Vintage Guitar Registry
LPF Homesite

Go Back   Les Paul Forum > . > Vintage 1952-1960 Les Pauls
Register FAQ Mark Forums Read Calendar Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-08, 01:15 PM   #1
sbarnes
Les Paul Forum Member

appraisals

i need an appraisal on a 56 lp special i have + a few other non lp guitars...
for insurance purposes
i know about gruhns but are there others that are viable (and maybe less expensive - $50 each - ouch)
thanks
sbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-08, 01:32 PM   #2
BillyBling
Les Paul Forum Member

Re: appraisals

I think $50 is cheap for a guitar worth more than $10k.

This message has been brought to you by the organization Billy Bling for President!

"I got your tenon right here......."

Brazilian Rosewood......Its just better.

"I don't really care because i don't have an agenda or angle I'm working to make $$$$$ so i could really give a flying fuck what anyone on the net thinks about me. It's all good."

billybillybling@yahoo.com
BillyBling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-08, 01:48 PM   #3
j45
Les Paul Forum Member

I don't know too many who would fool with an appraisal for $50 much less for any less than that. Gruhn is good to use because he appraises high, usually well over market value and recognized as "the authority" by most insurance companies and those casually aquainted with vintage. Some other dealers may be just as reliable but thier appraisals will hold little weight and some just flat out worthless when it comes to name recognition and credibility.
j45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-08, 02:53 PM   #4
zosolp
Les Paul Forum Member

gruhn has a lot of power and most people feel safer with an appraisal from him
zosolp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-08, 06:28 PM   #5
TW59
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarnes View Post
i need an appraisal on a 56 lp special i have + a few other non lp guitars...
for insurance purposes
i know about gruhns but are there others that are viable (and maybe less expensive - $50 each - ouch)
thanks
Where are you located?

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
Click here: www.burstserial.com
TW59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-08, 06:42 PM   #6
rays44
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j45 View Post
I don't know too many who would fool with an appraisal for $50 much less for any less than that. Gruhn is good to use because he appraises high, usually well over market value and recognized as "the authority" by most insurance companies and those casually aquainted with vintage. Some other dealers may be just as reliable but thier appraisals will hold little weight and some just flat out worthless when it comes to name recognition and credibility.
Generally, inflated insurance appraisals do not serve the insured. You can have a '58 Jr. appraised at 50k, but if it's a replacement policy, the insurance is only obliged to replace with like kind and quality. It gets dicey here with vintage guitars, but if they can replace the guitar at a cost to them at 10k, then that's what it will be even if you decide to cash out. If it's an "agreed value" policy, there is no replacement. They just cash out the insured at the agreed (insured ) value. But now, since their ass is on the line for the entire amount, you can bet they'll be damn sure the value isn't inflated.

Last edited by rays44 : 06-05-08 at 09:11 PM.
rays44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-08, 09:31 PM   #7
barneybarnes
Les Paul Forum Member

I agree: I have delt with many insurance claims even on appraisals thay I have done as a Vintage Guitar Magazine Price Guide Participant. The insurance companies are not dumb. As long as all of the issues are addressed in an appraisal the insurance companies will try to replace the instrument with one with the same value. The insurance companies have more concerns on other not so cataloged collectible items .

Bruce Barnes
Vintage Guitar Price Guide Participant
barneybarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-08, 11:58 PM   #8
BurstMeUp
Les Paul Forum Member

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE OF APPRAISALS ...

BurstMeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 02:56 AM   #9
fretwire
Les Paul Forum Member

Damn, he's done bumped his price $15.00 since my last appraisal and I have documentation ready for another that's been laying on my bench since last year. This is what happens when one procrastinates!

"Real amps glow in the dark."
fretwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 06:31 AM   #10
ES Blonde
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretwire View Post
Damn, he's done bumped his price $15.00 since my last appraisal and I have documentation ready for another that's been laying on my bench since last year. This is what happens when one procrastinates!
I never got around to procrastinating!
ES Blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 07:42 AM   #11
53Goldtop
Les Paul Forum Member

Just for an experiment, I sent out pics of a very rare guitar I owned to several appraisal experts, a Gibson, but not a Les Paul. The results were, as they say, very surprising and telling. What it told me was this - rely on myself!
53Goldtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 09:47 AM   #12
rays44
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Goldtop View Post
Just for an experiment, I sent out pics of a very rare guitar I owned to several appraisal experts, a Gibson, but not a Les Paul. The results were, as they say, very surprising and telling. What it told me was this - rely on myself!
I don't believe it's possible to do an accurate appraisal on a vintage guitar based on photographs. If it is done, this fact needs to be mentioned as a "limiting condition" in the appraisal.
It's not suprising at all to find appraisals that vary like mad because there isn't a standard that has to be met (in many businesses). As a result, anyone can perform the (dis)service of writing an appraisal and often times it's not worth the paper it's written on. You wouldn't believe what I see in my business.
rays44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 11:26 AM   #13
sbarnes
Les Paul Forum Member

thanks for all the replies.....looks like gruhns it is....i'm only about 1 1/2 hr away from there....$50 might be reasonable but i've got about 6 that i need appraised...and the sudden increase to $50 threw me....
thanks
sbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 03:10 PM   #14
AtomEve
Les Paul Forum Member

Insurance companies will insure for either the value YOU place on the guitar or a replacement value.

It depends on the company and what you want.

Shop around.
AtomEve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-08, 04:44 AM   #15
bgwicks
Les Paul Forum Member

Gruhn is now apprasing much closer to market. I know he uses ebay a lot to look at prices.

Also if you have six or so guitars, he will probably do a deal. He did 6 for me and charged for 5.
bgwicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-08, 04:06 PM   #16
DrRobert
Les Paul Forum Member

It depends on who you're insuring with. The home insurance companies, it tends to be a bit of a crap-shoot. They're supposed to replace with a like quality item, or pay the going rate. But right now, just about any guitar you name (including bursts) has seen at least one example sell for way under market, and a savvy insurance company could jump on that to torpedo your claim. Heritage, on the other hand, is pretty good about relying on experts that they trust (so, for example, if Dave's Guitars or Ganzler signs off on the value, that's what they'll pay). I don't know how they feel about Gruhn's, I've had troubles trusting him since he (or at least his shop) did such a hatchet job of describing my 58 Custom. Still, for a straight forward guitar with an established market, he'll do fine. If you know another reputable vintage dealer, you might ask them if they'd do an appraisal...
DrRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-08, 01:55 AM   #17
53Goldtop
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j45 View Post
Not so much in my view! Use TW - he knows wassup!
Old 06-10-08, 10:46 AM   #18
TW59
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Goldtop View Post
Not so much in my view! Use TW - he knows wassup!
Thanks, but I am not looking to do appraisals. I do them occasionally on a local basis [and always with the guitar in hand] but I don't want to take them on as a business practice. Others are wanting that business. I am not.
I will, however, be glad to look at guitars in my shop, and if possible, I will give free advice and "verbal appraisals".

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
Click here: www.burstserial.com
TW59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-08, 12:56 PM   #19
53Goldtop
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TW59 View Post
Thanks, but I am not looking to do appraisals. I do them occasionally on a local basis [and always with the guitar in hand] but I don't want to take them on as a business practice. Others are wanting that business. I am not.
I will, however, be glad to look at guitars in my shop, and if possible, I will give free advice and "verbal appraisals".
Me neither!!!