• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

What are the differences between the TS808 and TS9 pedals?

ashbass

Other than looks, difference between the reissued TS808 and TS9 is that the TS808 has a JRC4558 chip in it that Ibanez says has been hand tested against specs they'e collected on vintage TS808 chips. This hand testing is supposedly why they are so expensive. Further, there are two resistors that are different. The TS808 resistor values were supposedly better suited to drive tube amps and the TS9 resistors were changed to better accommodate solid state amps.

Some thoughts on mods...
I mod these pedals a lot. I buy them used on ebay, mod them up, and resell. Not a buisiness, but the family gets a movie every now and then.

There are six common mods that you'll find.
1) 808 specs (chip and resistors)
2) super quality components
3) less drive available
4) more drive available
5) more bass response
6) brown mod

The 808 specs mod will turn a TS9 into a TS808 as far as coponents are concerned. Put a JRC chip in in place of the stock one and change two resistors. However, I've ABed multiple modded TS9s against reissue 808s and the 808s usually (not always) still sound better. I do believe the "hand selected" chip thing. I also believe that they hand select certain resistors for specific values, see brown mod below.

Keeley is known for the super quality comonent replacement mods. I've had some of his pedals and personally like the gritty sound of low-fi components for overdrive or distortion. The hi-fi felt and sounded sterile to me. JMO.

The less drive mod is my favorite. This works on both models equally well. When drive is on zero, there is still too much distortion for my taste. I like to just barely hear some grit when playing hard and be pretty much clean otherwise. When I want heavy distortion, I use another pedal. By changing one resistor the Drive control does what it should do in my opinion. It puts the amount of drive at zero when the Drive knob is at zero.

More drive. I don't use this in my personal pedals as I don't ever take Drive over 3 or 4. It pretty much doubles the amount of distortion the pedals put out. If Drive on 10 put out 10lbs of distortion before the mod, after the mod it puts out 20lbs. If this mod is used with the less drive mod, Drive on zero will again put out noticible distortion.

The more bass mod changes one capacitor to allow more of the guitar's bass signal through the pedal. It doesn't boost bass or anything like that. It just opens a door that the original circuit keeps practically closed. This one really helps to fatten up the typically thin TS sound.

The brown mod is probably the most mystical. I believe that Analogman came up with this one. It involves changing 5 resistors in the circuit from carbon film to carbon composition. Most sellers hawking the 'brown mod' only use two carbon comp resistors ala the 808 specs mod so watch out. The use of these 'vintage style' resistors is said to produce a warmer, or brown, tone from the pedals. Carbon composition resistors are harder do find (no Radio Shack) as they are pretty much not used anymore in production electronics. Here too, I've ABed back and forth again and again with stock, modded, brown, etc. 808s and TS9s. The brown mod does make a pleasant difference in tone.

I read somewhere a document by Keeley discounting the use of carbon comp resistors because they are not stable. They drift in value over time so that what was once a 1k value resistor may later be a 1.5k resistor. Keeley, as seen above, is big on high fidelity and thus having his pedals all sound the same. The carbon comp thing introduces an uncontrollable variance in the TS circuit and sound.

I exerperimented a few months ago with 5 or 6 reissue 808s that I had. The stock resistors were all the commonly available carbon film, not carbon composition. What I discovered was that the resistors usually replaced during the brown mod were all above spec. for what value they should have been. Above spec for carbon composition resistors is way common. But above spec for carbon film resistors is not common at all.

So my assumption is that the very drift which Keeley denounces is what makes Analogman's brown mod work. The carbon comp resistors drift above spec to similar values as I found in the TS808 stock resistors. The brown mod resistors and Ibanez's own stock resisotors seem to say that higher value resistors in several key locations appear to make a good difference in tone for these pedals.

As with the IC chips mentioned above, the resistors in the stock TS808 reissues are most likely hand separated from other resistors of lesser, or correct, value.

Last edited:

frisco

Formerly greeny
To me TS-10s work best with humbuckers and TS9s with singlecoils.
TS-10s made in Japan come with the famous chip "JCR something" and sound very good.

adamzapple

Trying to stay on-topic but . . .

I was torn between an TS808 reissue and a Fulltone Fulldrive2 some months ago. I put the question to this forum and got some great responses. If you're interested, do a search on "That Old Question -- TS808 Reissue or Fulldrive 2." Based on those responses, I bought the Fulldrive2 and am very happy with it. I use the Dunlop 18v AC adapter with it that some say improves the tone.

I found Surfreak's comments on the Klon interesting. I'm wait-listed for a Klon. Bill should be ready to build mine in a couple of weeks. Emotions seem to run very hot and cold on Klons. I'm going to reserve judgement till mine shows up on the front door.

Adam

surfreak

adamzapple said:
Trying to stay on-topic but . . .

I was torn between an TS808 reissue and a Fulltone Fulldrive2 some months ago. I put the question to this forum and got some great responses. If you're interested, do a search on "That Old Question -- TS808 Reissue or Fulldrive 2." Based on those responses, I bought the Fulldrive2 and am very happy with it. I use the Dunlop 18v AC adapter with it that some say improves the tone.

I found Surfreak's comments on the Klon interesting. I'm wait-listed for a Klon. Bill should be ready to build mine in a couple of weeks. Emotions seem to run very hot and cold on Klons. I'm going to reserve judgement till mine shows up on the front door.

Adam
...and believe me, I wanted to like my Klon so bad.

Practicing alone, it does add some nice fatness, without changing your basic tone, but there again, there are countless, cheaper pedals, which do exactly the same.
As a matter of fact, if all you need is a clean boost, then such simple circuit as the Klon may not even be the most suitable design.

To date, in my opinion, the very best sounding clean boost I've heard is the ART Tube MP, a 12AX7 based box designed as a tube mic preamp and compressor. It costs $ 70 new, as far as I know.

In a band situation, the Klon simply tanked. All the nuances are lost. Unless you work with a pro sound tech, the klon "fatness" will be drowned by your bass player and bass drum.
If you play in a band, that ugly upper-mids bump that sounds so shrill when you play in your bedroom is what saves you, and makes your solos cut through the mix without killing the song, volume wise.

spidey

I used to play through a 1959slp with a lester. I own a TS-10 Classic and a Marshall BluesbreakerII.
I prefered the Marshall pedal. The tubscreamer sucked my bottom end. The Marshall has 2 modes - an overdrive and a clean boost. The overdrive is very good and allows you to'marshallize' non-Marshall amps, The clean boost allows you to drive the front end of your amp harder and therefore get a bit more 'go' out of the amp.
Sorry for being slightly off your question but thought this info may be of help bearing in mind what you are trying to acheive.

frisco

Formerly greeny
i haven't tried Ts pedals in Marshalls but my guess is that they work better with fender type of amps so that's why you didn't like your TS10 with a marshall Spidey. I use mine with my 69 vibrolux and they work nicely although i have to change settings in the pedal while using fender or gibson guitars.

Some day i will like to check out those TS808 RI

Jignant

I have been considering a tube screamer for my setup to give me some boost while soloing. Is this what they are primarily used for? I have been trying to get away from a volume pedal and concentrate on using the guitar's volume to boost for a solo. Sometimes my amp volume is not set high enough to cut thru and obviously I can not adjust the amp mid solo. Our mix is controlled by the band most times so a soundman making an adjustment for me is not an option. Is it correct to assume that a TS will give me a jump in volume as well as overdrive? Will it play nice with a DSL50? Thanks. I'm not nearly as technical as some here...I plug n play. Great info in this post!!!

:dude

bluesjuke

surfreak said:
To date, in my opinion, the very best sounding clean boost I've heard is the ART Tube MP, a 12AX7 based box designed as a tube mic preamp and compressor. It costs $ 70 new, as far as I know.

Why don't more people use a good quality tube preamp instead of chasing pedals to the ends of the earth. Almost all overdrive pedals try to emulate a sound that was made by an amp.
If a tube amp made those sounds why let it do it again instead of trying to emulate it with a solid state circuit?

Sure pedals are cool but this solution would address many tastes & variations including a damn good clean boost. I know I do it all the time.

gibson slave

Wow, I had to be gone for a few days and came back and saw this thread was still alive.

More great info. Thanks Ashbass for your assesment. Ive seen some with good mods like metal jacks, heavy duty switches with true bypass etc. The heavy duty upgrades with the true brown mod sound like what I would be interested in.

I may hold off and try and find a Timmy OD to try before commiting to a TS though.

Thanks everyone for your comments, they're much appreciated.

Smitty

hgus

About the TS9 et al read the excellent article by "Stinkfoot", http://members.chello.se/pastorn/fx/mods/ts9.htm also read some other stuff: http://members.chello.se/pastorn/

I would personally buy (another, I have one and like it for what it does) Boss sd-1 and mod it to a TS-9/808. Very similar, and much cheaper. I have some plans for my sd-1, especially reducing the gain and trying chips, I have a bunch of JRC4558 and some others to try.

About the Klon, the reality is that magic in electronics is not about finding just the right expensive components, but about using just the right ones. A JRC4558 op amp is normally something like $0.50, resistors and small caps are very cheap. The only really costly components for a pedal is the switch and the box, unless it uses something rare like a BBD chip for an analog delay, those are expensive. The amount of time passed on making just the right circuit can be more or less infinite, and making a layout for a circuit can be just as time consuming. And while a large producer like Boos or Ibanez can put out pedals very cheaply, for an individual it is much more expensive and very labor intensive. The above mentioned Stinkfoot for example stopped making original designs because he found it didn't pay off, and nowadays only mods pedals.

Just my $0.50. Now go buy a reissue JRC4558. ;)

P.Walker

I have owned 2 original TS808, a stock TS9 and now a TS808 reissue.
I sold the originals for a fairly obscene amount of money (one was a player, the other one, a backup, was basically mint), and I have A/B'd the TS9 and the TS808 reissue for about a month before selling the TS9.

My personal conclusions were:

1. The TS808 reissue sounds exactly like the originals. I am sorry for analogmike and all the other fine builders who base part of their business on modding pedals to TS808 specs, but honestly, tone-wise, they sound the same.
Overdrive pedals are built with cheap, easy to find components,and they don't "age". They have about as much "mojo" as a Kmart transistor radio.

The hype about "vintage" pedals to me is simpy ridiculous, when they can be easily replicated by any hobbyist electrician with a basement.

2. If you need a fairly natural sounding overdrive, to push your amp rather than add its own distortion, the TS808 sounds better than the TS9. The overdrive is smoother, with a "finer grain" than the TS9, and it doesn't color your tone as much.
Comparing the two with a parallel effect loop into the amp, the TS9 shows a pronounced mid-high bump, has a little more gain, and less bottom end.

3. In my typical band situation, i.e. casual low profile gigging, some weekday rehearsals etc., the TS9 is probably more suitable, as it helps your tone cut through the mix better.
In a bedroom situation, or for people who have or claim to have finer ears, the TS808 sounds better, as it brings out the "wood" in your tone.

4. The stereotype TS808 --> Strat --> SRV is cliche and very limiting. I personally like my TS808 the best with my R9 into a Marshall Bluesbreaker.

All in all, I think the TS808 is a good pedal. It is not absurdly overpriced as some of the boutique pedals, it is nearly ubiquitous, and therefore easily replaceable in case something goes wrong.
Two years ago, out of frustration mostly, I took out most of the "goo" in a Klon Centaur Professional Super Boutique Overdrive. See, to me it simply didnt do anything that any other mild overdrive / booster couldn't do, so I wanted to know that at least my bloody $ 350 went into some ultra high tolerance vibranium resistors, caps assembled by T.A. edison himself etc...
What I found was just a bunch of regular otc resistors and caps, a small amateurish looking etched circuit board and some wires. Disappointing, to say the least.

Anyway, sorry for the digression. I'd say go with the TS808.

Sorry for the necrobump but he speaks the truth.

In addition I would also like to add that most mods related to sound are absolutely unnecessary and take away the ethos of the pedal.

The good thing about the 808 is that it shaves off the bass from a muddy 4x12 on ten and brings more kerrang. Of course, electric guitars have unfortunately become so castrated that we now fear plexi's on 10 so we play a deluxe reverb on 2 and add a tubescreamer, set the level to 10oclock and gain to 3 oclock and wonder why it sounds so shit. For bedroom use a different pedal for godssake.

Also the theoretical concept behind matching guitars pedals and amps is beyond rocket science now that I have to roll my eyes. No need to write a textbook about it. Those who say a les paul through a superlead with an 808 is "too much" mids...yeah whatever buddy because that's something the pedal show said. When used in that context it gives the perfect amount of rolled off bass and more kerrang like it's on 11. Roll the tone knob back on the guitar for more fluidity ala EJ.

I also agree srv's sound has become cliche for many others and he made it sound good because he was stevie. For a fender through a large blackface amp like the super I really think the 808 masks the big voice of the amp and there are much better "classic" pedals. Best way to make a super sound like a narrow transistor radio. It's not because of the guitar. People listen to the pedal show and think strat scooped mids 808 mids blackface scooped mids, but that's a bunch of hogwash. This is music not algebra.

Please folks try pedals in their stock form with a loud amp that is preferably of your choice. Then worry about the modding.

Too many people going for a strat marshall fuzz face tone ala hendrix and wonder why their boutique fuzz into a 10" princeton is not giving up the goods so they start by modding the wrong thing.

For what it's worth I think the klon has it's uses but I don't find it versatile in many settings (kinda like the ts 808 actually) and it sure ain't worth 3000$.

mdubya

IMHO - if you have the drive or tone beyond 9 o'clock on a Tube Screamer, you are doing it wrong. And the volume needs to be above unity to drive the input on the amp.

I use a Maxon OD808 as a lead boost. It does exactly what it should do, boosts the signal. For that it works perfectly. Fairly unremarkable, but perfect.

Regarding Hendrix and the Fuzz Face; if you don't have the Volume knob on 10, you won't sound like Jimi. It is a demanding and difficult way to play, but that is where the Jimi majick happens; hiss, hum, mostly out of control. It is not a tone so much as it is the edge of chaos. Now stick a TS or a Treble Boost in front of that! :peace2 Roll guitar volume down to 1 or 2 if you want it to play nice.

P.Walker

IMHO - if you have the drive or tone beyond 9 o'clock on a Tube Screamer, you are doing it wrong. And the volume needs to be above unity to drive the input on the amp.

I use a Maxon OD808 as a lead boost. It does exactly what it should do, boosts the signal. For that it works perfectly. Fairly unremarkable, but perfect.

Regarding Hendrix and the Fuzz Face; if you don't have the Volume knob on 10, you won't sound like Jimi. It is a demanding and difficult way to play, but that is where the Jimi majick happens; hiss, hum, mostly out of control. It is not a tone so much as it is the edge of chaos. Now stick a TS or a Treble Boost in front of that! :peace2 Roll guitar volume down to 1 or 2 if you want it to play nice.

You get it :)

Marshall at least on 7 before I do anything.

Then an 808 derivative (with all its quirks) level maxed tone to taste gain at 8-9 oclock.
That or an sd-1 through a jcm 800 is like a poor mans version of an 808 through a superlead though not quite there

For blackfaces I don't really like adding gain stages to the amp sound...save for a simple clean boost like an mxr thing. Blackface with reverb and an echoplex is a whole different ball game though

For marshalls I like them straight up and with fuzzes tubescreamers klons treble boosters you name it. Only ambience I need is a room mic or plate reverb added post recording but even I find that unnecessary.