• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Buy before you try?

MWR

Not only did I buy without trying it first, but it was also a brand I never tried before. I made sure it was a good dealer and waited for the right weight and took a leap of faith. Worked out fantastic! The guitar was a PRS DGT. ;-)

Barkingtree

I did..
I knew the weight and had a playing impression but when I got the guitar
the pots, caps were ..sheet and the nut was way high.
After some work on my end Ive got a player. If you don't really know
the guy doing the demo for you ask very pointed questions.
Would I have passed based on what I found. ..maybe.
The guitar does well for me.

BURSTGANG

MANY TIMES! Just know your seller and research the guitar that your looking at buying. Still from a far thats all you can do as each guitar will be different. I have only really not liked a couple.............the rest were all great..........maybe I just got lucky.

D'Mule

All of my Gibsons, except my first one. I now have 4 LPs and a Firebird.

Big Al

I haven't bought a guitar that I haven't held and played. Never off ebay. But I think in my case I have been lucky to live close to some great sources localy, the HOG is a notable one now.

I've purchased a few amps off of ebay, and though I might be wary of guitar purchases there, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one untouched by me, if it was from a place like Wildwood or Mark's. Good people, good reps.

Part of my urge to buy guitars has been viceral, ramped up by holding and playing and hearing. Maybe because I'm a Dinosaur, and so much of my experience has been in stores, or in person that my habits would differ from more evolved buyers, comfortable with online purchases.

I think if you are comfortable with it, why not? I don't get the lust from pics, it's just a photo too me and it never seems real. Others can readily muster up some serious lustage, and get guitars of their dreams. All from a photo. Something I'm uncomfortable with and missing out on.

Look how many times someone has posted a thread about their soon to arrive guitar, bought off the web. Most seem utterly orgasmic with the satisfaction of having an awesome NGD when the get their hands on it. Seems to me the general experience has been very positive.

toxpert

Once...I bought a tele off the bay...had a beautifully flamed neck.
When it arrived-unplayable. I put a bit of work into it and it just was not for me.
I sold it for a loss and swore never again.

Fast forward...I have bought a couple of Gibsons without trying the particular guitar first.
A ES-333 and more recently, a 1958 LP Jr husk. Both of these Gibbys are all I expected and more.

Seoighs

I've had mixed results, and always insist on extensive photos. I prefer to get a sound/video clip. At least when I buy Gibsons, I know it's possible to address a lot of potential issues. Once I bought an 82 gold top classic with an undisclosed neck break... managed to get my $ refunded thru ebay.

tonar8353

I bought my 2009 R4 online from Route 66 Guitars and have been totally happy with it. I was concerned purchasing a guitar that I did not have that magic moment with before I laid down the money but it is an exceptional instrument.

shred

Over the years I've bought eight guitars online (ebay, dealers) and they all worked out. The key is to ask the right questions and ask for detailed photos, so you know what you're getting before the point of sale. For example, a dealer was advertising a '73 custom as a '72. I asked him to check the pot codes and they came back '73. You just have to be aware of potential pitfalls of whatever model you're dealing with before you put down the cash... Most guys are honest and great to deal with tho...

For me the biggest concern is the potential for damage during shipping...

posulliv

I've purchased one guitar online without playing it. It worked out okay, but the experience felt strange. I'd do it again, particularly from a reputable dealer, but I'd still worry if I couldn't send it back.

I think this is a somewhat irrational feeling however, since I've commissioned instruments built. Obviously I couldn't try those before I bought and I couldn't send them back.

And back in the golden days of the local independent dealer no one in the hinterlands stocked at the levels a Wildwood does today, or had the inventory turnover rate. The chances of getting a dud were probably much higher then, even though I could play every decent instrument in town and choose from amongst them.

Last edited:

Direstraits

2: Both FMIC products and bought on line from a shop. I've never bought on on E-bay. One was an artist model Strat & I more or less knew what I was getting, & the other was a Squier CV '50s Telecaster which was bought based on good reviews and I wasn't disappointed.
I don't think I'd buy a really expensive guitar without trying it first.

frazettafan

Everytime I do it its a big hassle but worth it in the end as I know some great luthiers. My two SG juniors were not 'bought' but swapped for paintings and I never tried them first. They were awful when I got them but are now superb guitars after a few tweaks from someone who knows what they are doing..

J.D.

If you buy from a reputable and established seller I don't see the issue. A lot of people do not live close to any shops with any selection, and Historics are basically production guitars and not 1-offs, so you basically know the neck size, fret size, electronics, etc.

sitedrifter

I have bought two guitars online without buying.

1. Gretsch CVTII
2. Taylor 416

I also just purchased a new AMP online without trying, Carvin V3MC

None of my Gibson guitars were bought online and everyone was tried in person by me.

frazettafan

I did buy a Junior online from 'Rumbleseat' once - what a goddamn mess that was! "Great player" they said. Neck needed heat-treatment to get the humps out of it…...

reswot

I've bought a ton of guitars online, over the phone, etc. I bought several guitars from Saul back when Centre City was still around.

The only problem I had was that an ES-335 (bought on eBay with a headstock repair) arrived with the crack opened back up. The seller paid to have it repaired (correctly, this time) at Lay's and all was well.

grimlyflick

Bought a Ampeg Dan Armstrong online and for playability and fit and finish it was one of the best guitars I've ever bought, my experience of guitars from the Fujigen Gakki factory has always been good though.

My current LP signature T came direct from Gibson's Eurpean distributers to my local shop and turned out to be a total player, so I've been lucky so far.

:)

Ryan Givhan

bought my R8 on ebay because the price was way too good to pass up on. it will go to my grave. and i am currently not gassing for another guitar, because its so amazing.