• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Which one would you let go?

stephan_l

Im facing divorce from my wife and have to let go at least one or two guitars. In question is a 2009 R8 and my "old" lady, a ´81 custom. The custom has a lot of history which means something for me. But since i own one CR8 and the R8 in question, i haven´t played the custom very often.
The R8 IS a very good sounding R8, far better then the custom. But maybe nothing which can´t be replaced by another historic someday in the future (i think).

One thing i know for sure, i need the money and i think im going to keep the custom. But im curios, what would you do?

Last edited:

DanD

I'd keep the Custom. The history can't be replaced and I find it easier to find a good newer guitar versus a good older guitar.

Over time I think the good old wood finds long term homes while the newer stuff is still being flipped.

frenchphil

tough decision, in tough times

i'd keep the custom because as you said the r8 can be replaced in the future, especially with the new 2013 reissues which sound very good according to owners here

as far as value, i don't know about the custom , but it must be in the same range of money, or a bit more than the r8

if you only need to let go one,then i'd say the r8, i'd keep the custom and cr8

now if the custom was related to memories of old days with my wife, then i'd let her go but that is personnal

stephan_l

In fact the custom has more to do with my "new" realtionship. When i bought the custom, i first meet her. Then havent seen her for over 25 years........life is strange sometimes :)

Last edited:
Y

yeti

Im facing deforce from my wife and have to let go at least one or two guitars. In question is a 2009 R8 and my "old" lady, a ´81 custom. The custom has a lot of history which means something for me. But since i own one CR8 and the R8 in question, i haven´t played here not very often.
The R8 IS a very good sounding R8, far better then the custom. But maybe nothing which can´t be replaced by another historic someday in the future (i think).

One thing i know for sure, i need the money and i think im going to keep the custom. But im curios, what would you do?

I'd write a song about it, using the Custom and with the proceeds from what would undoubtedly be a masterpiece I'd buy a replacement for the R8.
keep the "old lady":peace2

stock_hippie

Les Paul Froum Member
sell them both...give the money to the girl and tell her you love her and you sold your guitars for her and you want her back..

frenchphil

stock hippie you are a true romantic guy, lol

keep the custom, because this guitar has a spell on you, and you don't want to break that spell

frenchphil

stephan, keep the custom and give it the name of your new old girlfriend

hippie, how is that for romanticism? lol

Kris Ford

Another vote on keeping the Custom..also, I've just been reunited with my exwife, it's been 17 years!:salude

Black58

Sell 'em both, an' skip town, in the middle of the night! :bike

stock_hippie

Les Paul Froum Member
stephan, keep the custom and give it the name of your new old girlfriend

hippie, how is that for romanticism? lol

i love you frenchphil!
ScreenShot2014-02-16at82555AM_zps0ab3660b.png
[/URL][/IMG]

frenchphil

damm! hippie! we're talkin guitars here!! so behave!!

i hope for stephan that there are nice memories related to that custom, so it helps him make the right choice

divorce is a bad time to go through, the les paul will be there to be played and forget about the worries

now if we could have some pics of the guitars

the cr8 must sound good i guess, and in case he has to sell it as well , it might be worth some money

corpse

Du sollst den Frau toten und im Keller im Glas stecken; denn Mann kann alle Dritt haben. Nur meine kleine Ahnung...

frenchphil

corpse, isn't that a bit too much? if i understand german right, and i think i do

stock_hippie

Les Paul Froum Member
I think he's trying to say he wants a "Stock_Hippie CC Model"...in purple!