• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Has anyone applied CARNAUBA Wax to their gibson??

newlpownerhere

I was cleaning the Lester for the first time yesterday and I when I was done i had some redish tint from the back of the guitar on the cloth!!! Please tell me this is normal PLEEASSEEE :wtf

fiddleback

Les Paul Froum Member
dude...i hope you mean dunlop guitar carnuba, or similar and not freakin' car wax.

did it mar the finish on the back? pics?
you might be ok...
but one shouldn't be hasty with the nitro.

modoc_333

i can't comment directly on that stuff, but i've found that guitars rarely (if ever) need anything more than a nice clean cloth to look their best.

K

Kim R

newlp...

Historic LP's are finished with several coats of nitro. The first coats on the back are tinted red with aniline dye. Usually two topcoats are applied over this that contain less dye. Since nitro is self-reactivating, when the topcoats are sprayed over the heavily tinted ones, some of that red dye leeches up into the topcoats. This gives the finished guitar a "3-D" appearance.

As the lacquer dries and begins to oxidize, some of the very top layer, along with the diluted red aniline, will come off with a lot of rubbing. You didn't hurt a thing. You might want to apply that wax very sparingly; it's pretty gummy stuff for instruments and is usually applied over very scratched surfaces to restore a shiny appearance.

Big Al

I do not wax my axe.
Not a good idea, IMO. Laquer is hard and clear enough. I like a clean polished Laquer finish.

hirobiro

maybe you just took off some overspray that the factory missed. i've done the carnuba thing on all my guitars with no problems. however, just to be safe, use it sparingly. congrats on your new guitar man. :dude

newlpownerhere

U GUYS JUST MADE MY DAY!! THANK GOD FOR THESE FORUMS AND KNOLIGABLE PEOPLE LIKE U FOLKS!! Im sure I lost a couple of hairs over this but at least now that I know I'll be able to sleep hahaha,, thanks again guys! :spin :salude

sickboy79

newlpownerhere said:
Twaz dunlop 65 CARNAUBA wax, suposibly safe on all guitars

I used that stuff for a couple years. I really liked it. Just haven't bought any lately. I didn't have any red tint on my polishing cloth.

Plankspanker

I've been using Gerlitz Carnube Wax for many years, especially fine for Archtops;never had a problem with it. As mentioned above, it's probably the red analine dye Gibson uses. It's known to migrate thru the layers of finish;this shows up on some Historics on the fretboard binding.