• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Johnny Thunders's TV Junior(s)

daze

As always Mr Catto pulls the ace out on the photo's:dude

All you Thunders fan's have of course read this ?? & this???. Though I'd trust nitebob's memory more than these artilcles....did I just say THAT!!! <chuckle> :lol2

Butterfly

Speaking of reminicing about the old NYC days, does anyone know what Walter Lure is up to these days (assuming he is still alive)?

vintage58

Man, those concert photos have got to be some of the absolute COOLEST photos that I've ever seen on the Les Paul Forum. Thanks for posting 'em!!!

Also, as far as I know, Walter Lure is still playing with the Waldos, they typically play in NYC every few months or so. Their set is somewhat Heartbreakers-intensive, with other band members generally singing the vocals on songs that Johnny used to sing the lead part on (e.g., "Born To Lose," "I Love You"). By the way, Walter appears to still be using the same tobacco-sunburst 70s Les Paul Deluxe -- at least I *think* that it's a Deluxe -- that he used in the Heartbreakers when Richard Hell was still in the band.

lpnv59

All Access/Backstage Pass
I saw the Heartbreakers w/ Hell at the Rat in '76. They conned owner Jimmy Harold into an advance of their guarantee to get hotel rooms. Guess what, they went and made Shafts big score and got all fucked up instead. They went on late, walked straight from the dressing room at the back of the club, like zombies, thru the empty chairs and tables, knocking them all over. The place was mostly empty. As you can imagine, the set was very loose! They played Chinese Rock great though. I'll never forget that show.............sorry, I have no pics to share!:dude :dude

tojoe

J.Thunders

Wow brought back memories John. I remember seeing the Dolls and Kiss at Massey Hall, I think later that same year ? Having seen Kiss's return gig at the Victory I saw the posters for that gig you shot(Great), If I'm not mistaken was there a Stooges gig at the Victory, I also think the Victory quit moonlighting around 74' or so.

John Catto

Yeah, I saw the Stooges at the Victory (got pics of that), Silverhead (and that) , Savoy Brown, and maybe a couple more that escape me. That was a great place to see a gig. For those that aren't "getting" this, the Victory Burlesque was exactly what the name sounds like..an real old style still operating Burlesque/Strip Club with the runway and everything that someone started booking Rock gigs into around 72-4. It was at Spadina and Dundas in Toronto and has been a Chinese movie theatre for many many years. When the Stooges played one of the strippers dressed as a nun stripped (or flashed anyway) and did the introductions.

Wattage

John - SILVERHEAD PICS PLEEEEEZEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Long Legged Lisa all the boys used to tease her
Now she's grown up nice and tall and she really likes to ball....

I got to meet Des Barres when he had Chequered Past, I was wrecked and sang that to him, he must of thought I was a freaking loon.

tojoe

J.Thunders

Not Silverhead, Hello NewYork was as brash as it gets..didn't see De Barres dopng his best Elvis karatae moves till Detective's (ElMo) gig.
. .John since this is LPF, did you catch the Montrose or Lou Reed Live Massey gigs around this time, those and the Bowie Okeefe gig along with gigs you mentioned, are pretty much the ones that got away, you got me by a yr or 2.

John Catto

Missed Montrose, saw the Lou Reed Massey Hall and Bowie Okeefe (that was later, it was the Diamond Dogs tour with Earl Slick) gigs as well as all at Massey Hall, TRex, Sparks, Mott The Hoople, Todd Rundgren, all around the same time. I'm leaving some out but there was an awful lot going on back then.

WJBIII

Les Paul Froum Member
585960 said:
I wonder how hard it is to play in chicks shoes?
You know what? That very issue is how KISS won my heart. I was never really a fan of those guys. I finally went to see 'em, though, at MSG about '78 or so. I watched them doing that, and my mind was made up.

Ever afterward, if I heard someone slagging KISS, I'd tell 'em, "Listen, son: on the day when you get up on deck live in front of twenty thousand people and play that sort of thing while you're running around in six or eight-inch heels, that'll be the day when you have something to say about it."

Most people have no earthly idea how sheerly athletic it is to play rock guitar like that, and that was the first time that occurred to me.

I was enormously impressed.

DEVILBAT

I'm still dead

Glad to see y'all still talking about me. Gimme some reverb.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Mrjohnnythunders said:

:eek:la I'll fire up the old 63 Fender Reverb unit, and away you go. :wail

Lars

Les Paul Forum Member
Mrjohnnythunders said:

Sell me those yellow thigh high street whore boots you were wearing at that club in Danvers,Mass. 'bout late summer 1975 dood!

John Catto

Since this threads back around, I've stuck my pics back up so if you've missed them this time around recheck the first page. How about this dolls reunion for the morrisey thing eh? All I've gotta work out now is how to get in :(

Lars

Les Paul Forum Member
John Catto said:
Since this threads back around, I've stuck my pics back up so if you've missed them this time around recheck the first page. How about this dolls reunion for the morrisey thing eh? All I've gotta work out now is how to get in :(

Catto!--You were da man and you continue to be da man!!! ;) Too cool Johnny!Fine piece of work dood!:fatty :davepaf

RickC

lpnv59 said:
When I saw the Dolls at the Cricket Lounge in Ashland MA, JT was using that Marshall stack. I remember those chrome dustshields shining through the grill. He was playing a black refin LP Special and it was very late fall '72 I think it was. I was a freshman in college.

Yikes! I live in Ashland now; any idea what the Cricket Lounge is these daze?

And just let me re-iterate, of all the things I love about the LPF, the wealth of incredible photos people post here really blows me away. Thanks for those Thunder pics; you guys rock

/rick

lpnv59

All Access/Backstage Pass
RickC said:
Yikes! I live in Ashland now; any idea what the Cricket Lounge is these daze?

And just let me re-iterate, of all the things I love about the LPF, the wealth of incredible photos people post here really blows me away. Thanks for those Thunder pics; you guys rock

/rick
I have no idea! The last time I went to Ashland was in '72 to see the Dolls gig. I'll email someone I know that might know the answer to that.

B

buffalonickle

I saw Johnny Thunders in the late 80's in manchester and it's in my top five gigs ever!

He played a 58 TV through a Twin with a Marshall all night and sounded amazing, I was blown away.

At the end of the gig he walked back on stage, spliff in mouth, saddle bags over his shoulder and dragged some guys chick out of the audience and dissapeared back stage.

I'm sad he's no longer with us.

One of the last true Rock'n Rollers and one of the reasons why I've always loved late 50's TV's.

http://community.webshots.com/album/144522221raoFyi

MarshallOne

How about some Sir Lord Baltimore pics. Those guys ROCK. If you want to know where Kiss got some ideas check out Sir Lord Baltimore.

JTR

I did a show with Thunders in London in 1984 and they borrowed all our gear, those photos would confuse some people......Thunders playing through a 150watt carlsbro combo and Billy Rath with my Westone Thunder bass through a carlsbro stingray bass amp and home made cab.