• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

The Stooges "Raw Power" - James Williamson - the brashest Les Paul tone ever...?

Progrocker111

Re: The Stooges "Raw Power" - James Williamson - the brashest Les Paul tone ever...?

Its an very early 71. I have had two similar cherrybursts, both with very early 71 pot codes.

Kris Ford

Re: The Stooges "Raw Power" - James Williamson - the brashest Les Paul tone ever...?

Its an very early 71. I have had two similar cherrybursts, both with very early 71 pot codes.

Still has 1970 square Gibson inlay as well..:hmm

Progrocker111

Still has 1970 square Gibson inlay as well..:hmm

My very early 71 (cherryburst too, 3rd week of 71 pot codes) has it too. This logo type lasted into very early 71, the font was gradually slimmer though.

Tommy Tourbus

I think I remember reading Bowie say they were on Quaaludes when they did the mix....

But yeah, I dig that album. Still gets my heart rate up almost 30 years after hearing it for the first time.

The lore is that they mixed everything but the lead guitar and vocals onto one track while stoned, and then called Bowie in to try and fix it

Kris Ford

"The Stooges" and "Kick out the Jams!" were our *anthems* growing up as radical rock&roll hippies (we thought) in westside Detroit. The Grande, Palladium, Eastown, oh yeah. When the rest of the country turned its back on real rock & roll in the early 70s, a large hardcore contingent in Detroit hung in there, and hence we were getting bands like the various Iggy incarnations, Dolls and Ramones in their "nobody" periods, etc., all *well* before the Sex Pistols. Also more straightahead hard-rockin bands like Detroit and Cactus. J. Geils in their early days was practically a local band in Detroit.

I can't remember the name to the most notorious place of all. We called it the "You must be..." because that's what it said over the door. I think it was on Michigan Avenue in Wayne. It was a very sleazy adult theater 24 hours a day, but on Friday and Saturday nights they would turn it into a concert venue starting at midnight. Drug deals all over the place, major biker hangout (when that meant something very different from what it does today), dangerous parking lot, police raids, and, oh yeah, really loud, really primal, rock & roll. YOu had BETTER ROCK when you come in that place, and no foolin around. Not a "patient" audience. :)

Hitchiking home when they kicked us out at at 6 AM. Man, those were the days.

Anybody else know the place I'm talking about?

Melody Theater, for "adult' movies or Melody Ballroom...(for shows)
My biker buddy told me he met his old lady there!

Gonzo79

I absolutely love Raw Power - Gimme Danger is a particualr favourite. Raw is the best word to describe the sound, the songs and the lyrics.

One strange thing for me is that Iggy's 1997 mix is far superior to Bowie's original mix. It's just more aggressive and powerful.

The guitar sound is just another example of Les Pauls being the best guitars!