• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Charlie Daniels' Stolen Burst

Nelson F

In the Zone/Backstage Pass
MHGOLDTOP said:
TW , I agree they look nothing alike...interesting...:hmm

Hmm*~* hey Mikey are you the nu CZAR :duh ??? :duh

The burst photo from, Oct '80

This photo is most likely not the stolen burst we're searching for. The dated letter is March 28, 1980 and it states that the guitar was stolen several months earlier. I let him know about this forum and thread and am hoping he will join and post comments about this thread.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Due to computer trouble I was having with this thread, I missed the post of the date.
I will double check my date, but it should be correct as October, 1980. So, it would be a different guitar.
Sorry about the poor quality picture. At least you all missed the shot of "hippy" Tom holding it. ;)

CDB Management Informed

CDB Management was informed on Thurs . the 20th. We should have a thread update from them soon. Stay tuned on this thread here. There is a good photo of the Guitar Player Issue with CD on the cover in a seperate thread. It does appear to be the guitar we're searching for. The enhanced photo from MHGoldtop and Johnnytone is the best photo of it so far.

Dave Paetow

Les Paul Forum Member
It would be nice if he could recover it. 23 years is a long time, though. But then again look at the Ed King situation...

Dave Paetow said:
It would be nice if he could recover it. 23 years is a long time, though. But then again look at the Ed King situation...

If there is an internet site that could locate this guitar, this would be it!! It would be nice if we keep looking for Charlie's guitar. At todays prices, it should turn up on the market soon. If this forum is helpful in its' recovery, I'm sure some big bucks would be donated to help keep this forum going. Thanks for a great website and for your help Dave and Lily!!!

1959burst

Mesa Master
i still think he recovered it, someone should check to see if it is still missing first....................... doncha think?

Still missing and out there somewhere

Charlie emailed me back today, Monday November 24, 2003 and let me know that the guitar was never recovered! He does not have it and has not seen it since early 1980. This info is hot off the press and is as current of info as you can get. This info is truthful and accurate. I'll forward the reply to MHGoldtop for forum confirmation. Keep looking for it and happy hunting. It is a wanted burst! Reward for its' recovery. Notify this forum if seen please. Thanks!

stevechilders

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I was watching the volunteer jam from the 70's & it appeared that Charlie was using a 60's burst... was just trying to get some more info...

swankmotee

When I checked out Charlie's "Burst" [over 20 years ago] I didn't think it was quite right. It didn't look like a real Burst. I was not in a situation where I could even open up the control cavity, so I got little more that a quick look.

Well, when I used to hang around with Chris Derrig at Atlanta Guitar Works back in the day, he showed me a LP clone he made for CD that as I recall was fairly well known about. I know Chris was trying to be hush-hush about the deal at the time because he was going to try passing it off as the real thing which at the time seemed pretty lame to my teenage brain but I believe the way it all played out was that CD was fully aware that it was a fake but liked it so much that he kept it. Maybe somebody here remembers some more of the details about this as well but I'm sure that was the axe that CD played out with quite a bit at that time. Sorry but no pics or documentation to back it up so you'll just have to take it for what it's worth.