The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
Vintage Guitar Registry
LPF Homesite

58 historic reissue blacktop

hi gang,
    does anyone here have a 58 historic reissue blacktop? i saw one at a reecent guitar show and was wondering how it played. did gibson ever make these blacktops before or is this a custom guitar?

any help would be appreciated...jimmy

Les Paul Forum Member 1958teaburst's Avatar
    they have made a few in the few past years . They also made 59s like this . I like them :dude
    "If you put everything I've done in my life into one day , it looks decent " George Castanza
    ~Duane~

wow!! there's 59s like that? cool. is there any precedent to painting just the tops black? were there any original 58s or 59s like that?

thanks...jimmy

Les Paul Forum Member 1958teaburst's Avatar
    There were too different black tops , trans-black like the jps or just black like the one in botb . I think that the trans black ones had a natural back(like gold top) .
    "If you put everything I've done in my life into one day , it looks decent " George Castanza
    ~Duane~

Doug H
    Originally posted by 59FAN
    wow!! there's 59s like that? cool. is there any precedent to painting just the tops black? were there any original 58s or 59s like that?

thanks...jimmy
    Yeah, in the book Beauty of the Burst (abbrev.= BOTB) there's a "blacktop." Actually, it's completely black- neck, back, and all. It has black knobs replacing the gold, but still has creme pup rings, guard, & switchplate. I think it's a pretty sweet look, but then again I like most LPs I've seen.

Les Paul Forum Member blustrat95's Avatar
    http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/sh...oric+black+top

Above is a link to a thread on the R8 Historic ebony top. Those were made for Sam Ash and they were a limited run of 60. They have 57 Classics.
    Below is a link to a thread on the 1960 Black Burst. COOL.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/sh...ht=black+burst