The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

LP Standard Faded Tobacco Burst

Hi guys (and gals),

I'm new to the forum and very impressed by what I've read here so far (real brain trust in Gibby LPs).

I just recently got my first Gibson LP, after years of Fender, Ibanez, and other Gibsons (Flying Vs and SGs, all of which had horrendous QC issues). I'm extremely delighted with this new guitar - it has the BEST pickups I've ever heard, an incredibly resonant acoustic tone, and compared to previous Gibsons I've had, has virtually flawless construction (it's not as precisely assembled as a CNC-made guitar, but being handmade, it shouldn't have to be).

Les Paul Forum Member Rock-On!!'s Avatar

Re: LP Standard Faded Tobacco Burst

Beautiful guitar!!

Give us some more details, what pickups, year, model,etc..

Bluesslinger

That's a Standard?? Wow! Rivals many Historics I've seen - beautiful guitar!

nice one

It's a 2005 Les Paul Standard with Faded Tobacco burst finish... it really leaped out at me in the music store, because its top was far more attractive than any of the glossy LPs I'd previously seen. I got a major case of GAS as a result, and after trying probably 30 other LPs, I came back to this one, and ironically enough, it was the one that impressed me the most sonically.

It has the burstbucker pros, which sound to my ear like DiMarzio Air Classic pickups, although with a slightly more "focused" feel. There's none of the nasty super high output boom of the old 490 series pickups. In terms of the finish, I actually like it a lot more than the gloss. It's not as sticky, and seems to let the wood breathe a lot more... the tone seemed to be a lot more complex and woody than the regular standards that I played.

Can I ask where you got it and how much?

Sure - I got from "Bud's Guitars" in Peterborough, ON, Canada (a small mom & pop outfit), and I paid $2175Cdn for it.

Les Paul Forum Member GuitarDean's Avatar

hey now, I LIKE 490's...lol
    Link to our music and the October 2013 Guitar Player Magazine article on us.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/ulmermcf...wamericanhoney and click on the "Hear This Now" picture

or my Facebook at
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dean-U...o/448425305623

ahh, uh ...like.... link us, Man!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheburashka
    ......it's not as precisely assembled as a CNC-made guitar, but being handmade, it shouldn't have to be........
    BEAUTIFUL!!!

Not sure who told you it was handmade.........it is a CNC made guitar.

Correction: Hand assembled. Mostly. ;)

It definitely isn't as cleanly put together as an Ibanez or Epiphone, but it plays a LOT better, has incredible tone, and "character", I feel.

Please clarify for me. Is this a faded sunburst of one of the faded series?

It definitely isn't as cleanly put together as an Ibanez or Epiphone, but it plays a LOT better, has incredible tone, and "character", I feel.
    You will fit right in here at the LPF with the other Les Paul nuts with an attitude like that!!!!

:dude

This is one of the faded series, with the thin satin violin-like finish.

Dear God.....It's BEAUTIFUL!!!!!
    Les is More
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=50020111

That is absolutely gorgeous!!!

I think they mean "Hand Stained".
    I would argue that the guitar is more hand-made than cnc'd, but definately not 100% hand made. Les Pauls never were all hand made.

Les Paul Forum Member

Beautimous!
    And a nicely shot picture too.

Les Paul Forum Member

Congratulations! You're guitar is a gem! I also got one of the tobacco burst Faded Standards this past week. (see pic)

For the ultimate LP/Marshall blues/rock tone, check out "The James Gang - Live in Concert" from 1971. You'll be glad you did.

Les Paul Forum Member bluespckr's Avatar

Man, your guitar just slaps you in the face, doesn't i? It screamS for attention ... which it deserves. She is gorgeous. Nice find. Oh, and I love the look of those B&W PUPs against that finish. SWEEEEEEEET :dude

From what I can tell, in addition to the faded series plain tops that people seem to dislike, Gibson is making some real gems, probably to encourage people to sign on. I'm not sure what the concensus about these guitars is, but from my point of view, it's win-win for the customer and for Gibson: We're getting a beautiful guitar for a few hundred less with extremely good tone due to the really thin finish, and Gibson is probably saving a packet by eliminating the extra drying/buffing.

Les Paul Forum Member

This is the first flame top Les Paul I've ever had and I'm fairly ignorant of the different qualities. Is there anything wrong with mine?
    For the ultimate LP/Marshall blues/rock tone, check out "The James Gang - Live in Concert" from 1971. You'll be glad you did.

Yours is gorgeous! The only thing "not right" with it is that it came with pickup covers, which they usually don't. I think it looks better that way, personally.

nice guitar
    congratulations

Oh, that is a terrible guitar. Give it to me and I will dispose of it properly.
    Well, ah, hm... usually the tongue in my cheek does most of the talking these days.

Yr Frnd,

Ots

Too late. I burned it to heat the house. ;)

Les Paul Forum Member

I've got a better pic now to post.. A friend came over last night and said he didn't like the top. He said it looks like it was colored with a crayon. As Bill O'Reilly would ask, "What say you?"

It takes a while to get used to the satin finish, I guess. I think it looks great, and in a few years, after it's had a chance to age a little, it'll probably look even better.

Les Paul Forum Member bluesjuke's Avatar

Nice top I see some reflection there off of the bridge and tailpiece. Must be a shiny satin. Welcome to the LPF.
    "Brings me the most special feeling I most ever had"

holy fuck !!! if the one I just bought looks like that, I'm going to loose my freakin' mind ( in a good way) :dude
    Check out my music here

https://m.soundcloud.com/christian-berrian-1
    That's instrumental music I recorded a while back
    Finally after many years, and some rough times, I am forming new band with my wife. Got a great bassist who has a jazz degree but his fav base player is Cliff Burton. Just need a drummer. Here is my wife's old band, we will be doing some of these
    https://m.soundcloud.com/eve-evol-purrr
    Peace
    EC1000

The camera actually captured it really well. The colour is exactly as pictured. The flame really jumps out when light hits it from an angle too. I'm probably starting to sound like a LP faded sycophant, but I'm just floored by how well it plays every time I pick it up. The guitar literally sings acoustically when I pluck a note... the whole guitar breathes. I've never encountered this in a solid body instrument before.

Not usually a fan of flames, but that's a terrific looking guitar, Cheburashka... subdued enough to not be too much... really very nice. That area just above the top of the right side of the bridge pickup up to the top shoulder of the guitar has a great depth to it. Nice score!

Is the 'satin' finish on these comparable to the finish on the LP Special DC faded? I quite like the finish on those...

Yessum, the finish is exactly the same style. Really thin and consistent.

This one posted by a guy at HC is still my favorite of the fadeds