• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

35th Anniversary Les Paul Custom 3-pickup Black Beauty <m>

Bob Simpson

I've come into a Les Paul Custom 3-pickup Black Beauty with gold hardware . The pearl on the headstock is engraved 35 anniversary ( maybe inked... hard to tell ).

It appears to be in good shape, finish is for the most part beautiful, though it has a small finish crack running from the switch toward the tail for about 1.25" or so. Too narrow to put a .009 string into. It appears to have a maple top, although I thought these should be mahogany on mahogany. I think everything is original.

I'm having trouble finding out much about this particular model. I've googled around some, but not much info. I'm curious about where and how many were made, and roughly what it may be worth.

Serial number is gold ink 9 0230. Can someone here tell me about this model, or point me in the right direction to look?

TIA

Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

Thanks for the link.
Not much info is right.
I think that one had the least info on the page...

Was this an undesirable model?
Bad period in the life of Gibson, or Les, or both?
Was it custom shop, or pre custom shop, or what?

Collectable because of the anniversary, or should I dump it?
I mean, it plays well. I'm not really at ease with the third pickup yet...

Bob Simpson