LPF Homesite

Go Back   Les Paul Forum > . > Historic District
Register FAQ Mark Forums Read Calendar Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-09, 01:56 PM   #1
Base6
Les Paul Forum Member

LP Custom 1968 Custom Manhattan Midnight

Hi all,

I once owned a 2004 Gibson USA LP Standard in the limited edition color Manhattan Midnight with an ebony fingerboard. You propably now them. I sold it as I discoverd the far better better tonal qualities and playabillity of the Custom Shop models and own several of those now. However, although it is not much conservative or vintage, I still think that the Manhattan Midnight Les Paul was the most beautiful I ever saw and the ebony fingerboard also offered something special next to the rosewood fingerboard les pauls I also had.

Now I was thinking, as dealers still have chance to order a limited series of 25 pieces, how many people here would be interested here into committing to buy a Custom Shop 1968 "Historic" reissue LP Custom with bright white multi ply bindings, bright white plastic parts (PU-rings, switch washer, jack plate), no pickgaurd installed, a light weight body (no more than about 9 lbs.), nickel hardware, nickel grovers and a highly figured flame maple top in Manhattan Midnight with a transparant dark blue back color? Nothing historic about it or vintage correct, but according to Gibson, a LP Custom 1968 reissue in another finish nonetheless. Could also be an R9 in the same color BTW...

If we could gather enough people wiling to commit, we might be able to interest a dealer to order them. Who's with me?

Cheers,

Michiel

Last edited by Base6 : 11-16-09 at 02:35 PM.
Base6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-09, 08:42 PM   #2
Zoomer
All Access/Backstage Pass

Re: LP Custom 1968 Custom Manhattan Midnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Base6 View Post
Hi all,

I once owned a 2004 Gibson USA LP Standard in the limited edition color Manhattan Midnight with an ebony fingerboard. You propably now them. I sold it as I discoverd the far better better tonal qualities and playabillity of the Custom Shop models and own several of those now. However, although it is not much conservative or vintage, I still think that the Manhattan Midnight Les Paul was the most beautiful I ever saw and the ebony fingerboard also offered something special next to the rosewood fingerboard les pauls I also had.

Now I was thinking, as dealers still have chance to order a limited series of 25 pieces, how many people here would be interested here into committing to buy a Custom Shop 1968 "Historic" reissue LP Custom with bright white multi ply bindings, bright white plastic parts (PU-rings, switch washer, jack plate), no pickgaurd installed, a light weight body (no more than about 9 lbs.), nickel hardware, nickel grovers and a highly figured flame maple top in Manhattan Midnight with a transparant dark blue back color? Nothing historic about it or vintage correct, but according to Gibson, a LP Custom 1968 reissue in another finish nonetheless. Could also be an R9 in the same color BTW...

If we could gather enough people wiling to commit, we might be able to interest a dealer to order them. Who's with me?

Cheers,

Michiel
That is a cool idea but I think your better off trying to find one used - it might take some time but I think you will eventually find one. You might end up paying a dealer $5000 for it. I would love a blueburst standard - you can see I photoshoped one of my historics into blue in my sig pic. Blues are very rare for les pauls I wonder why - they look gorgeous in blue.

Zoomer

There is no such thing as too much flame !!!
Zoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-09, 09:21 PM   #3
Trans-Am
Les Paul Forum Member

...hey if auto buffs can do it?....sure as hell we can.....Group Buy???

Knowing it'll be a '68? I'd probably be interested as long as the price is just right.

Peace!!
Trans-Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-09, 09:26 PM   #4
Burrmanchu
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomer View Post
That is a cool idea but I think your better off trying to find one used - it might take some time but I think you will eventually find one. You might end up paying a dealer $5000 for it. I would love a blueburst standard - you can see I photoshoped one of my historics into blue in my sig pic. Blues are very rare for les pauls I wonder why - they look gorgeous in blue.

Zoomer
Man you just broke my heart dude! I didn't know your avatar was 'shopped I just thought you had a badass Blue Burst!
If what Base6 is talking about looks anything like that SIGN ME UP.
Old 11-16-09, 09:45 PM   #5
Zoomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrmanchu View Post
Man you just broke my heart dude! I didn't know your avatar was 'shopped I just thought you had a badass Blue Burst!
If what Base6 is talking about looks anything like that SIGN ME UP.
Well if it looks like that it's easily worth $5000

There is no such thing as too much flame !!!
Zoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-09, 10:52 PM   #6
Burrmanchu
Les Paul Forum Member

Shop'd or not that's the coolest thing I've ever seen...
It will be mine. Oh yes. It will be mine.
Old 11-17-09, 10:07 AM   #7
Base6
Les Paul Forum Member

Well, what I am up to is indeed organizing a group-buy. I have contacted two gibson dealers in the US to ask if they are willing to participate, what the costs would be, lead time and wha the terms would be. I have not been replied yet, but I don't see any reason why this couldn't work.

So we are going for a Historic series 1968 reissue Les Paul Custom in a Manahttan Midnight finish with nickel hardware (Grovers, PU's, ABR-1, Stopbar and jackplate), bright white bindings and plastic (pick-up rings, switch washer), no pickgaurd mounted, black reflector (chrome) top hats, BB1 and BB2 pick-ups, long neck tenon, non-weight relieved bodies, light weight up to 9lbs., and a highly figured maple top.

If you are interested, please e-mail me personally and I'll set things up. Do realize that signing up might mean a non-refundable downpayment with the gibson dealer that will order them might be necessary.

We need 25 people to make this happen... I am number 1. Who's next?
Old 11-17-09, 10:32 AM   #8
Base6
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomer View Post

Zoomer
Zoomer,
The thing is, they are not out there. There might be a one-off somewhere, but there is no chance you'll find it.
Old 11-17-09, 03:08 PM   #9
MeHereNow
Les Paul Forum Member

I just found one of these "not out there" Les Pauls.
It's even in the Netherlands, gozer!
Price is ok.
Go ahead, indulge yourself, another guitar is always a primary neccesity, preferably every month.
Which im still trying to explain to the misses of the house

http://www.gitaarmarkt.nl/index.php?...ails&id=116711

And a 68 Custom with those features you described would be seriously f'ing awesome!!!
Old 11-17-09, 03:59 PM   #10
Base6
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeHereNow View Post
I just found one of these "not out there" Les Pauls.
It's even in the Netherlands, gozer!
Price is ok.
Go ahead, indulge yourself, another guitar is always a primary neccesity, preferably every month.
Which im still trying to explain to the misses of the house

http://www.gitaarmarkt.nl/index.php?...ails&id=116711

And a 68 Custom with those features you described would be seriously f'ing awesome!!!
That is a Gibson USA Limited edition LP std in Pacific Reef, so still not the one I said is not out there. The whole point is having a Custom Shop, with its superior qaulity compared to Gison USA, Les Paul Custom. I don't believe the custom shop ever did guitars in Manhattan Midnight. But I'd like to be proven wrong. So I am still going with the specs mentioned.

Toch bedankt! ;-)

I am serious on trying to get this organized. So if there are more people interested, please contact me.
Old 11-18-09, 11:18 PM   #11
Base6
Les Paul Forum Member

Nobody intereted in such a guitar?

I didn't expect that...
Old 11-19-09, 02:02 AM   #12
ckiz
Les Paul Forum Member

Blue Les Pauls have never caught on. Try to name someone who plays one...

On the other hand, I love them...have two Custom Shop Class 5s in transparent blue. Stunning!
ckiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-09, 03:34 AM   #13
Base6
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckiz View Post

On the other hand, I love them...have two Custom Shop Class 5s in transparent blue. Stunning!
I saw John Fogerty plays a blue PRS Single Cut. Does that count? But if there aren't any around, chances grow pretty slim to see anybody famous play one.

But I am convinced there will be at least 24 people who like blue guitars like you and me.

Last edited by Base6 : 11-19-09 at 07:34 AM.
Old 11-19-09, 03:52 AM   #14
StSpider
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckiz View Post
Ace Frehley

There is NO substitute for Loudness.
StSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-09, 11:43 AM   #15
Burrmanchu
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Pacific Reef
Wow man, I was about to say the one he posted is a little too "Undersea green" to match the shopped one. Gibson NAILED "Pacific Reef".
Old 11-20-09, 08:23 AM   #16
GotTheSilver

Any decent pictures of a Manhattan Midnight Les Paul? The pics I am finding on the internet are all pretty crappy.
GotTheSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-09, 02:29 PM   #17
Base6
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotTheSilver View Post
Any decent pictures of a Manhattan Midnight Les Paul? The pics I am finding on the internet are all pretty crappy.
Sure! Here's my old Gibson USA Limited Edition LP Standard in manhattan midnight

Last edited by Base6 : 11-20-09 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-20-09, 02:49 PM   #18
Base6
Les Paul Forum Member

So we want to combine this

With............

Old 11-21-09, 08:45 AM   #19
nicolasrivera
Les Paul Froum Member

Quote:
Sure! Here's my old Gibson USA Limited Edition LP Standard in manhattan midnight

One of the most beautiful blues i've seen.
nicolasrivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-09, 06:43 PM   #20
LPLord
Les Paul Forum Member

Hey Base6, a '68 re-issue in blue(not necessarily ManhMidnt)would indeed
be beautiful. I have seen one auctioned on Ebay around 2005. I only saw it
after the auction was over. It was a blue flametop with black sides and back.There have been so many small runs for the '68RIs. I am contantly asking dealers if they have one in a special finish. I have seen two Customs in
a gorgeous royal blue(flametop),but they were regular,not '68RIs. I am glad
that there are some that want something other than a regular sunburst(of any shade)on an LP.
LPLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-09, 04:32 AM   #21
GotTheSilver

Quote:

Really nice looking guitar! Does the blue really fade from dark to light across the body as it appears in the pictures, or is that just the lighting? I love the blue, and I really like the '68 Reissue LPs. I'm just not in the market for another LP right now. I do have another guitar that I have been wanting to get refinished in blue, though, and this looks like a really nice color.

Good luck on getting the guitar made. I think it will look great!
John
GotTheSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-09, 04:39 AM   #22
kerryboy
Les Paul Forum Member

You can count me OUT, I couldn't think of anything worse than owning one of those.

Each to their own I suppose.
kerryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-09, 04:57 AM   #23
Base6
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Really nice looking guitar! Does the blue really fade from dark to light across the body as it appears in the pictures, or is that just the lighting? I love the blue, and I really like the '68 Reissue LPs. I'm just not in the market for another LP right now. I do have another guitar that I have been wanting to get refinished in blue, though, and this looks like a really nice color.

John
Hi John,

It really fades like that. So it is not you regular burst, but a fade from light to dark nonetheless.

So far I have nobody seriously interested. But I have a dealer who is willing to go with me. So as soon as I know more, I will post a new thread with terms (if the moderators let me) and make things more concrete. Though I have the feeling it is going to get tough.

Cheers,

Michiel
Old 11-22-09, 04:57 AM   #24
Base6
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:

John
Hi John,

It really fades like that. So it is not you regular burst, but a fade from light to dark nonetheless.

So far I have nobody seriously interested. But I have a dealer who is willing to go with me. So as soon as I know more, I will post a new thread with terms (if the moderators let me) and make things more concrete. Though I have the feeling it is going to get tough.

Cheers,

Michiel
Old 11-22-09, 04:58 AM   #25
Base6
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:

John
Hi John,

Cheers,

Michiel