• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Loose Pickup in Neck Position. How to Fix?

FuzzWas

Does anyone know how to stop the shaking or tilting of the neck pickup?

I rose the pups out of the ring a little and now it rocks back and forth. Would it be fine to shim this somehow?

Is this common, or are the routes too large for the pickup mounting feet.

The pickup seems to pivot on the extra lead wire, about an 1/8th inch, and I don't think it would be proper to trim the wire.

Whatcha think?

58burst

What I do is to cut a piece of foam packing material, like foam rubber or urethane foam, to the right size & put it in the cavity under the PU so it pushes up on it- holds it steady.

Crunchyriff

You may either want to replace those springs on the adjustment screws, or use what some other manufacturer's use- which looks like surgical tubing or something.

I suppose you could shim it, as you suggest, and I don't know how many actually need to do that; but the few pickups I've had that problem with, were cured instantly of the problem by simply getting enuff tension there. Probably need longer springs.

FuzzWas

Okay, thanks much!

I will first try some foam, as the springs are an SOB for my dexterity:)

cndoman

Les Paul Forum Member
This happens on the neck pickup of some SG's I have owned. Remove the whole assembly as one unit, and believe it or not , put almost anything you want in the cavity, foam rubber, styrofoam, even a rolled up sock.

TruelasDougblood

cndoman said:
This happens on the neck pickup of some SG's I have owned. Remove the whole assembly as one unit, and believe it or not , put almost anything you want in the cavity, foam rubber, styrofoam, even a rolled up sock.

Not one of my used industrial grade socks :dead: :dead: :dead:

my SG has loosis flopis of the neck pup, I bought springs from StewMac in two sizes and I wasn't thinking about which should go where when I did the install, so the smaller springs are where the larger ones should be. And in keeping with the "I wasn't thinking" motif, I keep forgeting to fix it when I change strings.

Maybe a subtle post-it note would do the trick, like.......

"Hey shitforbrains, fix the neck pickup..."

Maybe I just do it now while I'm thinking about it??

FuzzWas

cndoman said:

Yeah, thats it! Mine is an SG Supreme in Midnight burst. I used to keep the pups low but recently raised the neck pup, ans there I had it, loosis flopis!

RickN

Here's something I tried: aluminum tubing from a hobby store.

post_cut_upload.jpg

post_installed_upload.jpg

The only problem with this approach is that you have to be sure you like the pickup height, because you can't adjust it with these installed. BUT... the pickup absolutely doesn't move around.

FuzzWas

mofinco said:
Here's something I tried: aluminum tubing from a hobby store.

post_cut_upload.jpg

post_installed_upload.jpg

The only problem with this approach is that you have to be sure you like the pickup height, because you can't adjust it with these installed. BUT... the pickup absolutely doesn't move around.

That is a Rock Solid approach for sure. I might do that at a later time in life, but I just found this problem because I was experimenting with the sound of the Pup in diferent hieghts.

I do like where it is now, but that might change in a week. I will think about this method for sure though in the future.

Thanks mofinco!