• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Les Paul Classic Serial Number

DANELECTRO

The early 90's Classics are wonderful guitars. I consider them to be the poor man's Historic. I have a '90 and a '92 and would take them any day over a Standard. The 60's neck works for me. Unlike the Standard, they have features more like a 50's Les Paul such as nickel hardware, thin binding, small headstock, nicely aged fret markers, knob pointers, "MODEL" on the headstock and an ABR bridge. I've replaced the original mounting rings with tall rings, the trussrod cover with a blank one, and the pickups with Seth Lovers and Classic 57s. It's a pretty good knockoff for a '60 sunburst. The '92 is a faded tobacco/honeyburst. It has a nice subtle wavy flame top that looks very similar to "Pearly Gates". I've had several people ask me if a Historic.

The newer Classics aren't bad, but they have some goofy things going on such as wide binding, "Classic" silkscreened on the headstock, hideous dog-pee-yellow "aged" fret markers, and flesh/pink colored plastic (what the hell's up with the colors on the newer models anyway?).

I found both of my classics on eBay. The early 90's models are a little hard to find. About once every couple of months a nice one will show up. You just have to be patient.

- Dan

http://home.woh.rr.com/dbartosik/90-Classic.jpg
http://home.woh.rr.com/dbartosik/92-Classic.jpg

Last edited:

Turbozag

Banned
My Classic is a beauty! Plays as good as it looks!

I got mine from a guy in Iowa who basically kept it in it's case for 10 years before selling it to me. Mine is pretty much mint except for one finish check in the cutaway along the maple-cap seam.

I am considering changing the pickguard to a plain one. I remember reading that the pickguard for the Classic was different than the one that fits a Standard...? If so, can anyone provide me with a part number and/or supplier for a plain pickguard that will fit a Classic?

I just converted all the Nickel hardware on my Classic to gold. In case you missed the other thread I posted (and because I think it's pretty!) I'm including a photo of it below.

Mine is a 1990 model. Note the NOT green aged inlays.

I'm getting ready to send it to Dan Erlewine for a fret-dress and a setup. Anyone here have Dan setup a guitar for them?

Goldtop%20Gold%20body1.JPG

:dude

albacorky

hey everybody

well i'm new here ..this is my first post ..but i have a classic so i thought i'd share with you .. mine is a 99 cherrysunburst and although it's no flamer it's pretty nice .. but i changed a bunch of stuff on it .. i hope you guys ain't the vintage snob types but i had to do it .. the guitar played great the way it was but with them ceramic chainsaw pickups in there it didn't really sound like a classic ..i'm still puzzled about that ? where did gibson ever get the idea that a 500t was a classic 60's type of sound ?? they didn't have anything even close to that in 1960.. and those aged inlays ?? with chrome hardware ?? what were they thinkin there ?? so i took off the chrome hardware and put a set of gold 57 classics on there with gold grovers and now the thing actually sounds like a classic .. that moniker is no longer a misnomer ..classic actually fits .. especially with the aged inlays , now it looks right .. that chrome and goldish inlay looked like a lady with a mustashe.. it had to go .. and these 57 classics ..oh man these are the best pups .. i like em better than the 498t .. i think even thats too hot .. the 57 classic is just right .. the guitar is pretty much perfect now the way it is ..

fendertweed

John Catto said:
Gruen's book (2nd edition) says that Classic serial numbers are 50's style (but without a gap) with a first digit equal to the last digit of manufacture ie. 1996 would be 6XXXX. Also he notes that 1990 example have a 4 digit serial (WITH a gap) until late in the year ie. 0 XXX. Based on all that maybe it's a 2000??

I had a '91 Classic that was SN 1 xxxx, so they were still doing single no. with a gap as late as '91.

Jon

DANELECTRO

Turbozag said:
I am considering changing the pickguard to a plain one. I remember reading that the pickguard for the Classic was different than the one that fits a Standard...? If so, can anyone provide me with a part number and/or supplier for a plain pickguard that will fit a Classic?

The pickguard on a Classic is the same as a Standard. A Historic pickguard will NOT fit. The problem with replacing the pickguard is finding the right color. The new Gibson plastic is pinkish and looks horrible. I'm still looking for a pickguard for one of my Classics. I prefer Gibson, but I'll use an aftermarket part if I can find one that has the correct color and appearance. Does anybody know where to find one? I couldn't find an Allparts guard locally. Are they the correct color? I suppose I can get one custom made, but that gets a little pricey. I had bid on a NOS 1975 cream guard on eBay, but when the price went above $30, I bailed out (which I regret doing now, I really need a pickguard!).

Also, if you are replacing pickup mounting rings, Dimarzio makes aftermarket rings that are very similar to the Historic parts. They are tall and have the correct color. You can order a pair for $5.00 as opposed to ~$25 for the Historics.

http://home.woh.rr.com/dbartosik/dimarzio-rings.jpg

- Dan

Last edited:

Imperator

I have a Les Paul Classic that I just bought, my 1st LP, and the serial # on the back is 006330. I looked at Gibson's webpage and it says guitars with this number were made in '73 and Gibson switched to an 8 number system in '77. I doubt this was made in '73, I don't even think they had classics back then, can anyone help me date it?

This is from the Gibson website:

Les Paul Classic: This model features an ink stamped serial number with no "MADE IN USA" (just as we used on the original 1952-1960 Les Pauls). Most will be 5 to 6 digits in length, but the earliest examples feature 4 digit serial numbers. There should be a space after the 1st digit with the 4 and 5 digit serial numbers, and no space with the 6 digit numbers.
The 1st digit indicates the year of manufacture for the 4 & 5 digit serial numbers, these were used from 1989-1999. The 1st and 2nd indicate the year of manufacture for the 6 digit serial numbers which we've been using since 2000.

Examples -
9 xxx = 1989 (4 digit number beginning with "9" used only in 1989)
0 xxxx = 1990
9 xxxx = 1999
00xxxx = 2000
05xxxx = 2005

Those beginning with "94":
In 1994, Gibson's Centennial year, many instruments have a serial number that begins with "94" for the year, with the remaining 6 digits indicating the ranking number.

Last edited:

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner

Les Paul Classic: This model features an ink stamped serial number with no "MADE IN USA" (just as we used on the original 1952-1960 Les Pauls). Most will be 5 to 6 digits in length, but the earliest examples feature 4 digit serial numbers. There should be a space after the 1st digit with the 4 and 5 digit serial numbers, and no space with the 6 digit numbers.
The 1st digit indicates the year of manufacture for the 4 & 5 digit serial numbers, these were used from 1989-1999. The 1st and 2nd indicate the year of manufacture for the 6 digit serial numbers which we've been using since 2000.

Examples -
0 xxxx = 1990
9 xxxx = 1999
00xxxx = 2000
05xxxx = 2005

Those beginning with "94":
In 1994, Gibson's Centennial year, many instruments have a serial number that begins with "94" for the year, with the remaining 6 digits indicating the ranking number.

It was the weird color you used. :ganz

tonar8353

Here is mine next to a Warmoth body I finished. The serial number is 2 3549; its a great guitar!
IMG_8893.jpg

latkagravas

my lp Classic is a 2005 model. it has some flame in the maple top,it weighs a ton and plays great. i don`t mind the high output pickups :)

dcdefend

I, too, am a fan of the early 90's Classics. I have 2, 3-1146, which is a Premium Plus, and, 3-2846, which is a gold top, brown back. Pre Historics also had these same type serial numbers, and the one I have is 3-1369. The Premium Plus has "model" on the head stock whereas the gold top has Classic on the headstock. All three of these guitars have slim 60s necks. The gold top is very light weight, the Premium Plus very heavy and the Pre Historic a little heavier than the gold top.

I have also upgraded these guitars, the premium plus has been refinished at Historic Makeovers and has WCR Goodwood/Darkburst pickups, lightweight stop tailpiece and abr no wire bridge, 60s style knobs and tuners and a Martin Six String Custom pots and caps. The gold top has WCR Fillmore pickups and similar hardware upgrades.

Although I have an R9 and a R0, I like the Classics just as much.

Luca P

Here's mine, bought it back in '95 at Gruhn's Nashville.
So it's from...huh?
1993?

Foto800-CB6HGXPL.jpg

Foto800-7OATBQEW.jpg

DANELECTRO

Here's mine, bought it back in '95 at Gruhn's Nashville.
So it's from...huh?
1993?

Foto800-7OATBQEW.jpg

Correct, that's a 1993.

Examples -
0 xxxx = 1990
9 xxxx = 1999
00xxxx = 2000
05xxxx = 2005

The early 1990's were also 4 digit numbers. Here's a 1990 that I no longer own:

At one time I had three Classics, however once I bought my first Historic in 2003 I discovered that I actually preferred a thicker neck (after thinking for years that a skinny neck was best for me). I've since sold off all of my Classics in favor of Historics. The quality of the early Classics is excellent and if it weren't for the skinny necks I'd still be playing them.

Here are the other two I had:

facemelter

I have a Les Paul Classic that I just bought, my 1st LP, and the serial # on the back is 006330. I looked at Gibson's webpage and it says guitars with this number were made in '73 and Gibson switched to an 8 number system in '77. I doubt this was made in '73, I don't even think they had classics back then, can anyone help me date it?

I guess it's a 2000?

I have an LP Classic also... serial number 61228.. I'm assuming it's a 1996.
photo.php

DANELECTRO

The 60's neck works for me.

Yeah, that's what I said and believed in my post on March 3, 2003. One month later I bought my first Historic, a 2003 BRW R7. I was really concerned that the neck thickness might be a problem, however it only took an hour or two of play to realize that the Historic neck was much more comfortable and I've been a fat-neck convert ever since. At one time I had three skinny-necked Classics, but all have since been sold in favor of Historics (and vintage LPs).

SteveMKentucky

Looks like Ben Wells of Black Stone Cherry has one (Classic on truss rod cover) signature on head. No idea what year it is:

w16yqw.jpg

Last edited: