• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Calling all 1968 / 1969 Les Paul Owners.

tomkatf

Hi MW,

Tried to sent you an email at the above address a few days back but not sure if it made it through...!?!? Could you let me know?

Thanks,
Tom

moonweasel

Tom,

So sorry I missed that, I just found it, I'll get back to you tonight. Thanks for writing.

jimmi

Here is a wild one for you. My friend from Nashville owns this one. Was originally purchased in late '69 by his father and was painted while he was playing in bands in the South East. The bridge was replaced with the gold Nashville bridge in the late 70s (common to replace hardware with gold back then). His father has 10 or so gold and platinum records with Alabama and Gerorge Strait.

8517884360_f05822f241.jpg

moonweasel

Wild! I love it. That's back when they were tools, and you did want you wanted to them. Made it your own.

Snappy Joe

GT
small headstock w i dot logo
1 pc neck (3 pc peg head)
1 pc body
center seam ? It's a GT (does show flames in the rub off area)
P 90
Long tenon
pot # 1376850 (cavity shows maple cap)
Under the hood conversion to a master volume function using the tone pot of the bridge PU

Is there a way to find out if there are flames under the GT finish without sanding etc.? I wonder if s.o. has developed some spooky science to x ray or whatever...

moonweasel

Snappy,

Killer guitar! Try looking in the control cavity. As there is probably Gold paint in the pick up cavities, so the control cavity is probably your best bet.

Snappy Joe

Snappy,

Killer guitar! Try looking in the control cavity. As there is probably Gold paint in the pick up cavities, so the control cavity is probably your best bet.

Thanx man, I'll check tht up as soon as I'm back in town next week or so. I was young and stupid when I bought this plank. Did some weird things w. it you may call crime but in the end I fortunately could resist sanding it. Always feared to sand the orig. top off only to find out that there wasn't a center seam, nor a consistency of flame. I'll be back reporting more details and also post pics. I wonder why most didn't post pics of their gold. Is there an other seperate thread where you guys post your GTs?

moonweasel

You are welcome to start your own thread to show off your guitar.

I'm glad you didn't sand it! Takes half the value off the guitar. :)

Snappy Joe

Thanks, I will do. I'm still away from my pics and stuff. Found an other pic though. My old friend that has been at my side since 35 years. It didn't get much playing time since I've been fiddeling almost exclusively w. my Stratocaster and Telecaster guitars for over 25+ years. But unlike w. my beloved Telecaster this LP won't never miss a note that I'm playing. No E strings slipping off the fret board edge. Instead tons of headroom and bunker breaking power. And NO, 100 Watts are not to much if you love to add clean fingerpickin' to your style. The amp is an unmolested 1969 Super Bass 100 w. correct cab. and orig. greenbacks inside.

20683_4017230590382_816915809_n.jpg

Snappy Joe

....... The amp is an unmolested 1969 Super Bass 100 w. correct cab. and orig. greenbacks inside.

Ouups, I'm not sure if the cab. is a year correct match. I bought the rig as is and always felt that it was a perfect match tone wise. Dunno if it is a later year since the script is larger,....I'm no Marshall expert.

guitplayer

Searching for shipping dates of LSLP I found this pic.
Jeffs GT is not factory HB equipped.

Wilko - Jeff Carlisi of .38 Special has a 1968 Goldtop that he claims came with factory original humbuckers. What are the odds, or is this just an early conversion and a story he was told?

Behind Johnny A in this pic:
3293_p43480.jpeg

68LP

Hi Guys
This is my first post in a while. I would like to update some info on my Les Paul. I posted the first four pictures below on this thread of my refinished alleged 68 Les Paul back in 2005 almost 10 years to the day. I say alleged because at the time, I was confused about whether my guitar was a 68 or a 69. As it's been refinished and modified, I'm still a little unsure. It has a small headstock with missing serial number, no volute, a long neck tenon, one piece body, the Gibson logo has a dot with an open b and o. All the specs suggested it was a 68, except it looks like it has 3 piece neck. Because it looks like it has a 3 piece neck, and the truss rod cover appears to in the wrong spot for a 68, some people thought it may have had a reshaped headstock. Therefore it should be a 69. I assume the truss rod cover may have been moved to make it look more like a 58/59 style. I still have the receipt I got when I bought it in 1994 which says Gibson Les Paul 68 Goldtop restored as 58 Sunburst. The serial number written on the receipt begins with 976. It's also written in the control cavity, but the pots and wiring cover it up. I assume whoever did the refinish or veneer may have written it there.

A few years ago I discussed the 3 piece neck anomaly with a repairer when getting my guitar serviced and he said it looks like the guitar has a one piece neck with a veneer that runs the length of the neck from the top of the headstock to the heel. Because when you look at the top of the headstock, the neck looks one piece, except for the wings. He assumes this was done to conceal a crack in the neck at some stage. I'm not sure why I never looked at the top of the headstock, but I didn't. (pics below)

A couple of days ago I was looking at late sixties les paul website, I noticed the control cavity picture comparison. I never checked mine the last time I posted back in 2005. I opened up my control cavity to have a look and its also 68 shape. (pic below)

The first four photos I took in 2005. The bottom five photos I took today. In those you can see the middle piece on the back of the neck doesn't match the top of the headstock. I really think this is a one piece neck as you can see in the photos. So this might be a 68 after all. What do you guys think?

DSC00177.jpg

DSC00174.jpg

DSC00185.jpg

DSC00184.jpg

Today

Progrocker111

Interesting, cause i have always thought that 3 piece neck would be with transitional tenon. Here we have long tenon. :hmm

valcotone

Interesting indeed.... I have two late 69's with three-piece necks, and the middle veneer/piece is narrower than in your example above... and since it's not visible at the top of the headstock, I'd suggest it's not factory Gibson work... or at least not during regular production. Can you confirm it is actually wood, or could it just be painted on?