Vintage Guitar Registry
LPF Homesite

Go Back   Les Paul Forum > . > Sunburst Pub
Register FAQ Mark Forums Read Calendar Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-08, 09:34 AM   #1
jeffc
Les Paul Forum Member

Studio gem series

Anyone has kept a picture from Gibson showing all 4/5 finishes of the LES PAUL STUDIO GEM SERIES ?

If not, please post pics of your Gem studio !
jeffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-08, 10:28 AM   #2
pit_s_xroad
Les Paul Forum Member

Re: Studio gem series

I used to own this emerald green one...

I am left with these two crappy pics of it... unfortunately...

...has been nice guitar with quite a fat neck...

for my R9 it had go...

PIT...
pit_s_xroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-08, 10:58 AM   #3
Dr. Vintage
Les Paul Forum Member

I had a '96 in Topaz. I put in some more modern 500k pots and a pair of Duncan P90s and gigged that sucker for several years. Those mid-'90s Les Pauls were some damn-good guitars. Mine had a really nice neck - very comfortable. Sometimes I regret selling it, but I don't gig these days so I'm gradually thinning the old herd... but these are good guitars, and I wouldn't necessarily be beyond picking up another some day in the future if a killer deal crossed my path...

"Get to work!" Tommy Emmanuel
Dr. Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-08, 01:33 PM   #4
jubelo
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit_s_xroad View Post
I used to own this emerald green one...

I am left with these two crappy pics of it... unfortunately...

...has been nice guitar with quite a fat neck...

for my R9 it had go...

PIT...
What a good looking guitar!
I love that color.
jubelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-08, 01:52 PM   #5
Daan

yessir I can Boogie!

Daan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-08, 02:45 PM   #6
les strat
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daan View Post
yessir I can Boogie!

Looks great without the guard!
Old 06-08-08, 04:33 PM   #7
jeffc
Les Paul Forum Member

I'm buying one tomorrow
Old 06-08-08, 04:44 PM   #8
hutman777
Les Paul Forum Member

yo iam 53yr.s young , when i wuzz 17 i worked at a real ''gas-station'' the wrench's that worked there all in there 20's rode 1200 shovel-heads harley's so instead of buyin sum piece of shit 750 Honda for a forth of the price i went about mowin yards pumpin gas an asked every question i could about learnin about what i could afford .. U wat a LP just do it , sumtimes a Man has to hide sum money , nuttin wrong there ya just got to play it cool ... had my 67 el.glide for 26yrs. then i traded it up for a 55panhead the year Mom let me lose... know FIND YOUR LP $$$$$$$$$$
hutman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-08, 05:09 PM   #9
jeffc
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutman777 View Post
yo iam 53yr.s young , when i wuzz 17 i worked at a real ''gas-station'' the wrench's that worked there all in there 20's rode 1200 shovel-heads harley's so instead of buyin sum piece of shit 750 Honda for a forth of the price i went about mowin yards pumpin gas an asked every question i could about learnin about what i could afford .. U wat a LP just do it , sumtimes a Man has to hide sum money , nuttin wrong there ya just got to play it cool ... had my 67 el.glide for 26yrs. then i traded it up for a 55panhead the year Mom let me lose... know FIND YOUR LP $$$$$$$$$$

Anything wrong with my choice ?
Old 06-08-08, 05:57 PM   #10
abstract
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutman777 View Post

Drunk posting is like drunk dialing.

Usually a bad idea.

abstract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-08, 07:01 PM   #11
les strat
Les Paul Forum Member

I like Hondas.

Old 06-08-08, 07:15 PM   #12
Ad_02Std
Les Paul Forum Member

Always wanted one of these since I saw a new one in my local music shop. Never seen another one in person. Would love an emerald or saphire one. Have a black '97 Studio and that's a great guitar, just something very right about it. Am looking for a P-90 Gibson at the moment, and if I see one of these it may be coming home with me. If I ever see another one.
Ad_02Std is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-08, 08:17 PM   #13
reverbbb
Les Paul Forum Member

I sold this guitar a while back (sacrificed for an R9 that I couldn't afford, but bought any way). I sure miss the way it looked and sounded. But I don't miss the playing action so much. I am spoiled to my R8 & R9 guitars. They really feel right for me.

I come here to reflect a little.

Buffalo Blues Band
reverbbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-08, 09:27 PM   #14
Schtang
Les Paul Forum Member

I own quite a few Les Pauls Standard, Classics etc - and unlike a lot of people who have posted I still have my Gem - everyone should have at least one P-90 guitar and this is the only one I own.. They are a great sounding guitar - big neck though not as nice as the 60's neck of my Standard, Classic and SG, on saying that it does have a beautiful action and fretboard. I have never played a regular studio with humbuckers as the appealing thing with the gem was the P-90s.

Last edited by Schtang : 06-12-08 at 04:26 PM.
Schtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-08, 10:39 PM   #15
taftmcintosh
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverbbb View Post
I sold this guitar a while back (sacrificed for an R9 that I couldn't afford, but bought any way). I sure miss the way it looked and sounded. But I don't miss the playing action so much. I am spoiled to my R8 & R9 guitars. They really feel right for me.

Its a beautiful guitar, but i can see the action in the photos, it looks insanely high, like a good half inch.
taftmcintosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-08, 11:32 PM   #16
Schtang
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taftmcintosh View Post
Its a beautiful guitar, but i can see the action in the photos, it looks insanely high, like a good half inch.
Don't worry about that action - Like any good guitar it can be adjusted. Who knows maybe he has set it up for slide, or maybe it is just the angle of the photo that makes it look a little high.
Old 06-09-08, 02:21 AM   #17
pit_s_xroad
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubelo View Post
What a good looking guitar!
I love that color.
yeah... if I wouldnt have wanted my R9 it'll be still in my house... it played like butter, perfect action, everything...

btw:
it had some kind of story connected to it... it was brought by some strange guy to my friend's guitar-shop for selling. My friend got told that the guitar actually belongs to another guy who didnt pay the rent for the rehearsal room for quite a few months. So he simply grabbed this guitar and other stuff out of the cellar to sell it and to get his money. Well, I was ready to buy it, when the police showed up asking my friend to hand over this guitar. The owner in the meantime has sued the other guy ripping him off. The guitar ended up in the archives of the police for another year or so until all law-things are settled. Then all of a sudden obviously all things have been sorted out and it was brought back to my friend's shop, who was kinda happy, since he already had paid the money to the "ripper" and was afraid having paid money and ending up with no guitar... he was a very small store, so it hurt his finances notable. Now I bought it...

PIT...

Last edited by pit_s_xroad : 06-09-08 at 02:35 AM.
Old 06-09-08, 04:03 AM   #18
L"G" King
Les Paul Forum Member

Studio/54 Conversion...This is a well-played '96 that I gold-topped, added binding, SD Vintage P-90's, and a Gotoh aluminium stop tail to. Love the chuncky necks on these. One of my favorite guitars to play.

Last edited by L"G" King : 06-09-08 at 05:04 AM.
L"G" King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-08, 04:57 AM   #19
Daan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L"G" King View Post
Studio/54 Conversion...This is a well-played '96 that I gold-topped, added binding, SD Vintage P-90's, and a Gotoh aluminium stop tale to. Love the chuncky necks on these. One of my favorite guitars to play.

wheuw this originally was a GEM? Where can I add binding? :P It looks killer!
Old 06-09-08, 05:09 AM   #20
reverbbb
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
The high action was not what bothered me. The tuning keys were yuk. That guitar would not stay in tune for six bars of a song it seemed. I have better tuners, but I never installed them because they were not gold plated. I think that if I had swapped out tuners (and I had not bought the R9), then I would still have that guitar. Blue is my favorite color. I have 8 other blue guitars. This one fit in very nicely.

As far as the action goes, I have a PRS that has the lowest action of any guitar that I have ever owned. Even my '75 LP Custom was low, but the PRS takes the cake. No buzz at all. But I dislike buzz and fret out in a big way. So I don't mind having high action. However, the picture is deceiving. There is no way the action was a 1/2 inch. It was more like 1/8 inch - which is still substantially high for most folks.

Buffalo Blues Band
Old 06-09-08, 08:16 AM   #21
tele00
Les Paul Forum Member

My Topaz

http://members.aol.com/Telecaster00/Fralins.jpg
Old 06-09-08, 08:32 AM   #22
sickboy79
Les Paul Forum Member

Fantastic guitars! 96 Sapphire here!

"Derelict rebel without a cause"

Last edited by sickboy79 : 06-09-08 at 03:23 PM.
sickboy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-08, 10:52 AM   #23
jeffc
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad_02Std View Post
Am looking for a P-90 Gibson at the moment, and if I see one of these it may be coming home with me. If I ever see another one.

Like this one ?

Old 06-09-08, 02:34 PM   #24
Indiana Erick
Les Paul Forum Member

The UV finish is what bothers me, other than that it's a Les Paul!
Indiana Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-08, 04:18 PM   #25
Daan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Erick View Post
The UV finish is what bothers me, other than that it's a Les Paul!
UV finish? What's that?
Old 06-09-08, 07:31 PM   #26
taftmcintosh
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverbbb View Post
The high action was not what bothered me. The tuning keys were yuk. That guitar would not stay in tune for six bars of a song it seemed. I have better tuners, but I never installed them because they were not gold plated. I think that if I had swapped out tuners (and I had not bought the R9), then I would still have that guitar. Blue is my favorite color. I have 8 other blue guitars. This one fit in very nicely.

As far as the action goes, I have a PRS that has the lowest action of any guitar that I have ever owned. Even my '75 LP Custom was low, but the PRS takes the cake. No buzz at all. But I dislike buzz and fret out in a big way. So I don't mind having high action. However, the picture is deceiving. There is no way the action was a 1/2 inch. It was more like 1/8 inch - which is still substantially high for most folks.
You were saying in your post that you didnt miss the playing action all that much. Pictures of a players action can definitely be deceiving, i actually play with high action myself on several of my guitars.
taftmcintosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-08, 07:37 PM   #27
L"G" King
Les Paul Forum Member

I have noticed that my headstock (pitch) angle is definately steeper than my '85 LPC. If the LPC is 14 degrees, the GEM is 15 or more (don't know how to acurately measure)...anybody else notice this on their GEM's...?
Old 06-09-08, 07:40 PM   #28
L"G" King
Les Paul Forum Member

double post...
Old 06-09-08, 07:52 PM   #29
reverbbb
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
You were saying in your post that you didnt miss the playing action all that much. Pictures of a players action can definitely be deceiving, i actually play with high action myself on several of my guitars.
Yeah, you are right. I am typing from both sides of my mouth.

I guess in my first post I meant "playing action" to mean playing time or just time in my hands. The neck felt good, the frets were fairly large for a LP (which I like) and the action (height) was about where I liked it, though I could get along with lower action and no buzz. But the number one problem was the tuners. The loose tuning caused me to avoid that guitar. Hence, it got less playing 'action' (time).

Buffalo Blues Band
Old 06-09-08, 08:15 PM   #30
jubelo
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit_s_xroad View Post
yeah... if I wouldnt have wanted my R9 it'll be still in my house... it played like butter, perfect action, everything...

btw:
it had some kind of story connected to it... it was brought by some strange guy to my friend's guitar-shop for selling. My friend got told that the guitar actually belongs to another guy who didnt pay the rent for the rehearsal room for quite a few months. So he simply grabbed this guitar and other stuff out of the cellar to sell it and to get his money. Well, I was ready to buy it, when the police showed up asking my friend to hand over this guitar. The owner in the meantime has sued the other guy ripping him off. The guitar ended up in the archives of the police for another year or so until all law-things are settled. Then all of a sudden obviously all things have been sorted out and it was brought back to my friend's shop, who was kinda happy, since he already had paid the money to the "ripper" and was afraid having paid money and ending up with no guitar... he was a very small store, so it hurt his finances notable. Now I bought it...

PIT...
Wow, that was quite the story.
I'll bet that guitar had some great mojo.
I would have done almost everything just to keep that Lovely Gem LP.
jubelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-08, 01:16 PM   #31
777Brad
Les Paul Forum Member

Is Amethyst kind of purple?
Old 06-10-08, 03:06 PM   #32
Dino_k
Les Paul Forum Member

It's VERY purple. I had an Amethyst and I loved the way it looked and sounded - the Purple Paul of Power!!! Definitely a big fat honk tone. But unlike what I'm seeing here, to me the neck was too thin. Broke my heart to sell it, but my stubby little sausages couldn't fit on the fingerboard. These are, by far one of the best (and least known) deals on a great LP!
Dino_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-08, 05:13 PM   #33
jeffc
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino_k View Post
It's VERY purple. I had an Amethyst and I loved the way it looked and sounded - the Purple Paul of Power!!! Definitely a big fat honk tone. But unlike what I'm seeing here, to me the neck was too thin. Broke my heart to sell it, but my stubby little sausages couldn't fit on the fingerboard. These are, by far one of the best (and least known) deals on a great LP!

Do you have PICS ?
Old 06-11-08, 12:15 AM   #34
Schtang
Les Paul Forum Member

If you ever come across a Gem - do not hesitate and buy it.
Old 06-11-08, 04:08 AM   #35
pit_s_xroad
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubelo View Post
Wow, that was quite the story.
I'll bet that guitar had some great mojo.
I would have done almost everything just to keep that Lovely Gem LP.

yeah it had... but if you can't have both (R9 and GEM) a decision had
to be made... I wanted the R9 desperately so I did almost eveything to
get the R9...

PIT...
Old 06-11-08, 04:21 AM   #36
jeffc
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtang View Post
If you ever come across a Gem - do not hesitate and buy it.
Did that Yesterday !
Old 06-11-08, 05:58 AM   #37
pit_s_xroad
Les Paul Forum Member

... congrats.... is it the one you showed above?...

PIT
Old 06-11-08, 03:42 PM   #38
jeffc
Les Paul Forum Member

YES!
Old 06-11-08, 05:57 PM   #39
Schtang
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
Did that Yesterday !
well done - They just sound better as they age, a very sweet guitar. Now don't be tempted to sell that for a 56 re-issue with P-90s or deluxe - not worth it - the gem is the equal if not better than the R6 and deluxe.
Old 06-11-08, 06:15 PM   #40
jeffc
Les Paul Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtang View Post
well done - They just sound better as they age, a very sweet guitar. Now don't be tempted to sell that for a 56 re-issue with P-90s or deluxe - not worth it - the gem is the equal if not better than the R6 and deluxe.
Great then ! Of course I considered a 56 ri, but for half the price, I've read that this was a great bang for the buck.

I was on the verge of buying a blue Firebird VII, but the dealer was asking more then I was willing to pay. So no deal.

Why( ) at this moment I thought to myself, maybe I should try to find one of these GEM 'Ive read about 2 years ago . In the past I was never able to find...Everytime I tried to find one, there was none available. I eventualy stopped looking for one.

This time I took 2 clicks ;

First stop GBASE. Nothing there. Second stop Gruhn ; Bingo !

Considering how rare these are, I thought That it was a sign ( ), I had to buy it.

Can't wait to get it home