• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1953 Trapeze Les Paul Goldtop gets a MojoAxe tailpiece (PICS PICS PICS)

buyusfear

I have another goldtop in my care, getting a new lease on life with one of MojoAxe's awesome Goldtop saver Compensated Top-Wrap Trapeze Tailpiece's.

This guitar is absolutely stunning, and rings like a a bell. The owner's grandfather was the original owner. This current owner is thankfully a player himself, and learnt of a previous '52 I had done this to, and reached out to have me do the same to his. Its an extremely simple mod, usually only requiring that you gently straighten the trapeze at the angled bends, which in this guitars case would have needed to be straightened regardless, as they were too raked from factory IMO.

I've been lucky enough to handle many early gold tops now and each one is such a thrilling experience, and pleasure to photograph.

Lastly, Dan has just recently come up with an extremely accurate wide lapel Bell Truss Rod cover I ordered along with some tailpieces. It matches the vintage truss rod covers extremely closely. More photos on that here.

Onto the goods.

3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots29_orig.jpg

3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots01_orig.jpg

3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots04_orig.jpg

3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots35_orig.jpg

3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots37_orig.jpg

3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots08_orig.jpg

As a builder, I love seeing honest handwork like this heavy sanding where the heel meets the body's cutaway:
3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots09_orig.jpg

Not to mention the imperfect binding scraping:
3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots10_orig.jpg

3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots11_orig.jpg

3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots25_orig.jpg

buyusfear

Here you can see just how low profile the MojoAxe tailpiece is to accomplish the swap:
3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots12_orig.jpg

3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots36_orig.jpg

3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots13_orig.jpg

3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots14_orig.jpg

3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots15_orig.jpg

This photo illustrates the over bend of the bars. In order to correct this I gently straightened out the trapeze bars:
3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots16_orig.jpg

Fun Fact, both the truss rod nut and trapeze nut are 5/16 hex nuts.

Here you can see the new tailpiece sitting flatter

3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots20_orig.jpg

3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots21_orig.jpg

3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots23_orig.jpg

3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots24_orig.jpg

buyusfear

3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots27_orig.jpg

I found this badge inside the case pocket. I will consult with the owner on re-installing it with period correct 18gauge brass roundhead pins.
3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots28_orig.jpg

3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots30_orig.jpg

3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots31_orig.jpg

3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots32_orig.jpg

3-0319-trapeze-goldtop8_orig.jpg

3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots33_orig.jpg

3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots38_orig.jpg

Don

I've been considering putting one of these on my '59 ES-225. It'd have to be modified- the threaded holes drilled out to be clearance holes for the ES-225's existing bridge studs. Dan told me it's been done before.

TM1

Nice! Are you going to shim those pickups so you can get some volume out of them? The look really low in the routes.

buyusfear

Nice! Are you going to shim those pickups so you can get some volume out of them? The look really low in the routes.

I’d suggested it to the owner.
We’re going to see how he likes it with the poles raised and gonfrom there.
The neck pickup is uncomfortably uber tight in the cavity so leaving it in is almost preferable IMO, and it overpowers the bridge as is.
The bridge could be raised though.
I may just make a couple maple shims to fit and leave them in the case for him.

zhivago

Excellent photography, and an excellent Goldtop!

Many thanks for this thread! :salude

thin sissy

Great thread! I'm very glad you documented this, as I don't think I've seen a thread on trapeze goldtops this detailed here before.

Beautiful guitar.

MapleFlame

Makes 52's very playable and extremely fun to play. Mine sounds amazing with this tailpiece. Thank you for sharing the pictures.

buyusfear

Excellent photography, and an excellent Goldtop!

Many thanks for this thread! :salude

Thanks!

Great thread! I'm very glad you documented this, as I don't think I've seen a thread on trapeze goldtops this detailed here before.

Beautiful guitar.

Thanks, I'll post some more pics in that case.

Makes 52's very playable and extremely fun to play. Mine sounds amazing with this tailpiece. Thank you for sharing the pictures.

My pleasure Steve!
And I agree, I've done this to a couple trapeze Les Paul's and the guitar is completely transformed. And with the unique super low neck angle, playing them is unlike any other LP.

3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots39_orig.jpg

3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots40_orig.jpg

An interesting thing about this particular headstock is that the tip measures almost 1mm thicker than at the volute transition area.
3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots43_orig.jpg

3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots44_orig.jpg

3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots45_orig.jpg

3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots46_orig.jpg

This is in mm's
3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots47_orig.jpg

Vintage cover vs new
3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots51_orig.jpg

3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots49_orig.jpg

DrRobert

Les Paul Forum Member
That's a really pretty guitar and a super useful mod. I hope the owner ends up playing it in good health for decades!

Gibsongt

Thanks for posting this! I will be getting a MojoAxe tailpiece too for my 53!

buyusfear

That's a really pretty guitar and a super useful mod. I hope the owner ends up playing it in good health for decades!

It sure is, and I think he's going to be pretty happy with it.

Thanks for posting this! I will be getting a MojoAxe tailpiece too for my 53!

You're welcome! And yes, get one, you'll be happy.

Update, I went and made some hard maple shims for the bridge pup and also was able to find the correct brass round head 18 gauge nails for the case badge.

3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots53_orig.jpg

Flamed eastern maple of course. :yah
3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots56_orig.jpg

3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots59_orig.jpg

3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots60_orig.jpg

3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots61_orig.jpg

3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots62_orig.jpg

I left the grime marks on the side of the cover in place for this pic to show the amount I raised it. Then rubbed them off.
3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots64_orig.jpg

rockabilly69

It sure is, and I think he's going to be pretty happy with it.

You're welcome! And yes, get one, you'll be happy.

Update, I went and made some hard maple shims for the bridge pup and also was able to find the correct brass round head 18 gauge nails for the case badge.

3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots62_orig.jpg

I left the grime marks on the side of the cover in place for this pic to show the amount I raised it. Then rubbed them off.
3-0319-trapeze-goldtop-headshots64_orig.jpg

So how much better does it sound with shims? Is the middle position rocking now????

mdubya

Wow! What a sweet, perfect Goldtop! Awesome job with the Shims. I bet it sounds much better and is more usable. :3zone

thin sissy

Good going with the shims :dude: ! Are they held in place by just the pickup itself? (I'm wondering because I don't know if people usually glue the cavities in these old guitars)

buyusfear

So how much better does it sound with shims? Is the middle position rocking now????

Definilty sounds more full and balanced as one would expect.

Wow! What a sweet, perfect Goldtop! Awesome job with the Shims. I bet it sounds much better and is more usable. :3zone
Thanks!

Good going with the shims :dude: ! Are they held in place by just the pickup itself? (I'm wondering because I don't know if people usually glue the cavities in these old guitars)

Thanks. And yes, completely reversible. Simply laid inside the route and held in by the pickup being screwed down against them.

buyusfear

After discussing it further with the owner, he's asked for me to address the case issues along with making him a custom fit neck support as I did with this '52 last year.

3-0319-case-repair1_orig.jpg

You can see in the following pic the original case rim impression. I took extra care to secure the strap back into its exact original spot.
3-0319-case-repair3_orig.jpg

I then used an industrial staple matching that of what the original would have been, and clipped off the tips so as to not nail through the cases thin sidewall. By shooting the staple out and nailing it in by hand with a small hammer, I could control the exact positioning of the strap.
3-0319-case-repair4_orig.jpg

3-0319-case-repair6_orig.jpg

Loose lining re-glued
3-0319-case-repair9_orig.jpg

3-0319-case-repair16_orig.jpg

3-0319-case-repair19_orig.jpg

Last edited:

buyusfear

And then the case badge.
Finding the right sized brass round headed pins was crucial.

3-0319-case-repair13_orig.jpg

3-0319-case-repair15_orig.jpg

3-0319-case-repair20_orig.jpg

3-0319-case-repair23_orig.jpg

3-0319-case-repair27_orig.jpg