• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Let's see pics of you gigging with your Lester!

mikey_guit

So what do we have in our photo box...

lpf01.jpg

lpf02.jpg

lpf03.jpg

Me on the bastardized ebony axe w/ our band

Cheers!

phil47uk

mikey_guit......
Nice one... Jesus! I wish I'd been able to afford gear like that when I was your age..Ho Hum..How time have changed. ;)

Phil. :2zone

mikey_guit

phil47uk said:
mikey_guit......
Nice one... Jesus! I wish I'd been able to afford gear like that when I was your age..Ho Hum..How time have changed. ;)

Thanx Phil... but actually it's the "cheapest" quality-stuff I could get my hands on... LP Special Faded... bargain-tube amp by H&K... all my other bandmates' Marshalls is used Valvestate stuff...

On the other hand I can imagine that back then you had your worries with other stuff, and would be delighted to have that "cheap" gear! I remember some of your posts concerning guitars in the UK other than Gibson and Fender...

phil47uk

mikey_guit said:
Thanx Phil... but actually it's the "cheapest" quality-stuff I could get my hands on... LP Special Faded... bargain-tube amp by H&K... all my other bandmates' Marshalls is used Valvestate stuff...

On the other hand I can imagine that back then you had your worries with other stuff, and would be delighted to have that "cheap" gear! I remember some of your posts concerning guitars in the UK other than Gibson and Fender...

Hi Mikey_guit.. Don't worry about having cheap gear I often tell my pupils. Be proud and loud...'In the mans face' as I so crudely put it.
You know, the only reason I have some fairly expensive guitars, is that firstly it's my full time work, so I can offset most of it to tax. And secondly I'm getting an old bastard in my 50's and if I don't treat myself now, I never will.... :lolspin. I do smoke, but I don't drink much at all. Have any sports or expensive pastimes like golf etc, and certainly have no interest in clothes. I let my wife buy me something if I'm told I need it.
As I have always advocated, the guitar is only a tool, albeit that some sound better than others, but no amount of custom shop guitars will benefit a mediocre player..Your tone is you...Passion and dedicated love for what you do will always shine through no matter what you are playing.
I suppose the only tip I could ever give anyone wanting to make a living out of playing guitar is.......Be versatile, and you'll work anywhere. I suppose you can hit the big time and make it big by just playing one style...Clapton is a good example, but that depends on 95% luck and being at the right place at the right time. I certainly wouldn't like to place bets on that one.

Trouble is, that you don't often see history in the making when it's right under your nose... I turned down Procul Harem just before Whiter shade of Pale came out. I also turned down Los Bravos ( black is Black ) when they asked me to join them while I was playing in a nightclub in Madrid.
Chas and Dave in London....The list goes on..Aghhhhhhhh!! :lolspin.
Still!.. I made a fair old living at it. Working with all sorts of acts from Cabaret...Dance bands....Blues bands. Country bands....Orchestras..Teaching etc...
If I were to describe myself in a nutshell it would be..Jack of all trades, master of none. But that's just how I like it... ;)

Get out there with that band of yours and give the bastards hell .... :dude

Last edited:

kadowaki

Phil,
You're cool.
I'd like to meet you the next time I'm in the UK.
My stepdaughter attends boarding school in Belfast and we tend to visit her there once or twice a year. Perhaps next trip we can swing to England and see you gig!
Mark

phil47uk

kadowaki said:
Phil,
You're cool.
I'd like to meet you the next time I'm in the UK.
My stepdaughter attends boarding school in Belfast and we tend to visit her there once or twice a year. Perhaps next trip we can swing to England and see you gig!
Mark

kadowaki......Any time your over man, you'd be most welcome.
We have been to the States on quite a few occasions..Love it and the people. Maybe next time my wife and I will come without the kids......Kid's!..LOL they are 32 24 and 20 now.. Two still at home..
" What's for tea Mum?"..... "Are my trousers ironed?"......Hell It would be great to take a slow drive. Just the two of us around the U.S again. At our pace this time...Dead slow..... :lolspin
One day...One day. :
Let me know when you are around these parts...There is some good olde ale to be sampled... ;)

Cheers Phil :2zone

yz25098uk

*****Trouble is, that you don't often see history in the making when it's right under your nose... I turned down Procul Harem just before Whiter shade of Pale came out. I also turned down Los Bravos ( black is Black ) when they asked me to join them while I was playing in a nightclub in Madrid.
Chas and Dave in London....The list goes on..Aghhhhhhhh!! .
Still!.. I made a fair old living at it. Working with all sorts of acts from Cabaret...Dance bands....Blues bands. Country bands....Orchestras..Teaching etc...
If I were to describe myself in a nutshell it would be..Jack of all trades, master of none. But that's just how I like it...

jeez phil,
thats an awesome post\!!!!!

i remember feeling totally in awe of my tech when he was telling me about jamming with paul mcbeatle back stage at the g,harrison gig...
i actually got a go of the new c,shop l,p acoustic in his workshop, thats what he was using with mcartney!!!!

your list of people is just to be dreamt of by me,
EXCELLENT!!!!!
cheers
bruce
:dead:

frisco

Formerly greeny
slidejules said:
Blue lights and smoke machines are obviously "in" ;-)

thumbjazziz_jules_2.jpg

From colne blues festival last month

thumbJOL%20-%20Colne%20003.jpg

Hey Jules nice axe! :dude
what colour is your lester? it looks like a honeyburst

kadowaki

PhilUK
I'm just in the suburbs of Chicago, where I was born and raised.
If your ever this way you got a place to stay.
We got GREAT music in our town along with great places to eat.
Unfortunately, most of the Blues clubs have become tourist attractions, many of the legends are no longer as active as they had been or are deceased and we have prescribed set lists which mandate the inclusion of such standards as "Sweet Home Chicago", etc.
There are "authentic" clubs still there and us locals know how to find them.
Mark

phil47uk

yz25098uk
Trouble is, that when you first meet these people and they are getting ideas together, they are just ordinary people like ones self and that's how you remember them.
My best mate at school was Roy Thomas Baker (Queens producer), but back in our early days he was just Roy, the kid from a tower block council flat round the back of Kings Cross station. The guy like me who was crap at school and was a waste of space according to most of the teachers.
To me, he'll always just be Roy. The snotty kid with the big plans. We drove around London together in our teens in his red Austin A40 doing hand brake turns in Hamstead Heath carpark and getting our ears clipped by the police.
Chatting up the most obnoxious peroxide blondes you have ever laid eyes on... Hell ! we even drove into Soho one night and bet eachother we could go in with one of the prostitutes. We dug around in our pockets to see how much we had....Pretty pathetic really. About £3.50 between us..
The woman got as far as talking to us and we chickened out like no tomorrow...Fragile male egos left totaly dented and deflated, but at least we had the money for a burger each..... :lolspin :lolspin

kadowaki.
That's one place we have never been. We've flown over Chicago a few times though....Seen it from 36,000 feet.
Thank's for the offer man..Will certainly get in touch if we are over in your neck of the woods.
I imagine the old blues clubs were something else. But like everything today, what you said about them becoming touristy is right...Something dies along the way....The hunger..The raw street feel. It all can become too manufactured. The way London has gone I'm afraid.

slidejules

greeny said:
Hey Jules nice axe! :dude
what colour is your lester? it looks like a honeyburst

Yes indeed it is, just bought my second this weekend, a Desertburst, and it's great! :)

Just catching up reading this thread, loving reading the reminiscences of London... as a 25 yr old living and gigging around London I gotta say I'm half happy and half sad reading them... happy because it used to rock, sad because I never got to see it. Just this week I found out another live venue that I used to play at now and again, The Torrington in Finchley, has just been sold to a restaurant (chain I believe) and is likely to stop hosting live music soon. Bummer! Sorry for the OT post!

Hackubus

Les Paul Forum Member
Photographic evidence of the new band's 1st gig. My 1st bar gig in FIVE years. Went well, I thought. Got a 'cash incentive' for packing the place & keeping it packed. So I'm a happy camper.

Apologies for the crummy pics. The wife refused to take pictures as she was busy yakking with her girlfriends, so I have NO pics of me with my doubleneck or 57 TV Jr. =( The drummer's girlfriend took these pics below.

68576272.jpg

Me & the R8 taking a drink break. :dude

68578168.jpg

Flailing away on the old R7.