It's been off that long that I can't remember if the gap was always there or not?

Don

I've never seen one sit this flat to the top of the guitar. I wouldn't want it to as it could leave a mark, especially if something abrasive got under it.

100_1702.jpg

Wilko

You can take the bracket off and bend it to taste. As Mentioned, they aren't designed to lay flat on the guitar. Another issue is that on many Les Pauls, if you get it that flat, the bracket screw will cut into the top.

Doc Sausage

Scratch plates and bullocks, ya gotta like the Brits! But don't get all twisted and bitter lest ye be Australian!:hee

Hiwatt

You can take the bracket off and bend it to taste. As Mentioned, they aren't designed to lay flat on the guitar. Another issue is that on many Les Pauls, if you get it that flat, the bracket screw will cut into the top.
Wiko,I don't want to start bending things.It's fine I was just wondering if others sit like this too and as they do,that's fine with me:yah
By the way regarding the nut/screw cutting into the wood,when I first removed the scratch plate there was indeed a small dent in the wood where the screw had cut into it.You would think they would at least put a small piece of foam between the screw and the top to prevent this?

Hiwatt

First-world problems, indeed...

:)
:hee It's just my "OCD" rearing itself!Seriously though I wasn't aware of the gap before removing the pick guard.I just noticed it after putting it back on.Now that I know it's nothing to do with the way I've put it on,I can live with it.

John Potter

Blessed be me: 6 historics and not a single one has the pickguard laying flat against the wood.

I used to have a LP Classic and I changed the pickguard to a historic. I made it lay flat and put a piece of tape on the bottom of the bracket hardware so it didn't scratch the top of the guitar.

From my point-of-view, your pickguard looks perfectly normal. If you want to get all OCD about it, maybe you should worry about adjusting the height of the pickguard so it lines up perfectly flat against the top of the pickup rings so that all of the plastic is a totally flat and smooth surface! :)

Wilko

...adjusting the height of the pickguard so it lines up perfectly flat against the top of the pickup rings so that all of the plastic is a totally flat and smooth surface! :)

I'm pretty sure that's how they are designed to be set up.

snag

Leafing through BOTB. They're all different from flush with the top to flush with the pup rings. My Classic is flush with the top, and my Standard is just a little higher than 1/16" off the top. I agree with Wilko, you can bend the bracket slightly if it bothers you.

Black58

I HATE pickguards on my Lesters. I don't like the way they look, and 9 outta 10 times, they're physically in the way (even with the bracket bent an' the 'guard edge flat on the top). .. From the 13 I've had over the years, "Vee" (washed cherry '03 R8) has been the one and only exception. That guitar looks good with it, and fer some reason, it ain't in the way.