• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Deluxe goof rings?

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
The only place I've ever seen them is on a Deluxe...

I can't imagine a market for them.

Yukkk

John Vasco

Rock-On!!

A 'goof ring' was an additional plastic ring outside of the normal plastic pickup ring on some early Deluxes. There's a photo of a Deluxe with them on page 43 of Bacon & Day's book, 'The Gibson Les Paul Book'. I quote from the caption: "...Some like those on this 1970 example have an extra ring around the plastic cover. Designed to mask small tooling blemishes, the rings were known unofficially at the Gibson factory as 'goof hiders'..." Hope this explains things to your satisfaction.

:lhg

CutieJones

I've also heard the goof rings were an early attempt to make the mini-hums appear similar to fullsize humbuckers. My 69 deluxe has them. If I was to pull them and find NO router marks to the finish the reason in that book might be wrong! There are plenty of other mistakes in these books and they should not be taken as gospel. Has anyone removed there goof rings and actually seen poor tooling work?

Frinky

I saw a Deluxe on eBay.co.uk a while ago... advertising the goof hiders as a "rare, deseriable feature!" - I dunno which is sadder; him trying to pass them off as that, or someone falling for it...

John Catto

rifle said:
Heres a custom with goofhiders on.
All original.

http://www.tiptop.se/cgi-bin/multipage.cgi?id=806

Cool!

I was just going to say, have you ever seen the Customs with goof rings? I've seen a few of them, I can't imagine what they must of done that required hiding beyond the boundries of a humbucker ring!

One of the ones I've seen (which belongs to a friend) is interesting in that it's a 70's Custom witha Sunburst finish and a 2 piece slightly figured centre seam (but not bookmatched) top.

CutieJones

I think goof rings on fullsized humbuckers must have been purely cosmetic . . . or there were some very drunk router guys .

BillyBling

Designed to mask small tooling blemishes, the rings were known unofficially at the Gibson factory as 'goof hiders'..."

I believe they were invented to cover up for Liquid Lunches.........;)

rifle

CutieJones said:
I think goof rings on fullsized humbuckers must have been purely cosmetic . . . or there were some very drunk router guys .

On the LP I linked to, you could see the routehole without the goofhiders.