• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Les Paul Customs, CS not 57RI

Tele52

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a 2012 LP Custom. It has things that go against trad grains. But I would like lighter, the pickups will have to go. But I'm told the neck is much thinner than the 57RI. I had one, great guitar, I couldn't deal with the big neck. Anyone have one?

Triplet

I have a 2009. Not light, high 9lbs. Neck is 60's though not as thin as most USA's. Pickups are fine for modern rock/jazz.

Does a 2012 have an ebony board?

Tele52

Richlite, I ordered it. We'll see what it's like. I hope I'm wrong on the pickups.

Triplet

Now that I think about it, I did put an RS kit in it. Brightened it a bit. Those neck pups are notoriously muddy. You can get lucky and get a good match for your guitar though. I have a set of those (498R/496T?) in a 90's Standard and 2001 SG that are decent.

Trans-Am

Pix guys? Pix please?
Richlite? Oh no!!
It's not the same man!!
The Les Paul Custom will never be the same as it was back even then.
It's like getting a boob job along with botox and shit!
Why can't Gibson leave it the way it is or was?...and yet still charge an arm and a leg for something less and un-original?
No more Les Paul's for me.... this is where it ends and a start to get hold of any " PRE- " Richlite/Pseudo-Hog/Ebony.

Peace!!

Tele52

You're missing my point, I had a 57RI, it was a little too heavy. And the neck was too big. I wasn't looking for a historic I wanted a more modern custom. It's a custom, not your idea of a custom, but that's okay, to each his own. I want a guitar I can play the crap out of.
A lot of guys like weight relieved bodies. We'll see, if I don't like it I'll send it back. I'm a guitar player, not a historian.

Humbuck

av.jpg

Custom Shop Chambered Reissue '57 spec...comes with me everywhere! 7lbs, 11oz of awesome rock guitar.

Triplet

Lemmesee, in addition to what I already said I changed, I also drilled and plugged for an ABR-1.
'07 Oxblood Custom
DSC00496.jpg

Tele52

I was thinking of double blacks, it gives it the English Rock star look.
Turns the Tux into a black T-shirt.

Trans-Am

You're missing my point, I had a 57RI, it was a little too heavy. And the neck was too big. I wasn't looking for a historic I wanted a more modern custom. It's a custom, not your idea of a custom, but that's okay, to each his own. I want a guitar I can play the crap out of.
A lot of guys like weight relieved bodies. We'll see, if I don't like it I'll send it back. I'm a guitar player, not a historian.

Hey i totally get the point if this reply was for me.
There are the old Customs and then the new Customs. I understand you want to be able to trash this bitchin' more modern Custom to your liking.

As it turns out? Some of the specs of the post modern...lets say the 2nd version have changed from the original 50's and so forth.
The third offerings if im not mistaken have changed from ebony to richlite boards. I am just saying is that maybe the modern atonement do favor the new board players. It's still worth to try. I just prefer the old way before the richlites came in.

You got to know even just an inkling of history to know what you favor before and after or now and then.

Been playing the shit out of this bastard lately btw! A solid shy 9.0 lbs.

IMG-20120608-00005.jpg

Peace!

kuwahara80

av.jpg

Custom Shop Chambered Reissue '57 spec...comes with me everywhere! 7lbs, 11oz of awesome rock guitar.

That`s a sweet Custom you got there!! Wich Band you are playin in? Looks like the crowd is havin fun:applaude :applaude :peace2 :peace2

Humbuck

In that pic it was Murphy's Law from NYC. That show was on a boat that circles around NY harbor...Rocks Off Cruises they're called. Best rock club currently in NYC.

Tele52

No, I totally get your point. I wrestled with that. But I'm luck enough to have an RO with Throbaks, I observe the rules on that one. But this guitar I wanted to get the John Sykes vibe, a nasty Custom for overdriven Marshalls. Some folks love richlite, I was wrong about the pickups, I thought they were the Ceramics, some Rock guys seem to really like them. We'll see, I got a great price, so I'm hoping it's a winner.

Hey i totally get the point if this reply was for me.
There are the old Customs and then the new Customs. I understand you want to be able to trash this bitchin' more modern Custom to your liking.

As it turns out? Some of the specs of the post modern...lets say the 2nd version have changed from the original 50's and so forth.
The third offerings if im not mistaken have changed from ebony to richlite boards. I am just saying is that maybe the modern atonement do favor the new board players. It's still worth to try. I just prefer the old way before the richlites came in.

You got to know even just an inkling of history to know what you favor before and after or now and then.

Been playing the shit out of this bastard lately btw! A solid shy 9.0 lbs.

IMG-20120608-00005.jpg

Peace!

Trans-Am

Good Luck brother! It is out there, and you will soon be rockin' with it.
Post us some pix when you do get 'er?
Yeah... it's all preferrence for all of us. John Sykes is a nasty SNAKE in Slide It In. My fave album Hehe!

I'm more into the easiness Dougie is doin.

Peace!

Tele52

It'll be here Tues, I love that waiting for a new guitar feeling. I'll take loads of pics. I was reading about Richlite, some people really like it. I bought a couple left over Baked Maple boards, a SG Junior, and a LP Special, I think I got both for less than a grand. Put in good pots and Lollars and I've got good working guitars. So, I don't mind trying the wierd stuff. I wouldn't want it on an R9, but for beaters, it's cool.

Tele52

AHHHHHHHH, the truck is delayed by weather. Rats, I jumped out of bed, to see a weather delay.

Tele52

It came today, very pretty, I plugged it into my Mojotone Deluxe, it sounds great. That amp makes all guitars sound great. But for now, it's fun. The 490's seem pretty hot, the Richlite board feels great, it looks like ebony. It's a darker, heavier sound than my R0, and that's what I wanted. Since I'm a Mojotone dealer, I'm going to put their hotter HB, with open black coils, rewire it, and I'll have a hard rock guitar. I'll get pics up after work.

Tele52

file://Here she is She was born 12/24/12, probably one of the last for the year. The more I play it, the more I like it. I like the pickups. Does anyone know if they used 500K pots on these? And I must admit, I like shiny guitars.
PICT0138_zps17d2abcd.jpg